Plant based food locally

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The B12 in yeast triggered off my skin disorder so

> that didn?t work for me and the supplements just

> didn?t absorb properly with me so I stopped being

> vegan despite trying it for over a year.

That's weird, isn't it, considering you are only having the B12 to replace what you would otherwise be getting in a non vegan diet?

It seems to be such a complicated subject!

It a different type of B12 though.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The B12 in yeast triggered off my skin disorder

> so

> > that didn?t work for me and the supplements

> just

> > didn?t absorb properly with me so I stopped

> being

> > vegan despite trying it for over a year.

>

>

> That's weird, isn't it, considering you are only

> having the B12 to replace what you would otherwise

> be getting in a non vegan diet?

>

> It seems to be such a complicated subject!

I now have my script and will start my Vit B12 injections on Friday.

3 injections per week for 2 weeks then 1 injection every 3 Months.

I was given 10 Ampules of Hydroxocobalamin.

Just hope it works and my sight returns to normal.

Need to maintain a healthy diet with Animal Protein.

Doctor seems to think 2 pints of beer a day is Excessive and I need to cut down or stop drinking.

Not too sure about that.

Foxy

Foxy.

Stress is a monster thats for sure.

back to the IBS out of interest do you eat much Quinoa?

The reason I ask is I had IBS in my 20's and thankfully seemed to 'grow out of it" if thats possible, but also I learnt the food combinations that triggered it and have avoided them ever since.

However..a couple of years ago I started to get occurrences of IBS symptoms..bloating (really really bad)cramps and a 'dodgy tum' I was mystified until I started to think back over the occurrences and what I'd eaten..this was around the time Quinoa became fashionable and it popped up in loads of salads (I eat a lot of salads)..I did an experiment and sure enough the Quinoa was triggering the IBS symptoms.

Its so bad that a couple of months ago I was eating something that didn't have quinoa as an obvious ingredient and sure enough the symptoms soon started..I went to the place where I'd brought the wrap I'd eaten and asked and sure enough quinoa was mixed in with its filling.

Quinoa seems to be shoved into everything these days and since mentioning my allergy to friends I've found someone else who it effects in the same way.

NewWave Wrote:

> Stress is a monster thats for sure.

> back to the IBS out of interest do you eat much

> Quinoa?

> The reason I ask is I had IBS in my 20's and

> thankfully seemed to 'grow out of it" if thats

> possible, but also I learnt the food combinations

> that triggered it and have avoided them ever

> since.

> However..a couple of years ago I started to get

> occurrences of IBS symptoms..bloating (really

> really bad)cramps and a 'dodgy tum' I was

> mystified until I started to think back over the

> occurrences and what I'd eaten..this was around

> the time Quinoa became fashionable and it popped

> up in loads of salads (I eat a lot of salads)..I

> did an experiment and sure enough the Quinoa was

> triggering the IBS symptoms.

> Its so bad that a couple of months ago I was

> eating something that didn't have quinoa as an

> obvious ingredient and sure enough the symptoms

> soon started..I went to the place where I'd

> brought the wrap I'd eaten and asked and sure

> enough quinoa was mixed in with its filling.

> Quinoa seems to be shoved into everything these

> days and since mentioning my allergy to friends

> I've found someone else who it effects in the same

> way.

Oh, that's very interesting. I have eaten quite a bit of quinoa lately, but not in the last week.

Unfortunately I can't really pin down when the really bad bloating started. I didn't take all that much notice at first, because I had read that steroids caused you to put on weight around the abdomen (?)

Until I realised that far from the little bulge I had previously, I looked about eight months pregnant :)) And I was really uncomfortable most of the time.

I think I've been eating far too much, and shovelling down beans, seeds and nuts because Dr Greger's book seemed to imply the more of this stuff you ate, the healthier you would be.

I probably now need to do an elimination diet to try and find out the cause. What a pain. I have been writing down everything I've eaten and drunk for a year, but not usually the quantities.

I'll look back and see when I first started the quinoa (I went out and bought it specially, as well!)

But I suspect that different people have different reactions to different things. Though I have read that usually IBS has nothing to do with food allergies?

Do get a proper diagnosis of IBS before doing an elimination diet, as IBS symptoms mimic symptoms of other conditions. But once you have a diagnosis then the Monash University FODMAP app is great for managing elimination and re-introduction do you can find out your individual trigger foods.

Carrie Wrote:

> Do get a proper diagnosis of IBS before doing an

> elimination diet, as IBS symptoms mimic symptoms

> of other conditions. But once you have a diagnosis

> then the Monash University FODMAP app is great for

> managing elimination and re-introduction do you

> can find out your individual trigger foods.

Yes, thank you, I will. I realise it could be something more serious.

For IBS - can recommend doing The York Test - ~?200 but got to the root of my problem quickly.

I hear lots of good things about Symprove for IBS.

In terms of plant based food locally, Naifs in Peckham is really great food.

PSJ wrote:

>For IBS - can recommend doing The York Test - ~?200 but got to the root of my problem quickly.

>I hear lots of good things about Symprove for IBS.

>In terms of plant based food locally, Naifs in Peckham is really great food.

I googled the York test.

There seem to be quite a few disgruntled people on Trust Pilot ....

Also there seems to be an issue over whether what it specifically tests for is relevant to IBS.

I will do more research!

I was already taking a prebiotic and a probiotic, but I have stopped taking Inulin pro tem in case the fibre is contributing to the problem.

Whereabouts in Peckham is Naifs?

(Edited because it went over the page, so it wasn't clear what I was responding to!)

Hi Sue

Hope you are well, when you have time pop into the shop for a chat, if you want. I can give you advice on what to eat, sounds like you have restricted yourself.

I am not sure if you knew I a have BSc MSC in Nutritional therapy. I am about to start my phD in Nutrition , Thyroid health.

Take care