What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?

James, it is not possible to socially distance whilst sticking to the pavements. They are not wide enough. Traffic is down, but speeds are up. Will the council follow the example of many towns and cities around the world and create temporary extensions to pavements, bring in additional road closures and ?pop up? bike lanes to make sure people can get around by bike and foot whilst maintaining social distancing and staying safe from motor vehicles?

Also, we have just received a note to say the Southwark will be digging up our street and the pavement will be closed for several weeks. Again, with average speeds up, could we either see such work suspended during this period or better still, temporary residential road closures.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, it is not possible to socially distance

> whilst sticking to the pavements. They are not

> wide enough. Traffic is down, but speeds are up.

> Will the council follow the example of many towns

> and cities around the world and create temporary

> extensions to pavements, bring in additional road

> closures and ?pop up? bike lanes to make sure

> people can get around by bike and foot whilst

> maintaining social distancing and staying safe

> from motor vehicles?

>

> Also, we have just received a note to say the

> Southwark will be digging up our street and the

> pavement will be closed for several weeks. Again,

> with average speeds up, could we either see such

> work suspended during this period or better still,

> temporary residential road closures.

Pop-up bike lanes are a bad idea - if you are on the pavement and have to get in the road out of the way of other pedestrians or joggers you will be in the path of at least one bike....let them keep to the middle of the road please.

Also I would echo the sentiments of pinkladybird re the domestic builders. The ones that are working next door to me all shook hands when they were parting for the Easter Break...and I have already posted photos of them on the forum sitting together.

James

Just seen that "essential works" include closing the pavements along Barry Road for tree trimming , thus causing pedestrians to either walk in the busy main road or cross over and walk close to each other

More council madness that should be suspended during the stay at home period as it will stop people being able to safely get to Peckham Rye park for exercise.

As savvy experts are saying that will most likely be a number of waves of COVID 19, what can you do please to ensure there is hot water in all publicly-used toilets so that people can wash their hands adequately?

Can you do this in all Southwark parks, and can you do anything with licensing laws re the pubs and supermarkets in the borough that currently provide only cold water in their toilet handbasins?

Hand washing with hot water is a lot more effective than cold water washing. That's because you need hot water for soap to lather adequately but also because people are far more likely to keep washing for an effective time if there is hot water. Rather than just freezing their hands.

The trend to have only cold water available has only appeared in the last decade. When I asked a while ago about why it had happened, the answer from a supermarket manager was that otherwise they got homeless people washing in the toilets. Somehow, this seems to be the wrong response to homelessness?

The Minister has just asked council's to re-open cemeteries.

Government to publish guidance on funerals

Jenrick says he is asking councils to reopen cemeteries and graveyards so people can "seek solace" at the graves of those they loved, or lay flowers. "There are times in my life when I have needed to do that", he says, adding that small mercies can make a difference.

Jenrick also cites a case where mourners were turned away and says, "funerals can go ahead with close family present".

This is a very good suggestion yorksgirl and I second it and also want to add that this is also a problem in our local schools. With budgets cut to the bone, a local headmistress told me they had to scrabble to find the funds to properly stock the lavatories when this hit. I was shocked that children didn?t have time or the soap and towels to hand wash properly. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/17/covid-19-reveals-the-alarming-truth-that-many-children-cant-wash-their-hands-at-school

Hand dryers should also be replaced. We know this is an airborne virus. All public loos should have these replaced with paper towels. If you get one super spreader going into a small lavatory and then using the hand dryer it is like a covid explosion. They aerosolise bacteria and viruses.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-turn-off-hand-dryers-to-prevent-spread-of-covid-19-doctor-warns-11965900

yorksgirl Wrote:

> As savvy experts are saying that will most likely

> be a number of waves of COVID 19, what can you do

> please to ensure there is hot water in all

> publicly-used toilets so that people can wash

> their hands adequately?

>

> Can you do this in all Southwark parks, and can

> you do anything with licensing laws re the pubs

> and supermarkets in the borough that currently

> provide only cold water in their toilet

> handbasins?

>

> Hand washing with hot water is a lot more

> effective than cold water washing. That's because

> you need hot water for soap to lather adequately

> but also because people are far more likely to

> keep washing for an effective time if there is hot

> water. Rather than just freezing their hands.

>

> The trend to have only cold water available has

> only appeared in the last decade. When I asked a

> while ago about why it had happened, the answer

> from a supermarket manager was that otherwise they

> got homeless people washing in the toilets.

> Somehow, this seems to be the wrong response to

> homelessness?

Hi all

I will look into the cemeteries issue again. If it is safe to open them then I think we should.

seenbeen - Southwark has disseminated hardship support before even receiving it from the government. But if anyone is having issues with this then please let me know and I will look into it.

siousxiesue - I think cyclemonkey is right about takeaway ice cream. Not sure about the car wash - I will check.

Best wishes,

James

Hi James

Why have all the benches in Dulwich Park been covered in plastic mesh?

I understand we wish to discourage people from being in parks when they shouldn't be but if someone needs a rest or to sit down this doesn't seem unreasonable. Covering them all up feels very much an overreaction and unnecessary at this point.

Thanks

DC

Hi all

david_carnell - I have raised this with the council and the plastic mesh will be removed.

I also raised the issue with the cemeteries and the following has now been agreed.

- The council will re-open Nunhead and Camberwell Old Cemeteries to the public, on the basis of the opening hours prior to the emergency.

- The council will re-open Camberwell New Cemetery on Sundays only. This is because of the volume of funerals that take place there, including now more on Saturdays.

- That if funerals need to take place at Nunhead or Camberwell Old cemeteries (for example for a Muslim or Jewish burial at Nunhead or to re-open a double-plot at either location) that the cemetery is closed for the duration of that service. Where this is the case, a notice will be placed on the cemetery gate to explain the closure. Where practical, we will give advance notice of these closures via social media (this may be more challenging where notice periods are short, such as with Muslim burials).

I hope this is a satisfactory outcome for everyone!

Best wishes

James

pinkladybird Wrote:

> I wonder if the council have any powers to assist

> regarding unessential building works in

> residential areas? I believe many are still

> ongoing - for example loft conversions. They can

> be very dusty and noisy - unfair on neighbours who

> are stuck at home and cannot get any respite.

>

> For example, I have a demolition going on metres

> from me. When that is over, it will then be

> rebuilt. The dust and noise are difficult to deal

> with - and those of us with adjoining gardens are

> stuck inside. There is also the matter of the dust

> affecting the lungs of anyone with the virus.

Yes it has been shown that people who live in regions with poor air quality get the virus more seriously. Also, as well as the non-essential domestic building work we in Crystal Palace Road are going to have to suffer resurfacing work. At the moment I can go to the back or front of my house to avoid the builders' noise but if there is road works at the front. Pathetic.

Hi all

The council has updated various parts of its website in relation to the health/wellbeing and the crisis:

a. Mental health: www.southwark.gov.uk/takingcareofyourmind

b. Staying active: www.southwark.gov.uk/movemore

c. Eating well: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/health-and-wellbeing/public-health/for-the-public/healthy-eating

d. Stop Smoking: www.southwark.gov.uk/smoking

e. Safe sex: www.southwark.gov.uk/safesex

f. Move more - www.southwark.gov.uk/movemore

g. Taking care of your mind - www.southwark.gov.uk/takingcareofyourmind

h. Healthy eating www.southwark.gov.uk/healthyeating

i. Infectious diseases and vaccinations - www.southwark.gov.uk/infectiousdiseasesandvaccinations

j. Healthy weight - www.southwark.gov.uk/healthyweight

Please pass these on to anyone you think might benefit from them.

Best wishes

James

seenbeen Wrote:

> Yes it has been shown that people who live in

> regions with poor air quality get the virus more

> seriously. Also, as well as the non-essential

> domestic building work we in Crystal Palace Road

> are going to have to suffer resurfacing work. At

> the moment I can go to the back or front of my

> house to avoid the builders' noise but if there is

> road works at the front. Pathetic.

Oh no seenbeen - I live on Crystal Palace Road - is the whole road going to be resurfaced?

I'm glad it's not happening on my section. I'm really sorry to hear it's happening to you. I guess you could try a councillor - but doubt it will change anything. There are so many people going through similar issues. I do wish someone would take it up in parliament. It is a human rights issue to order people to stay indoors 24/7 and then to allow construction companies to release silica dust and use pneumatic drills all day near them - a real conflict. Here is a petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/308933