random stuff

El Pibe

Fantastic article on historical revisionism in China.

http://www.thechinastory.org/2014/10/the-mass-line-on-a-massive-famine/

What's really interesting is that it's not some Minsitry of Truth rewriting of history but the creation of vaguely plausible doubts through offering alternative narratives and attempting to give them equal weighting.

A tactic beloved of cliamte change/holocaust deniers, conspiracy theorists and creationists, but also something we've seen very effectively used by the Kremlin's information warriors, sowing the internet with dozens of alternative narratives about anything they're vaguely criticised about in the hope, not that anything sticks but that the very concept of truth or reality is killed by it.

An excellent article at the atlantic here: http://m.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/russia-putin-revolutionizing-information-warfare/379880/

And I'm inclined to agree with quids that 'it's about the internet stupid'

or perhaps more accurately 'stupid is about the internet'

Article on drones and the impact they're starting to have in both military and civilian lives.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/drones-the-next-smartphone.html

Worth reading just to find the wedding video.

Whilst you'll probably burn in hell for laughing at someone's choice of wedding video, each to their own and all that, I'm sure God won't mind you laughing at their first take.

I can't stop staring at this lead performance. It's weirdly brilliant in a sort of hi-speed car crash fashion.

He channels a bit of everything from Jim Kerr via David Brent via Napoleon Dynamite, to Cookia Monster via Paul Shane (via Vic Reeves).

And those sliiightly mistimed punches, sick genius!!

• 3 weeks later...

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't stop staring at this lead performance.

> It's weirdly brilliant in a sort of hi-speed car

> crash fashion.

>

> He channels a bit of everything from Jim Kerr via

> David Brent via Napoleon Dynamite, to Cookia

> Monster via Paul Shane (via Vic Reeves).

>

> And those sliiightly mistimed punches, sick

> genius!!

>

This is blocked at work, but I'm guessing Future Islands?