ED - ?100 for a kids birthday cake? REALLY?

Angelina

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Konditor & Cook charge over ?100 for a large cake

> with fairly basic decoration. Not sure why a local

> baker would necessarily be cheaper.

If by large cake you mean a wedding cake with tiers, then yes. But their regular layer cakes in different flavours are less than fifty pounds.

Azalea Wrote:

> If by large cake you mean a wedding cake with

> tiers, then yes. But their regular layer cakes in

> different flavours are less than fifty pounds.

Looking at their "curly whirly cake", with no personalisation.

5" - ?17

7" - ?38

10" - ?63

13" - ?100

I accept that 13" is really rather large, but it is still just a basic single tier cake with simple decoration. The sub-?50 option, the 7", would really be too small for most kids parties I think.

> If a working mum needs some help, so what?

Exactly - So one working mum should not be so hard on what could be another working parent for charging what they charge for their time/craft.

I'm a working mum - I don't have much time these days to bake and decorate cakes, so I buy from the supermarket.

I have looked at the price of handmade cakes, it's a luxury that I cannot afford but I can see why they cost what they do.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Azalea Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If by large cake you mean a wedding cake with

> > tiers, then yes. But their regular layer cakes

> in

> > different flavours are less than fifty pounds.

>

> Looking at their "curly whirly cake", with no

> personalisation.

> 5" - ?17

> 7" - ?38

> 10" - ?63

> 13" - ?100

>

> I accept that 13" is really rather large, but it

> is still just a basic single tier cake with simple

> decoration. The sub-?50 option, the 7", would

> really be too small for most kids parties I think.

Obviously depends on how many people are invited. But there?s usually a lot of other food available that they fill up on first. I think a sheet cake works well for parties, only one part to frost, more space to put decoration. You don?t have to remove the cake from the tin. Pieces can be cut large or small and eaten with the hands.

TBH, if it were down to me, I'd get one of those big "tray" cakes from Sainsbury's, stick some figures/models and candles on top, and job done. But try telling my wife that! She loves making them herself, and will usually work all night on the bloody thing. But again, that's not for everyone.

Like most things you can buy, there is a variety of options out there to suit different budgets. And the cost-to-quality ratio is usually exponential. A ?100 cake will probably not taste twice as good, or look twice as pretty as a ?50 cake. But if a skilled independent baker charges around say ?25 per hour, and works for several hours on each bespoke cake, an also has overheads to cover.. well, then that's just what it costs and there's not really any point getting angry about it, is there.

My advice would be to buy a basic supermarket cake or readymade from a bhigh st baker and go to the shop at the end of lordship lane near the old beer distillery place that sells cake decorating stuff then I'd get my kids involved in decorating the cake , you can get incredible decorations and glitter sprinkles etc and kids love doing stuff like that.

It'd come out at less than ?50.