What are the best toddler classes / activities locally ?

Hi

I have recently moved to this area from North London with a 1 year old and a 3 year old. I am looking for activities I can do with the one year old just the two of us on the days my 3 year old is in nursery (Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays) and also activities I can do with them both together (on Thursdays and Fridays).

But here is the thing... as a second time round parent I have already done baby signing classes in North London and really bored of that. Also done trials of the Monkey Music/Caterpillar classes and really unimpressed by them.

As a parent the second time round I am finding that I am much more choosy with the classes/ activities I want to take my kids to. And repetition of the same old nursery rhymes and songs are doing my head in.

I really like classes (when I find the right ones) since I like something structured in my day to get my out of the house and I like the same faces there every week. My kids are quite shy and cling to me when we go to playgroups.

I am happy to try out lots of different classes... what do people suggest please? I am worried about missing the boat with September term sign ups.

Hi

Welcome to Dulwich. I hope you like it here.

I am opening a new class in East Dulwich in September. It is an original class that I have created myself so hopefully you won't find it boring or just like the old classes you have attended.

It is called: "Fuzzy & Friends". The website address is http://www.fuzzyandfriends.com

There are free trials on the 29th August and 5th September at the EDT (East Dulwich Tavern, 1 Lordship Lane, SE22 8EW). If you are interested in coming along please let me know. You can contact me on: 07903830384 or email: [email protected]

The class takes place on a Wednesday, the 10am slot is aimed at under 2's - so would be perfect for you and your one year old. (There is also an 11am class for 2-4 year olds).

Classes are based around a main character going on an adventure to help a friend. There will be educational elements involved (such as colour, shape and letter recognition and a section with songs and rhymes in French) but the emphasis will be on the children enjoying themselves and having fun.

There are no registration fees or hidden costs. Once term starts on 12th September, classes cost ?6 per child at a drop in rate with a 10% discount if you sign up for a term (and a free puppet).

Free tea and biscuits are offered to parents after each class and there is a play area with a toy box to keep children amused so parents can stay and chat. I really hope to see you at a class and that it helps you make lots of new friends in the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Tara

Thanks for the recommendations guys. That was really quick! Having looked at both websites quickly I am really intrigued by the Fuzzy and Friends class. Fantastic website by the way!

I like the idea of an educational class and I am interested to see what it is actually like so please put me down for one of the free trials. 29th August I think. Free refreshments is a nice touch too. Thanks for getting in touch.

Please keep the recommendations coming in - any other ideas?

Whippersnappers do very good music/rhyming sessions at a number of venues but particularly in the house just inside the entrance to dulwich park (nr the dulwich picture gallery) they do lovely cake and lunches too. Then of course your in the park as you come out.

I went to a free trial from fuzzy and friends and it was lovely. My two daughters loved it and thought it was really funny. I thought it was entertaining and educational. Also Tara made it very welcoming and pleasant, so I felt welcome immediately. Definitely will carry on going at the beginning of this term!! I highly recommend it.

Hi Sammy - it does sound from your post like you are bored and unimpressed with the groups you take your 1 and 3 year old to so maybe your children are picking up on this?

As a childminder, I've found repetition of songs and nursery rhymes is a good thing for babies/toddlers and up to school age children and it's a key part of their speech, language and listening skills.

I also attended a trial class for Fuzzy and Friends, with my 2.9 year old and 9 month old. They both loved it and had enormous fun (as did I!) Puppets, magic tricks, singing and storytelling are clearly a winning combination for my two children. We are definately signing up to a full term and look forward it!

Hi everyone

Thanks for the additional advice - the EDtots website was really useful - thanks Tara. I am quite excited about your trial class now that you have had rave reviews from other people....

I am also looking into whippersnappers, tippee toes etc and will probably try them too at some point.

Minder - in answer to your advice - I do know what you mean - that it is important to try to engage with a class (even if it bores you) otherwise how can your kids enjoy it... and being honest I may have been guilty of chatting to other mums sometimes during classes - (which is wrong I know) but I sing to my kids at home all the time- the same songs and we have the CD's for the car so they hear those songs all the time too - so I don't think that I am stunting their development. I just am now getting choosier about how I spend my time and money (since 3 years of baby and toddler classes has worn me down a bit). I however am really grateful for all the advice everyone has given and I am really enjoying being in Dulwich - it is a lovely place to raise a family.

Thanks again everyone

Sammy

Hi there welcome to East Dulwich - there's alot of wonderful things to do around here for toddlers it's a great area (as already mentioned; Whippersnappers, Didi Dance, Gymboree).

I also attended a free trial today of Fuzzy & Friends and loved it! My daughter is 2.2 months old and was absolutely captivated. It's exactly what I've been looking for - I've been wanting something a little bit more educationally stimulating. I love the fact that the class covered a specific letter, country and shape and it was all brought to life in a really imaginative way, it was a delight to watch my little girl listening and joining in and I feel she really got alot out of it - would defo recommend.