Just ran in to a thief in my hallway!! (oakhurst grove)

Pugwash, awful horrible horrible. Hope your husband is ok.

As a sideline, I know of an over 90s lady who had the same experience about ten years ago - she has died since but was over 100! - in her own home too. She encountered a young guy helping himself to her family's heirlooms and she drew herself up to her tiny height and said, I imagine imperiously with the genes of various army ancestors activated, "What do you think you are doing in my house? Leave my house immediately."

He left, pronto, scared she wasn't scared, and she called the police. She the. Had a cup of tea and went to bridge to relate the tale.

She said she enjoyed it rather. I personally am not looking for that sort of experience At All. Horrible.

There are always opportunist thieves around. Never assume anything. If you are feeling vulnerable in your own home after this experience (and I know that I definately would) you should consider increasing your security and getting an alarm fitted. Don't feel embarrassed to ask the workmen to be security conscious. It's your home afterall. Give one a key if they need access and tell them to shut the door behind them at all times. This guy who entered your home could have done anything and thank goodness he left without trouble. Double check and make sure he definately didn't take anything and definately do anything to your baby.

I came face to face with a man in my office once who shouldn't have been there. Having asked him what he was doing there he said he was lost and wanted the local community centre. After directing him to where he should go I discovered my purse was missing from my bag which I always kept in the bottom drawer of my desk.

Had the police not called you back you should have insisted that they came round to take details. The police are providing a service for us the public otherwise what are they there for?! You are a woman in your own home, with a baby, accosted by a strange black man outside your baby's bedroom and the police said they wont come round??!! Makes my blood boil that they said that to you. Glad they're coming round now though.

I really sympathise for you Strawbs and hope you get over the shock of it soon. Be safe. x

• 2 weeks later...

First mate I completely agree and thank you.

Josephine - fact 1 - he was black (if he was white I would have said that too). Fact 2 he was outside my son's room. Fact 3 he wasn't there to have a pleasant conversation with me or just to see how my day was going and was trespassing on my property so yes accosted is a good word to have been used.

Given this was a very traumatic experience for me and my family to the point where we are now considering leaving the area (we have been broken in to 3 times in ED) could i politely ask unless you have something constructive to add please do not come on here and nit pick as other people's posts. Posts like yours are the reason why this forum becomes ridiculous at times.

Could be wrong, but I think Josephine may have been referring to Owlwise's post as she (Josephine) wrote 'outside of giving a description'. Strawbs you gave an accurate description of what was a very upsetting and unsettling experience. I'm sorry that you have had such rotten luck and feel like you want to leave the area.

You shouldn't let this put you off ED. No big city is absolutely safe, but don't forget that many (maybe the majority) of people on here have never been broken into. And bear in mind that this particular incident was unusual as you had builders in, so security was naturally compromised. Perhaps, if you own the flat, spending some money on extra security precautions could give you some peace of mind?

I'm so sorry to hear of this incident. I can't imagine how frightening it must have been for you Strawbs.

As a dog owner and Oakhurst Grove resident, I seem to find myself walking up and down the road on a frequent basis. There are a lot of people doing work on their properties at the moment and I have noticed a lot of front doors left wide open on more than one occasion. It might be worth us all being a little bit more vigilant and asking the work men to be on their guard too (or even just to shut the doors behind them). It must be all too tempting for thieves to walk in and try their luck.

I have also noticed front doors left open at properties who don't have builders in. As I'm generally on my own, I'm often too scared to check (in case a burglar jumps out at me)but have asked passing post officers to check if anyone is in or if it's actually a break in in the past(I would want someone to check if it was my front door).

Anyways - hope I don't come across as a nosey parker - it's just something I have noticed quite often and it always worries me!