1st B'day Party Do's and Don'ts

Hello...

We are going to brave the weather and host our little one's first birthday party in our garden...do you have any suggestions on what works, what to do and what def not to do? I am getting slightly carried away I fear with decorations, cakes, toys, plates and colour coordinating the whole thing....and I have just paused, thinking....right, you're being plain silly here, this might just cost us a small fortune! So, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance ;)

Ditto, mine got a bit nervy with all the faces and full on people wanting to pick her up and play with her all the time (and she goe to nursery so isn't exactly sensitive normally!). I think a few nices toys and some music is best, whatever things he enjoys doing (sandpits etc if applicable). As others say, he will have no idea what is going on but if you are having a nice time and there is a nice atmosphere he will feed off that - so really it is a party more for you!

And yes helium balloons are always fun for that age.

I have to say don't waste your money for 1st parties.

A cake so you can take the obligatory 1st bday party pictures.

Try not to invite too many people so your little one doesn't freak out

Agree balloons and ball pools would probably be your best bet for "entertainment"

Definitely wine for the adults :)

Have a wonderful day

Agree with all the above - ours actually got freaked by the ballons but then loved the fact that there were lots (10) people. And keep the camera ready - you never know what firsts will happen! Have a great time!

mx

OMG, my little girl LOVED her 1st bday party. We had friends over for cake and ice cream in the evening. Little Saff stayed up waaaayyy past her bedtime, flirted with everyone, and dunked her chocolate cake in my champagne!

If people come to your party with children (especially other toddlers), and they bring a gift, then it's nice to have a gift to give them too. It doesn't have to be anything expensive. Toddlers just love to unwrap things, so it's nice for them to receive gifts to open too, when your child gets gifts from them.

Happy 1st Birthday!!!

Baby Knomester loved his 1st birthday party too!

It was a family party for about 20 people, including his 2 great grandmas. Food, cake, unwrapping presents and lots of laughs. He wasn't at all phased by the number of people and dmolished more than his fair share of his chocolate monkey birthday cake!

Hi! I was thinking about hiring a party bus for my son's bday but I think I'm getting a little over the top!

We would like to do something with family, friends and nct babies but it will b the end of October.

I think I'm going to scrap the bus idea, has anyone ever done a Gymboree party? I've called herne hill and left 3 messages but no call back. Given it will be cold we would rather not have it inside at home. Tried McDonald's but they don't do kids parties. I found a couple of good entertainers that aren't mega expensive but need to find a space - does anyone know how much hiring goose green centre is? Thanka