Beauty products/ remedies you swear by..

What are they? Thought about this today as having to seriously reign spending on these things with my not so spending friendly SMP.

So it got me thinking about what products that really make a difference and the ones that dont. Please share your tips with me. Anything goes but a special interest in cheap and multitasking products that are fast to apply. Have never been someone with a 4 step evening cleansing routine...

Edited to say that clearly i wash just not the pre cleanse, cleanse, toner, serum, moisturising routine.

It's not cheap but lasts for ages and is a godsend - modelco mascara (danni minogue one) - it literally washes off in the shower and I have never had panda eyes ones so takes away he need to cleanse in the morning which saves me time.. Looks great as well. It will last you 6 months, more so if like me on mat leave you don't wear it every day.

Vaseline - good for lips obviously but also eyebrows...

I tried to economise last year but actually found that the more expensive foundation was better value - you use so much less. Clinique is what seems to suit me for that.

I buy Rimmel lipsticks as I change colour of outfits a lot and need lots of differently coloured lipsticks accordingly.

dulwichgirl2 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Vaseline - good for lips obviously but also

> eyebrows...

> I tried to economise last year but actually found

> that the more expensive foundation was better

> value - you use so much less. Clinique is what

> seems to suit me for that.

> I buy Rimmel lipsticks as I change colour of

> outfits a lot and need lots of differently

> coloured lipsticks accordingly.

Yes i totally agree that you get what you pay for very often. I have very sensitive skin so always need to struggle to find products that suit. Most of the time that means spending more Which i dont mind if i get results! Its the very costly mistakes of all promising miracle cures (tend to fall for them all) that i am trying to avoid.

I have a tip a french brand avene seems to agree with my skin and i use bobbi brown foundations and blushers. Not cheap but worth it for me. Also found lloyds pharmacy great as they do half price regularly so i try to stock up when the products i use are on offer.

Have a look at this, quite interesting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/2012/jun/08/sali-hughes-hero-products-under-10

Also use Avene as have a bit of redness these days, I think it is included in the Boots 3 for 2 at present although need to go to the bigger branches for proper selection, Wimbledon/Croydon. A lot of the more price competitive French products are worth checking out, Roche Posey, ROC, Avene as they are all manufactured by Pharmaceutical companies, so a lot of R&D and science behind them.

Am using Boots No 7 melting wash cleanser at present too, but not quite sure about it yet, cheaper alternative to Clarins Melting wash really, still those ?5 off Boots vouchers come in handy.

Am intrigued by the ?3 Aldi serum in above article though. I confess I did succumb to the Kate Mosse Rimmel lipstick mentioned, and it is super!

My days of the ?40 moisturiser are but a distant memory but I actually enjoy finding a bargain that works.

Edit: ye gads I put wrong link, but have corrected now.

Recently tried some of these products http://www.etatpur.co.uk/

I am not disciplined enough to use daily /properly but so far have found them easy to use and not expensive.

I keep meaning to go and buy more (only got an eye serum, daily tinted moisturiser which is great, resveratrol serum and gel cleanser also fab). First order delivery is free and they send samples too

Vaseline as a makeup remover! I swear, my mum has used it always since she was 15, her skin is absolutely amazing. Needless to say I now do the same ;-)

Don't buy expensive pore strips. If you buy the sachets of powder gelatine in supermarket you can make your own. 2 tsp of gelatine to 2 tsp of milk or water mix and pop in the microwave for 10-20 seconds until you have a glue texture then brush on your T-zone, wait to dry and peel off. Perfectly safe, cheap and works fantastically. Highly recommend.

Also if you wear nail varnish, I'm a addict. Through my extensive years of collecting, and working through beauty at boots I came to the conclusion very quickly that expensive nail varnishes are the biggest waste of money. I used to spend ?20 per pot, easily. To apply it and it to be flaking off within 48 hours. So I started trying cheaper versions, much to my hearts discontent. NYColour 60 second polishs are amongst the best, lasting upto 2 weeks on toes and a week on fingers. Also BeautyUK last extremely well too. Some days I find it really hard painting my nails, even with a 3 years old, but it's one of those things that makes you feel soooo much better, especially during summer. Has to be done. I never use salons for extensions etc due to the damage it causes my nails and the price!!

Sali Hughes' column in the Guardian is great for beauty recommendations. Also her facebook group is amazing https://www.facebook.com/groups/303915806295784/

My one big tip would be to do hot cloth cleansing at the end of the day using a cream cleanser and flannel. Superdrug Vitamin E hot cloth cleanser is nice and not expensive. Also if you use a BB cream that cuts out lots of steps as it combines the job of moisturiser, tinted moisturiser, SPF protection etc. I like the Boots No. 7 one.

• 1 year later...

I love the Sanctuary range that you can find at Boots, often on a 3 for 2. They seem to last for ages. Particularly like the hot cloth cleanser and the illuminating moisturiser.

Do you have dry skin? If I'm going out to walk/cycle any further than a few minutes in winter I cover my face with vaseline and it makes a notable difference.

The other thing I love is the Neil's Yard Frankincense night cream.....again, if your skin is really dry like mine. It's ?30 but lasts for ages.

One thing I would love to find is a really good eye cream. I've given up and just accepted the wrinkles as I can't seem to find any that makes any difference at all...

Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser is great, gives you an instant lift, kind of dewy looking, and is light. Also has SPF.

I started using Benefit mascara recently, it's expensive it has to be said, but lasts for ages cos the brush is economical.

I have never worn blusher until a few months ago as I thought of it as something my mum would have worn in the 90s, but I had my make up done in space NK and ended up buying a Laura Mercier blusher which is peachy in tone rather than rosy, and it looks up to date and (I like to think, hahahahahah!) quite youthful! I feared I would look like Aunt Sally from Worzel Gummidge when they first suggested it, but it's actually great for giving you a bit of a glow.

Hoola bronzer by Benefit is good because it lasts forever and is brown in shade rather than orangey which a lot of bronzers seem to be. Plus it's matte. The glittery ones remind me of my first misguided forays into sparkly powder from the Body Shop hastily applied on the school coach!

I was given something very nice for Christmas which is a scent from the Demeter Range which my partner got from Rouiller White on Lordship Lane. You can get one that smells of virtually anything!

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/58083/All-Classic-Scents.html

I have had really dry skin over winter and started putting bio oil on my face and neck/chest(figured as I had it in the cupboard anyway and couldn't be arsed to sort out a night cream etc)

It's brilliant and my skin is much less dry. I suspect any oil suitable for facial use would have the same effect. When I'm out of all the oils I have I am going to start buying the Neal's yard one, someone got me some 'mothers massage oil' from there and their products are just so lovely to use.

I agree re decent foundation. I had to chuck all of my makeup due to getting conjunctivitis (yuk) and bought mostly cheap stuff to stock up but had to go back for Clinique foundation! Plan to gradually stock up with good products over the year so will watch this thread with interest.

Also for lips, I just out moisturiser on them. Tastes gross but works!

And for day cream I use the oil of Olay because I always have! Can't imagine changing.

YSL foundation is great - think it's the touche eclat one (similar format to the highlighter/concealer of the same name - comes with a big paintbrush style applicator, really easy to put on). For lighter/day coverage I like Clinique CC cream. I have a Becca concealer, but not sure if they're still for sale in the UK (they used to sell them in Dr Boo) - I combine that with Liz Earle version of YSL touche eclat which I read about in Sali Hughes' column, as mentioned above.

St Ives apricot scrub is one of those budget cult beauty buys, I recently got one and I really rate it. I have really sensitive skin but seems fine with this. Because of having bad eczema/sensitive skin, I tend to use doublebase (emolient for dry skin) as a cleanser and moisturiser. But I got a Clinique sample moisturiser with the bonus they do in the summer (think it's called Renewal, but will check) and I really rate it.

I have a Clinique eye cream I use when I remember - I also like Dr Hauschka's eye balm. I use the latter more because I get dry skin around my eyes, no idea if it helps with the wrinkles!

Second Benefit mascara - think it's called They're Real? I'm on my second one, they are truly the best mascaras, and I've tried a lot!

Clarins have a great new eyeliner out - 3 dot liquid liner - foolproof applicaiton but really hard to get at the moment - I'm on the waiting list at Dr Boo!!

I used to be anti blusher too, but now wouldn't go without it. I got a nice thing from Benefit recently called Lollitint I think, they also do Benetint which is great,and they do loads of nice powder blushes - coralista is my favourite.

After years of lipgloss have got back into proper lipstick recently, got a lovely coral one from Clarins which I've worn loads.

Nars & Laura Mercier do great eye shadows.

Also - if you're looking for a treat - Benefit in Carnaby Street have a new champagne bar/treatment area downstairs and you can book in for one of those makeup lessons where you redeem the cost against products, could be a fun outing if you're looking to stock up? I really rate their stuff (if it wasn't obvious from the above!).

Finally, I saw you the other day and you definitely did not look 10 years older! You're as lovely and freshfaced as ever - so take heart :)

I'm a convert to Palmers Cocoa Butter facial range. It's cheap and cheerful but works for me. I get it from feelunique.com

I find Clinique 'Even Better' foundation and their Airbrush concealer work well. They also have a nice creamy pencil eyeliner which always makes me look as if I have made a bit of an effort but only takes 20 seconds to apply.

I also feel better when I think my hair looks OK. I used to love Tigi's Oatmeal & Honey shampoo & conditioner, and have just seen that they have started selling it again (they discontinued it for a while for some reason) and now also have a deep conditioner as well. I will be stocking up on the tween sizes! I also have a professional Parlux hairdryer which is the size of a speed gun and has the power of a rocket launcher so that I can dry my hair quickly but get a sleek-ish result. Also have GHD's but only use sparingly due to an unfortunate fringe-breaking-off due to overuse in my teens...

Enjoying reading this thread.

Another vote for Laura Mercier products, the tinted moisturiser is brilliant as is the illuminating primer. You can wear both or either depending on how made up you want to look.

I also really like Cliniques chubby sticks for lips, they seems to provide more colour than other lip glosses and aren't shiny or sticky. I think they do one for eyes too...

The last time I saw you you looked great, absolutely not 10 years older!

About 10 years ago, I found myself spending loads of money of beauty products, and I got fed up with it. I had 2 (or 3? I can't remember) IPL treatments to clear up adult acne. Not only did it clear up the acne, it improved my skin overall.

More recently, about 4/5 years ago, I had pixel laser treatment (only 2 sessions, it's very expensive). This was mainly to remove early signs of sun damage, but it also smoothed fine lines around my eyes and overall improved my skin. Pixel is one of the few lasers that's safe to use on the area around the eyes.

Yes, these treatments are expensive, but when I think of all the money I've saved NOT buying loads of other make-up and beauty products, it was a really good investment.

IPL is much cheaper than laser treatment. It doesn't penetrate as deep into the skin, so the results are not as dramatic. Then again, it's also much less painful. IPL doesn't really hurt at all. Pixel laser felt like having a really bad sunburn, and the skin peels noticeably afterwards. So don't have pixel laser right before a holiday or special event! I had treatments through The Private Clinic, and the staff were all really friendly. xx

No 7 foundation. After years of spending money on expensive foundations that don't quite do it, v pleased to have discovered this. The magic lady used a magic machine in a big boots in town and the shade matches my skin perfectly. And more expensive but brilliant is the nars matt lipstick in scarlet red.

Aw thank you for chipping in- i love a beauty chat! I have tried and tested many of the recommended items and the rest will be dealt with too.

Also I had Carly around to do my hair and I feel so much better. Next thing I must do is loose weight. Will help me.

I am suffering from roseacea and have bad flare ups.

Any recommendations for sensitive types? X

• 3 weeks later...

Hi midivydale - if you really need to spring clean your appearance then you'll need to use a face cream which has active ingredients. Most products available in the shops have few active ingredients, although they often have huge marketing budgets! Given that you're also struggling with roseacea, you might like to consider going to a dermatologist.

Try googling Tretinoin or Obagi. These are the types of creams that a dermatologist or medical practitioner would sell. You use tiny tiny amounts of these products, at bedtime. Sometimes a first-time user displays signs of dryness, but this is usually temporary. To be clear, nothing you buy over the counter will change your skin; for that you need retinals/retinoids.

Obagi is very powerful and effective and you must buy it from a reputable source. People actually sell this on ebay but you should stay well clear. If you go to the website you can find legitimate places to buy.

http://obagi.uk.com/

Feel free to PM me if you want to know where to get it.

Personally, I use Tretinoin (0.025% proof) a couple of times a week at bedtime.

If your current condition is caused by sun-damage then consider laser treatment. Nothing is more ageing than sun-damaged skin and to redress the damage you need to take drastic action - like a laser peel.

The rest of the time I use ordinary moisturisers, as it is important to keep the skin hydrated. I have used lot of different products but the range I keep coming back to is Eminence, which is a range of organic natural products that have been around for over 50 years. Buy here

http://theskinsmith.co.uk/

I particularly recommend the Lavender Night Eye Cream and the Sun Defence Mineral Powder (SPF 30).

I am also fond of Trilogy's Rosehip Oil when I need a moisture surge!

http://www.trilogyproducts.com/products/range/rosehip-oil?gclid=CIn50q7Dj70CFVKWtAoddGoAcA

Aside from all this, I'm a firm believer that you are what you eat, so pay attention to your diet. It's a cliche that everyone bangs on about drinking a lot of water - but it is true. If I don't drink 2 litres a day minimum, my skin feels less hydrated.

For make-up, keep it simple and don't buy too many products which will clutter up your make-up bag and you won't use. At the moment I'm using a lot from the Charlotte Tilbury range, which you can get from Selfridges. It really comes down to personal choice.

http://www.charlottetilbury.com/

Your daytime moisturiser/foundation should always have minimum of 30SPF, even in winter, but use a product with no SPF if you're getting your photo taken as otherwise the flash will bounce off the SPF and make you look like a ghost (e.g. it's a disaster for a bride to wear an SPF on her wedding day.

Oh, and get your eyebrows professionally shaped - that's a very cheap face-lift.

Laura Mercier primer.

Clinique tinted moisturizer

Bobbi brown long wear eye liner - the one in the pot doesn't smudge and stays on all day

Bobbi brown long wear mascara

Mac has discontinued the lip conditioner i was going to recommend.

Totally agree with the comment about getting your eyebrows done properly.

Good luck!