Plant based food locally

There's thousands of them zooming about, it is bad for the environment,which is part of modern life.

-------------------------------------------------------

> Grove boy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Deliveroo and other such apps are hardly good

> for

> > the environment. I must have seen thirty or so

> > parked up around Brixton alone tonight,another

> > load parked on Lordship lane with engines

> running.

>

>

> It is not Deliveroo per se which is bad for the

> environment. It is getting food delivered (sorry

> but that's part of modern life) but more to the

> point, people keeping their engines running, which

> should be made illegal.

Raised by Bears Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sorry for the ignorance, but what's the

> difference

> > between 'plant based' and vegan?

>

>

> Plant based is based around food

> Vegan is based around the exploitation of animals

Don't you mean vegan is based around avoiding anything which exploits animals? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sue Wrote:

> Ganapati has some good veggie options - we've just

> ordered a couple via Deliveroo.

>

> Only a few actually vegan, but likely to be more

> interesting than the Lordship Lane offerings, and

> only a tad more expensive. I'm not strictly vegan

> anyway.

>

> The menu you can download via this page is the

> current one - they change it quite frequently I

> think:

>

> http://www.ganapatitakeaway.com/

>

> If you want to eat in, it's this page:

>

> http://www.ganapatirestaurant.com/

>

> Haven't been there for ages, but now wondering why

> :) Had in mind that it was expensive, but Memsaab

> seem to have put their prices up, so it's now

> comparable.

>

> We used to mostly go to and have takeaways from

> Surma, but sadly it's closed.

>

> ETA: If you are a meat eater, their chicken is

> free range, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case

> at other local Indian restaurants, though I stand

> to be corrected.

Sadly the meal we had on that occasion was very disappointing.

Hopefully an off night, but it hasn't made us inclined to order from Ganapati again.

It wasn't helped by the fact that one of the main courses they sent was wrong. They sent the right one very quickly and let us keep the wrong one (it had been opened, anyway) but that was a bit annoying.

As it turned out, the one we hadn't ordered was the best of the three.

I've always liked Ganapati's food, so it pains me to write this :(

I assume they have a different chef at their takeaway restaurant, which is in a different building and different road to their eat-in restaurant, so maybe that could explain it?

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> We had a very disappointing meal from Ganapati

> once... rubbery squid... tough, hard-to-check

> lamb. But every time since it has been good. They

> change their menu quite often, maybe they just

> don't quite hit the mark now and again.

Yes, hopefully that was the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Luca's on North Cross Road also has lots of vegan options, and vegan cake. Yum!

Most places have vegan options now - in addition to the Actress, the Great Exhibition has a lovely Sunday roast, and there are vegan burgers on their reg menu too (IIRC!). Watson's General Telegraph (Forest Hill Road) also has vegan options and vegan Sunday roast. I imagine all the pubs do. Check the Tiger in Camberwell too - fab Sunday roast.

There's lots of takeaway available through the various delivery services. We love the Full Nelson in Deptford, the same people do the kitchen in the Four Quarters, which we have indulged in on Deliveroo...

Mostly though, we cook at home...

ooh, didn't realise Full Nelson was at Four Quarters and Deliveroo! Danger... Is it ALL vegan? Can't tell from the menu.

Meatliquor do a surprisingly incredible vegan hot dog. 2 Girls Cafe by the top of Peckham Rye, also do good hot dogs and a range of other healthier vegan food include vegan cakes.

• 2 months later...

I'm having doubts about my plant-based diet.

I think it's given me IBS. Which is a bit ironic as I changed my diet for health reasons.

Too many beans, nuts and seeds I think. Plus all the other "How Not To Die" food recommendations, most of which appear to be things not to eat if you have IBS.

:( :( :(

I had the same issue. I?ve got IBS and auto immune illnesses and as a plant-based diet is heavy in grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and carbs I ended up with a constant swollen stomach as well as another auto immune illness. I find I fare a lot better with fish and the occasional grass fed/free range meat with vegetables and fruits that isn?t too taxing on the gut. Your body is your best guide.

Sue Wrote:

> I'm having doubts about my plant-based diet.

>

> I think it's given me IBS. Which is a bit ironic

> as I changed my diet for health reasons.

>

> Too many beans, nuts and seeds I think. Plus all

> the other "How Not To Die" food recommendations,

> most of which appear to be things not to eat if

> you have IBS.

>

> :( :( :(

I have been trying to give up meat and animal products. I am Not a big meat eater.

I've been eating lots of veggie curries.

Recently I have been suffering from Vision problems.

I.E. Double Vision on Distant Upright objects. The TV aerials on the roofs of the houses opposite my house.

and watching football. All the players have 4 legs. the goal post uprights are doubled..

Even watching TV. any upright object is doubled.

After Extensive tests at Kings.. it has revealed that I have damage to both my Optic Nerves.

Blood tests have revealed that I have a Serious deficiency in Vitamin B12.

I am now due to start a series of Vit B12 injections.

4 injections a week for next 2 - 3 months.

Problem is Dulwich Medical Cen only have 1 person once a week that can give the injections..

Supplements are of no use as Vit B12 is Not easily absorbed into the body.

Even Doses of 1,000 microgrms do not help.

Only injections are effective and 'Can' hopefully reverse the eye damage if it has not progressed too far.

The Cause of the problem is poor diet and lack of Vit B12 which is only found in Animal products.

Meat, Fish, Eggs, Cheese, Dairy.

There is no Vit B12 in Vegetable plant based diets.

I am at the moment unable to Drive. I cannot see/read road signs. I cannot see Bus numbers

or read Train indicator boards.

Foxy

d.b Wrote:

> You're clearly not a marmite lover Foxy... that

> stuff has B12 packed in it.

Like I said. Vit B12 is not easily absorbed from Supplements or indeed food.

Only a Very small percentage of Vit B12 eaten is actually absorbed.

Red meat is the Best food rich in Vit B12. but once deficient only Injections will build up the Vit B12 in the body.

to a safe level.

Foxy

Fox, I'm sorry you are ill but it sounds as if your deficiency has been building up for a long time and/or is due to something other than eating more vegetables.

A lot of plant-based foods, eg soya milk, are fortified with B12, precisely because people on a plant-based diet are not going to get it naturally in the foods they are eating.

Anybody on a plant-based diet should be taking B12 supplements. For most people there is no problem with B12 being absorbed into the body by tablets.

This thread is about to get lounged, I fear.

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> I had the same issue. I?ve got IBS and auto immune

> illnesses and as a plant-based diet is heavy in

> grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and carbs I ended up

> with a constant swollen stomach as well as another

> auto immune illness. I find I fare a lot better

> with fish and the occasional grass fed/free range

> meat with vegetables and fruits that isn?t too

> taxing on the gut. Your body is your best guide.

>

Yep, I originally thought my swollen stomach was due to steroids I am on for an auto immune illness, but then after I went more or less completely plant-based it got much much worse.

Anyway, long tedious story and I am sick of the sight of hospitals so I hope this doesn't lead to yet more of them :(

Sue - sorry to learn about your digestive problems. Truth is, many of us cannot cope with what is described as healthy eating. It seems everybody who suffers from IBS experiences it differently with different triggers, and the old advice of ?eat more fibre? can make it worse. I?ve found following a low FODMAP diet has been beneficial and avoiding onions and garlic which are my particular kryptonite. Also, I?m interested in the relationship between stress and IBS: does stress contribute to IBS or does a bout of IBS make it more difficult to handle stress?

https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Nutritional yeast is a good source of b12. It can be added to any dish you make as an ingredient to add umami (curry, pasta dishes etc) and also sprinkled as a topping to dishes. I put it on everything and have even been known to eat it on its own. However, it is easy to ?hide? tonnes in your cooking if you aren?t a fan. It?s low on calories.

nxjen Wrote:

I?m interested

> in the relationship between stress and IBS: does

> stress contribute to IBS or does a bout of IBS

> make it more difficult to handle stress?

Yes, it's a vicious circle, it seems.

I have had a very stressful couple of years, during which I got two chronic illnesses, both of which may have been caused by stress and both of which greatly affected my life and stopped me doing things, so then having the illnesses caused additional stress (plus I had some unrelated visits to A and E on top of the hospital visits for the other illnesses).

I moved to a mainly plant based diet very suddenly (gave away a load of food in my cupboard and freezer) as a result of reading the book "How Not To Die" which gives a great deal of scientific evidence about how certain foods lead to illness and other foods help the body to resist illness.

It was all going fine until recently. However I then had two fast tracked hospital appointments for two different potentially serious things, with follow up tests etc, all within a few weeks, and it has been during that stressful time that what may or may not be IBS has got much much worse.

And then the discomfort of the IBS and trying not to eat things which will make it worse, plus wondering if the symptoms could be due to something more serious, causes additional stress.

So I do wonder how much is stress and how much is the diet, however it seems that once your body has succumbed to IBS it will never properly recover. I've only just started reading about it though, and I haven't yet been to the GP to get a diagnosis.

Anyway, I'm adjusting the diet as a first step. I've been doing mindfulness meditation which I've found does help with the stress, but stressful external events are obviously outwith one's control.

My best wishes to everyone else reading this who is coping with stress and illness. I think there are lots of us (and many much worse off than me, I know).

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> Nutritional yeast is a good source of b12. It can

> be added to any dish you make as an ingredient to

> add umami (curry, pasta dishes etc) and also

> sprinkled as a topping to dishes. I put it on

> everything and have even been known to eat it on

> its own. However, it is easy to ?hide? tonnes in

> your cooking if you aren?t a fan. It?s low on

> calories.

Yes, it's great. I use Engevita. You can get it at Health Matters in Lordship Lane.