General Election Hustings

alnmr

Mark T, thanks for organising this, is this the case that the times are to fit in with candidates timetables. Can you tell us who has got back to you and the candidates who have agreed to come. It would be interesting to know. Thanks

The daytime timetable may attract parents at home, older people not wanting to go out in the dark, some students?

Admit the last Hustings at the Centre was not as well attended as previous. When Tessa Jowell was MP the attendance was high. The local elections hustings have been more variable and the ward changes may have added to a poor turnout.

Pugwash, do you know if leafleting is done for hustings? Is any help needed. Is there a group of people in the community centre organise this.

Mark T Is there any confirmation on candidates who are attending? I have only found out this is organised by the community not local council. Thank you.

TE44,

The 11am to 1pm time slot, was chosen in discussion with Helen Hayes and the conservative party to suit their timetables. The EDCC had offered a Friday evening; the group who uses the Centre on Friday evenings had agreed to step aside to free up that slot.

Jonathan Bartley later responded and agreed to that time. The other, newly announce candidates are being invited.

MarkT

The turnout for the EDCC Hustings, last time, was disappointing, much reduced from previous elections, Westminster or local. That was an evening event. Perhaps the daytime slot will attract some older people or parents with young children. No time would suit everyone.

If you have questions to submit in advance, please send to [email protected]

MarkT

I am concerned that the time might to be suitable. I am a student and I will be in uni during the 11-1pm and most people will be at work, or making important appointment. I understand the timing might suits Helen Haynes and the Conservative candidate, but I think the focus on the electorate.

I undertand the candidates might be busy, but the husting should be a forum for voters as well? Our needs should also be considered. I think an evening hustings would better especially if its a friday. Can I suggest any time after 4.30?

Hustings at both general and local elections tend to happen in more than one venue - I recall at the last general election that there were at least another four venues at different times/dates around the constituency. These are generally organised by other interest groups i.e businesses/shopkeepers/local discussion groups etc. If you cannot make the EDCCA hustings there is bound to be another somewhere in the area.

Hustings are open to all and do not require booking.

Each party organisers their own publicity and canvassing - they tend to undertake a specific area and flood them with volunteers delivering leaflets and door knocking, then move onto another defined area. If you have shown interest in the past - you may get email communications.

Another hustings will be held at the Baptist Church, Half Moon Lane on 3 December from 7 - 9pm

?Hosted by the Herne Hill Forum, Norwood Forum and Dulwich Society among others, the event is expected to be packed after 2015?s had standing room only.

Issues up for debate include the future of King?s College Hospital, climate breakdown and Brexit. Any questions in advance should be emailed to [email protected]. Step-free access on the night is via Winterbook Road.?

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/general-election-2019-first-hustings-announced-across-southwark/?fbclid=IwAR2rI6QiX83IeMQ0cLhK6dGXyO63fM8WWtjc9dZg3_UVt23Odw54JAPc00g