School Nursery - September 2013

HOMum

Hi there,

Am wondering if EDF can help me again!

My daughter just turned 2 (August 2nd) and am fully aware that I need to apply for School Nursery for her this year in order to get a place next year...

When do application forms need to be in by?

Where do I get these application forms - the council or the school? or does it differ?

We are on Landcroft Road - what are our chances with the local schools bearing in mind this is our first child?

Am struggling to find any relevant info on many schools or the council websites and now the schools have broken up for the holidays!

The only school I am fully aware about and how the process works is St. Anthony's.

Thanks

Nursery is dealt with by the school. You get the form from the school office once term restarts, and fill it in and wait til they contact you. And getting a nursery place does not guarantee you a school place for Reception class. And not getting a nursery place does not necessarily mean you won't get a place in Reception. So far as I know nursery is first come first served, no catchment etc. State primary schools reopen the week of 3 September, but many will be having INSET (teacher training) days in the first week so best to leave it til the week after to be sure there will be someone there. And of course they will be mobbed with parents buying uniform and paying for school dinners etc, so you will get seen quicker the following week. And avoid 8.45 - 9.15am as that is the busiest time!

As some nurseries get busier they are applying the same criteria as per reception. Only difference is that the kids applying aren't ALL the kids who will be applying come reception and may include kids who will want to go elsewhere for reception. It's all down to the individual school so do ask.

I'm curious about this whole school nursery thing. My son is currently in full time childcare at a community (fee paying) nursery (he's 21 months). I understand that from 3 they have 15 hours free per week and that the nursery he's at will offer this and deduct it from his monthly fees.

Do school nurseries offer full time places (for free) from 3 years old - or do they only offer the 15 hours a week? A completely free full time place would seem too good to be true - but I have heard of people being offered this in some cases (albeit when they have a sibling at the same school).

Sorry if this repeats questions on previous threads.

so far as I know the schools round here offer morning or afternoon sessions, so you get 5 mornings or 5 afternoons, 3 hours per session equals 15 hours. So not is in no way a replacement for fulltime nursery, but if you use a nanny or a childminder or an au pair or are a stay at home it is a bit of a bonus.

Don't expect to hear if you got a place or not until about June. I applied really early for both Heber and Goodrich last year and got no info ever from Heber. Goodrich only contacted me with the offer after the half term hol in June and that was after me ringing loads of times. Very annoying, makes it rather hard to plan ahead!

Most probably - September born kids do tend to be the eldest due to the August cut off for school - she'll be almost 5 starting school.

That said, if places come available during the year and the nursery can't fill them from older kids who are then almost due to start school, I have heard of them letting the older kids from the next year's intake start e.g. in the summer term rather than waiting till Sept. So maybe worth checking with the school what their policy is.

Oh and re full days, our school nursery is trying it this year - offering the 2.5 days as full days rather than 5 x half days. If it works for them, maybe other school nurseries will start trying it too.

The entitlement to 15h free is from the beginning of the term after 3rd birthday.

But as all rising 5s now move to reception in one go (sept) many school

Nurseries effectively intake only in sept too

Waiting list is by age, I think - so do apply for school nursery for when she turns 3