?Banning? things thread.

Seabag

I think you?re only supposed to ban things that are fun, bad for you, and that people can either get offended by or judgemental about.

Smelly cheese. Can?t think why it?s not even on the radar yet. It?s delicious, has unhealthy fat levels, and people can choose from being offended by the smell or the cattle-bothering involved. It?s perfect for banning.

I?d say kids in pubs would be on the ban list too, but that?s pretty much a given and we?ve done it to death by now. Strong beer in pubs though? Could ban that and make them serve mild. Can you even order a pint of mild anywhere now?

If this is a fun thread there is already one about the irrational rage. I'd include the latest fad of making calls on speaker when you are in a public area. Great when you are on the bus. This tops watching videos on your phone without using earphones or insisting on showing other people your videos and YouTube clips on your phone with your bally tinny speakers.

If is is a serious thread have a look on what I said earlier - failure of other means to control, appetite for regulation (oh no, we don't want to alienate drivers....), costs/effectiveness and unintended consequences including the black market and fueling criminality.

Having said the rise in on-line betting is feeding an addiction. Self regulation is about as successful as letting the fast food/soft drinks industry reduce abuse.

Can we ban foreign mustard now Brexit is within eye poking distance? Can?t stand the bland, vinegary tasteless muck people eat as a inferior alternative to proper English mustard.

I was once fingered out in a restaurant by a friend for requesting it with my steak. At no stage in my existence have I ever felt so protective of this wonderfully spicy condiment. My friend suggested I have some fancy French crap instead, from that day to this I have remained loyal to Colman?s.

Louisa.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I accept your point. But I think a crackdown on

> vehicles should probably be emissions based (or

> maybe by size/weight?). A large saloon or estate

> could be heavier, and more polluting, than a small

> to mid-size SUV.

SUVs are generally heavier / less aerodynamic and so more polluting than similar, non-SUV models. They also pose considerably more risk to pedestrians as their increased height causes more upper body injuries even at relatively low speeds and they can easily mount pavements / ride through barriers when out of control. There is no need for people to adopt pseudo military vehicles in the city - we used to mock the US for driving around in these things, now (sadly) Europe seems to be adopting them.

They are heavily marketed of course, as the margins are much bigger than on smaller cars.

Interesting article on it in the FT this morning: https://www.ft.com/content/2967c9e2-ffc3-11e9-b7bc-f3fa4e77dd47

Spartacus Wrote:

> Louisa wrote:

> ----------------.-

> > I was once fingered out in a restaurant by a

> > friend

> > Louisa.

>

>

> WOW

We shouldn't ban fingering in restaurants. This is a fun and wholesome activity. You don't need to be Richard Gere to do it either.

I'd avoid mustard though. You'll get complaints.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> SUVs are generally heavier / less aerodynamic and

> so more polluting than similar, non-SUV models.

> They also pose considerably more risk to

> pedestrians as their increased height causes more

> upper body injuries even at relatively low speeds

Yes. Generally. But not in all cases. Restricting specific attributes of vehicles makes more sense than just saying "SUVs". It may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but many SUVs are hybrid... and some are actually quite compact..

Loutwo Wrote:

> Can we ban foreign mustard now Brexit is within

> eye poking distance? Can?t stand the bland,

> vinegary tasteless muck people eat as a inferior

> alternative to proper English mustard.

> Louisa.

The EU already banned Colmans French Mustard for you back in 2001.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/unilever-ditch-colmans-french-mustard-brand/13401?src_site=brandrepublic

SpringTime Wrote:

> Spartacus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Louisa wrote:

> > ----------------.-

> > > I was once fingered out in a restaurant by a

> > > friend

> > > Louisa.

> >

> >

> > WOW

>

> We shouldn't ban fingering in restaurants. This is

> a fun and wholesome activity. You don't need to be

> Richard Gere to do it either.

>

>

Say yes yes yes if you think Louisa was the insperation for Sally meeting Harry ?

Good Dijon mustard is worthy of its place at the table, along side a good English mustard.

But I don?t mean the aberration that is ?French (but not really) French mustard? all brown and unpleasant.That stuff is banished to ?Banished Condiments Island? along with sweet mint jelly.

However, please don?t treat this thread as a sharking pond for your anti-French nonsense. I like the French, even the awkward ones.

• 5 weeks later...

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> -----

> > SUVs are generally heavier / less aerodynamic

> and

> > so more polluting than similar, non-SUV models.

> > They also pose considerably more risk to

> > pedestrians as their increased height causes

> more

> > upper body injuries even at relatively low

> speeds

>

> Yes. Generally. But not in all cases. Restricting

> specific attributes of vehicles makes more sense

> than just saying "SUVs". It may sound like I'm

> splitting hairs, but many SUVs are hybrid... and

> some are actually quite compact..

?Fostering vehicle weight reduction could produce greater cumulative emissions savings by 2050 than those obtained by incentivising a fast transition to electric drivetrains"

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsta.2016.0364

rahrahrah Wrote:

> fishbiscuits Wrote:

> -----

> > rahrahrah Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > SUVs are generally heavier / less aerodynamic

> > and

> > > so more polluting than similar, non-SUV

> models.

> > > They also pose considerably more risk to

> > > pedestrians as their increased height causes

> > more

> > > upper body injuries even at relatively low

> > speeds

> >

> > Yes. Generally. But not in all cases.

> Restricting

> > specific attributes of vehicles makes more

> sense

> > than just saying "SUVs". It may sound like I'm

> > splitting hairs, but many SUVs are hybrid...

> and

> > some are actually quite compact..

>

>

> ?Fostering vehicle weight reduction could produce

> greater cumulative emissions savings by 2050 than

> those obtained by incentivising a fast transition

> to electric drivetrains"

>

> https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rst

> a.2016.0364

You?re banned rahrahrah

Cut & paste + a link isn?t good enough

Next?

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as Corbyn is going, all be it slowly, like a verruca that gets attacked daily with salicylic acid. I?d like to propose a ?ban? on the Labour Party using the frikkin? ?MANDATE? word ever again.

That overused word is one that?s turned-me-off from what they?re saying, more than when anything else, it?s like a ?mute? button in my brain.