What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?

Dear all,

It's been really heartening to see the cropping up of Mutual Aid groups and members of the community turning out to support one another through this difficult time.

We local councillors are keen to do everything we can too.

The council has an information page which is updated regularly here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/health-and-wellbeing/public-health/for-the-public/coronavirus

I am in discussions with fellow councillors about what the council can do to support the community. I'd love to hear your ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

I obviously can't promise to do them all but I'll do my best!

Best wishes

James

Any chance to make / encourage shops to ration food - pasta, rice etc? This situation really affects the elderly - there is nothing left for them to buy. Many are on their own and have nobody to help carry stuff home so they do their weekly shopping buying very little. Now even this little is impossible to find because of other people greediness.

Setting up a local food delivery service for the elderly, especially important as they will soon be advised or required to spend up to four months in quarantine. Leafleting households to make them aware of the service and making it as easy to use as possible for the elderly, who do not have access to or confidence using the internet.

James

Pausing things like the introduction of the cpz or consultations on healthy streets would be a good thing as people have other things to worry about at the moment rather than have they filled in a form,can't get online to get a permit or even can they afford a permit if their job is in danger (or getting a ticket because they were ill when the scheme starts)

It at seem like a petty thing but at the moment people need to reduce the things they worry about.

The ideas above to create temporary hospitals (maybe use pubs as no one can go out to them anyway if we isolate) are key and planning how to get food to those who need it most but taking into account some people aren't online.

Also look at how people with medical needs get treatment at home safely (boost district nurse support as hospital outpatient appointments are not always going to be possible )

To echo some earlier posts, I think Southwark should postpone CPZ implementation (for all the reasons described by other posters) as well as charges for the parks. My thinking is that for the elderly asked to self-isolate being able to drive to the park for a breath or fresh air or to walk the dog, is going to be much safer than using public transport.

If, despite everything, Southwark insist on forging ahead with CPZ it would be irresponsible at the moment.

The council needs to encourage people to do what we did today - get people knocking on elderly neighbours' doors and tell them that if they need anything all they need do is ask. Give them a contact number and reassure them that their neighbours are there for them. Many may be reluctant to acknowledge they need help at this point but just knowing that someone is willing to run to the shops for them and is looking out for them will be very reassuring especially when the directive for the elderly and vulnerable to isolate for 12 weeks comes into play.

Getting local chemists to start delivering regular/vital medication to the elderly / vulnerable / self isolating who may otherwise run out or expose themselves to the virus to collect it from a pharmacy .

Getting local chemists to start delivering regular/vital medication to the elderly / vulnerable / self isolating who might otherwise run out or expose themselves to the virus to collect from a pharmacy .

sdrs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Getting local chemists to start delivering

> regular/vital medication to the elderly /

> vulnerable / self isolating who might otherwise

> run out or expose themselves to the virus to

> collect from a pharmacy .

We have a growing list of volunteers who are more than happy to deliver medication from our local chemists.

We have a spreadsheet with a list of volunteers {{covering all streets within Goose Green}} you can view via a link in our whatsapp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/LApspsBjIAn5LOJifuRLWO.

Kindest,

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> Southwark council should be contacting vulnerable

> people and the elderly. I think Its is awful that

> most people have been left alone and there is no

> help or advice from the local council.

A group of us have taken it upon ourselves to cover all streets within Goose Green. We're printing & flyering every street at the moment.

I guess the council could help in providing us with a printer? We're constantly updating our spreadsheet crossing off the streets we've managed to flyer. We're printing from our own home printers & meeting up in the evenings to provide others with flyers to distribute.

Southwark has a team of community and parking wardens on scooters. They could be tasked with delivering leaflets and perhaps even collecting medication from pharmacies and delivering to elderly etc.. There will probably be other useful tasks they can perform.

first mate Wrote:

> Southwark has a team of community and parking

> wardens on scooters. They could be tasked with

> delivering leaflets and perhaps even collecting

> medication from pharmacies and delivering to

> elderly etc.. There will probably be other useful

> tasks they can perform.

Actually such a good idea.

I'm very much in favour of suspending park charging if it allows at risk groups to get quality fresh air and those benefits.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Ideally with double bed base and standard single on top, plain, solid wood preferred. Can collect anywhere.  
    • I've just gone over for the first time, and oh my - got to be the worst one yet.  My issue has never been with the noise - although it is intolerable, it is only for three days. My issue is the environmental damage to our lovely park, which lasts a lot, lot longer. The obvious damage to the landscape is shocking - so widespread, so deep - but perhaps even worse is the litter. Without even looking too hard, within a few minutes I'd found dozens of bottle tops, can ring pulls, tubes of filter tips, fag butts, cut off cable ties, disposable vapes, even a tampon applicator, all either hiding in the longer grass where the entrance was, or embedded in the dried mud. This is apparently after there have been several 'teams' of litter pickers over the whole area, and representatives of the council have walked the area and given it the thumbs up. These are all things that aren't going to decompose, so will be embedded in the ground forever, literally turning the park into a rubbish tip. I just don't know how this can be allowed to happen, again and again and again? May I suggest that before anyone comments on this post, or on the state of the park, they go and have a good, slow, careful, hard look first, over the whole site. Try and find some litter, I guarantee it will be a matter of minutes before you do, then you'll find some more, and some more, and some more...
    • I am looking for any left over masonry paint, if anyone has from a previous project? preferably in magnolia. let me know via pm if you may have anything suitable & also if any payment is required. many thanks 
    • A friend who is another long-standing member of the Dulwich Society and was present at the meetings on May 20th has sent me the following letter, and I reproduce it here with their permission: Maybe there is another side to this tirade which I guess was from either a Trustee or one of the plants in the first couple of rows?  I had a good view from where I was sitting at the side. I am one of the people who signed up to oppose the new Dulwich Society rules,  having read the letter by the signatories which was shared with me. I have known about the differences in opinion as I have a couple of friends who warned me about this schism.   I actively joined  with my support because all I wanted, and what they clearly wanted, was to leave those rules as they were, to make the society more accessible if there is an issue.  It was not some kind of attempted coup.  I have met several people who did not attend the AGM who asked me if I had been knocked up, as they had been.  The long, long letter by the Chair ordering us how to think and how to vote!  No wonder there was a huge turn out.  And the point is this:  the misrepresentation of what the original signatories was asking for, was carried on right through to the meeting.  "I found it extraordinary that this grouping in Dulwich Society pushing for change....." - no, keeping it all accessible and as it was,  not changed!  How can there be any democracy if the Chair chooses who to speak, and made just one mistake by calling someone who accused him and the Trustees of taking a bullying stance.  Oh, and by the way, speaking for 25 minutes in opposition to the Motions before they were presented and also with Trustees answering each Motion in addition to his unchallenged rant. Having received the very long letter from the Chair, I and many of the people who chose to support the signatories were astounded. By the orders from the Chair, repeated bold orders on how to vote, and a misrepresentation of the facts.  Not only that, on the night of the AGM, to be given voting slips with an instruction on how to vote! I will put one thing right.  I informally joined up in time to hear about the meeting invite for the signatories  with the Trustees and a neutral chair.  This only gave two days notice to everyone and of course this was completely unacceptable.  Quite a few signatories (and me)  were present at a Dulwich Arts Society lecture, and those who were not members did not want to attend Bell House as they simply could not speak for others.  At the same time it seems the Chair attended Bell House with others to try and make the group against his ideas look as if they were somewhat cowardly.  What rubbish.  By the way, I am informed that the Pub upstairs meeting room was booked for FREE.  The SGM costs were therefore non existent.   The Chair has painted this group as trying to destroy the Society and threaten to resign along with all his Trustees (some looked a bit surprised at that) if he did not get his way.  In fact a couple looked extremely uncomfortable. You cannot get away from the main fact that in the Constitution which was in place at the time, the Chair failed to call and hold an SGM in the correct period of 28 days.,  This meeting he offered was his way of looking as if he was open to talks but I and my new 'friends' could only see someone manipulating the membership. I am a member of One Dulwich but I am sure they were not behind any of this, and although they may have agreed with the anti-sentiments, I do not think they manipulated the group.  I would ask add for allowing - against what the Chair said at the beginning - a rant from the balcony against one of the Proposers by a disappointed and vengeful ex-Tory, for more than three minutes, the meeting descended into a very uncomfortable rant against democracy.  One of the Trustees answering a Motion completely lost it. All this from a sedate small amenity society in a defined geographical area. There were no anti-LTN feelings behind this group;  we all simply wanted democracy to remain.  To be asked our feelings about policies which the Society put forward as ours, to have the ease of calling an SGM with 30 members instead of searching for 120, to be included in discussions instead of not even being able to read Minutes showing what the committees are developing.  It was very telling that the end of the post on EDG I am answering, it drew the readers to exactly transport issues and “online trolling”.  Manipulation of events. Enough said.                            
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In