random stuff

El Pibe

Can't agree Callaghan was weak - in many ways the most underated. Dealt a monumentally bad hand, a wafer thin majority reduced to zero, held together a party tearing iteslf apart, with Healey started to turn the economy around (with proto thatcherite policies)just made a monumental misjudgemant on not calling the election in '78 when the economy was strengthening and he was above Thatcher in the polls,,,,,the 'Winter of Discontent' then did for him

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, undoubtably he had his faults. But show me a

> PM that didn't?

>

> Churchill? Bombastic war criminal

> MacMillan? Disloyal

> Eden? Conceited

> Douglas-Home? Unelected

> Wilson? Devious

> Callaghan? - Weak

> Heath? - emotionally unstable

> Thatcher? - blind to pragmatism

>

> And so it goes on....

Yes... well, we'd all have been stumped when it came to choosing the adjective that would most accurately have described Blair.

He was a terrible Chancellor. Obsessed with his own targets he cooked the books, funnelling too much into desperately terrible ppp/ppi deals we're stuck with for the next 20 years and once this was all brought on balance sheet absolutely shattering his spending targets.

Basically he looked good because he presided over the good times and still managed to end up in the red.

Decent man, I think so, decent Chancellor, no way.

In the end an election is about choosing a government and a parliament. We are clear where we stand, in spite of our misgivings. We want to see Labour re-elected to government and we want to see more Liberal Democrats returned to parliament, at whichever other party's expense. What we do not want are more Tory MPs, so we therefore urge progressive voters in the overwhelming majority of Labour or Liberal Democrat held seats to rally behind the incumbent party. Only in a tiny handful of seats - see elsewhere in today's paper - is it safe for Labour voters to switch to the Liberal Democrats without the risk of allowing the Tories to win. Elsewhere, think very carefully before you vote. You are voting not just for yourself but for others, frequently less fortunate, whose life chances rest on your good sense.

Wow - you're right after all. What a ringing endorsement for the man that is. Vote Labour and hopefully he'll bugger off soon enough.

And it certainly doesn't prevent a vast number of writers and columnists having dissenting views - not something you'll see much of at GQ.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here either - do you actually support or like these awards. Or are you just using any opportunity to try and highlight hypocrisy amongst the press? Something akin to shooting fish in a barrell.

Your oft-claimed love of tabloids and their "honest as the day is long, guv" approach would fail miserably if one decided to pick apart their weather-vane approach of who to support come election time. The Guardian may have its failings, but at least it's consistent.

Me in 2005? I think I was back at home in Sutton at that point so probably voted Lib-Dem to keep the Tories from winning. D_C in pragmatism shocker!

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In the end an election is about choosing a

> government and a parliament. We are clear where we

> stand, in spite of our misgivings. We want to see

> Labour re-elected to government and we want to see

> more Liberal Democrats returned to parliament, at

>

> I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here

> either - do you actually support or like these

> awards. Or are you just using any opportunity to

> try and highlight hypocrisy amongst the press?

> Something akin to shooting fish in a barrell.

Nope, just pointing out that the piece in The Guardian, which you posted reeked of, well, The Guardian. Couldn't give a toss about GQ, their awards or Dylan Jones. Though with Russell Brand this year and this now his PR skills in raising the profile of his magazine are excellent

>

> Your oft-claimed love of tabloids and their

> "honest as the day is long, guv" approach would

> fail miserably if one decided to pick apart their

> weather-vane approach of who to support come

> election time. The Guardian may have its failings,

> but at least it's consistent.

Oft-claimed love of tabloids????

Really? News to me.

>

> Me in 2005? I think I was back at home in Sutton

> at that point so probably voted Lib-Dem to keep

> the Tories from winning. D_C in pragmatism

> shocker!

I didn't vote. Quids in idealism shocker!