> >

> >

> > Ok thanks Monica. Really wish I had stocked up

> on

> > basics earlier :(

>

> Iv'e got them, I'll bring them with me when I come

> over, and Brazil nuts. xx

Don't make that so public, you might be mugged on the way over!

I'll send you the rest of my shopping list privately :))

I actually dont approve of naming and shaming local businesses and accusing them of profiteering.

My reason being that we have to take the posters word on this and although I 100% dont condone profiteering in a health crisis Karma is a bitch and will surely bite the arses of those who do try to take advantage of the current situation.

Therefore I would direct my anger at chains like Sainsburys charging more for items in their 'local' branches than they do in their superstores.

The independent corner shop is probably scared that if he can't compete with the big boys on getting in stock at this moment in time he won't be able to pay his rent feed his family and so forth-so rightly or wrongly he may be hiking prices to cover his a** in these choppy uncertain waters.

Please guys lets Name and shame the big chains with their local pricing policy (superdrug for instance being more expensive on Lordship lane than in other south london branches on certain items) But DONT name and shame small local shops when we only have to take your word for it and you could damage someones reputation and livelihood

Thank you

Desperately tried buying washing detergent tablets today after numerous unsuccessful attempts over the last few days. In desperation found some in local corner shop which I bought as situation at home getting desperate...

Thank you New Wave. I know someone who runs a local business and says that for every delivery of key items, the prices from wholesalers have gone up. We may have to pay more temporarily for what we want. But many of us also want local shops to be here when this ends, so naming and shaming them online is not fair when you don't know all the circumstances. Some small retailers have posted on Facebook that they have had so much abuse they don't know whether they can carry on.

There is a real danger that the East Dulwich/Nunhead that we love - with lots of quirky and local businesses and few chain shops - will disappear as a result of this virus.

I have long shopped locally. I hope that those of you who are critical of local shops are regular customers of them. And if you are, why don't you discuss your concerns directly with them?

Tough times and we need to be supportive where we can.

Mahoody Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sure, there has been lots of gouging with

> isopropyl but you can still get 5 Litres of 99.9%

> pure for ?6.66. Having got some, I've been

> offering free top ups to friends and neighbours if

> they bring along their small bottle.

That is what I was also doing. Making sanitizer to give to at risk groups. Just my way of using my chemistry knowledge to help in a crisis. Was just a bit shocked to see the inflation on something I have been ordering for years (as a lab cleaning material).

Our local Community Caf? had to close today and had already received a fresh food order this week. We purchased from them at cost price some eggs as we were unable to purchase these from our usual butchers. We also offered to pay for any perishable goods they wanted to get rid off. Today I was given FREE - potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and leeks. I was able to do food parcels for 3 elderly households, and contacted a friend who also did shopping for elderly neighbours, so a further 3-4 people will receive a small amount of veg.

If one caf? owner can do this for nothing - why cannot others follow suit.

If they sell unused items for the price which they paid for them or just a few pence more - it would be fairer.

We have been asked by customers if our prices have gone up due to higher demand, our wholesalers prices have stayed the same, I can't comment on other industries, however speaking to other retailers I have been told their prices have not gone up either.

Speak to the retailer where you shop, as lollipop has highlighted.

I have been shopping in my local independent shop where i live, and they are stocked up. My local Tesco is trying its best. Its a challenging time for everyone, we need to work together, not against each other.

It's not just food - with gyms closing I was buying an exercise bike or some other equipment to help with fitness if I'm in the house for a while.

Everyone else has had the same idea LOL and many sold out for a while or prices going up.

I did speak to Kristal Pharmacy and can verify that the high prices they have been charging for hand sanitizer are totally due to the inflated prices that are being charged by wholesalers. Others have even viewed their invoices and have verified this! Another pharmacy has told me that paracetamol prices at their wholesalers have been increased 6x.

Have been using Krystals for about 10 years for prescriptions, they are probably the best stocked, managed and run pharmacy around here, always caring and helpful, even in difficult circumstances.

Their service far exceeds the likes of Day Lewis Dulwich on Forest Hill Road who, IMO are the least helpful around here, I have no idea how that business survives.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> I did speak to Kristal Pharmacy and can verify

> that the high prices they have been charging for

> hand sanitizer are totally due to the inflated

> prices that are being charged by wholesalers.

> Others have even viewed their invoices and have

> verified this! Another pharmacy has told me that

> paracetamol prices at their wholesalers have been

> increased 6x.

Thank you for for verifying what I suspected.

Now is the time to support our small independent businesses (apologies if I'm sounding like a cracked record here!)

Not point the finger at them without proof on a public forum.

Yesterday I spoke to the owner of Krystal Pharmacy. He has run it for 40 years. He has suffered verbal abuse from people who have been his customers for many years. I have seen the invoices for the hand sanitisers, I have been emailed copies of the correspondence with his suppliers if anyone doesn't believe me. He is making pennies in profit for the hand sanitisers. The supplier who used to charge around 85p for a 50ml sanitiser wanted ?6 plus VAT. Muslin tried various other suppliers and managed to get it for a bit less than ?5 and is selling it for ?4.99. He even looked on Ebay to see if he could get it cheaper! When his old stock ran out and he found the prices had rocketed, he dithered for a few days as he knew the prices were so extortionately high, and he wasn't sure whether to purchase any stock. Local residents have kept coming in and asking him for it and that's why he bought it at such an inflated price. He now wonders if he made the right decision as the high prices that are outside his control have caused so much backlash.

Other products have also shot up in price at the wholesalers eg pine disinfectant has tripled in price over the last fortnight and paracetamol is about 5x the previous price. Please do support our local businesses.

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> Yesterday I spoke to the owner of Krystal

> Pharmacy. He has run it for 40 years. He has

> suffered verbal abuse from people who have been

> his customers for many years. I have seen the

> invoices for the hand sanitisers, I have been

> emailed copies of the correspondence with his

> suppliers if anyone doesn't believe me. He is

> making pennies in profit for the hand sanitisers.

> The supplier who used to charge around 85p for a

> 50ml sanitiser wanted ?6 plus VAT. Muslin tried

> various other suppliers and managed to get it for

> a bit less than ?5 and is selling it for ?4.99. He

> even looked on Ebay to see if he could get it

> cheaper! When his old stock ran out and he found

> the prices had rocketed, he dithered for a few

> days as he knew the prices were so extortionately

> high, and he wasn't sure whether to purchase any

> stock. Local residents have kept coming in and

> asking him for it and that's why he bought it at

> such an inflated price. He now wonders if he made

> the right decision as the high prices that are

> outside his control have caused so much backlash.

>

> Other products have also shot up in price at the

> wholesalers eg pine disinfectant has tripled in

> price over the last fortnight and paracetamol is

> about 5x the previous price. Please do support our

> local businesses.

>

> Renata

Thank you so much! I am not a business owner but it has grieved me greatly seeing the poisonous dangerous finger pointing on the site

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> Yesterday I spoke to the owner of Krystal

> Pharmacy. He has run it for 40 years. He has

> suffered verbal abuse from people who have been

> his customers for many years. I have seen the

> invoices for the hand sanitisers, I have been

> emailed copies of the correspondence with his

> suppliers if anyone doesn't believe me. He is

> making pennies in profit for the hand sanitisers.

> The supplier who used to charge around 85p for a

> 50ml sanitiser wanted ?6 plus VAT. Muslin tried

> various other suppliers and managed to get it for

> a bit less than ?5 and is selling it for ?4.99. He

> even looked on Ebay to see if he could get it

> cheaper! When his old stock ran out and he found

> the prices had rocketed, he dithered for a few

> days as he knew the prices were so extortionately

> high, and he wasn't sure whether to purchase any

> stock. Local residents have kept coming in and

> asking him for it and that's why he bought it at

> such an inflated price. He now wonders if he made

> the right decision as the high prices that are

> outside his control have caused so much backlash.

>

> Other products have also shot up in price at the

> wholesalers eg pine disinfectant has tripled in

> price over the last fortnight and paracetamol is

> about 5x the previous price. Please do support our

> local businesses.

>

> Renata

It's not just here

New York has exactly the same issues

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-update-nyc-officials-on-the-hunt-for-price-gouging/

Note they said at the end they would be looking higher up the chain - so should we even if it's left to later due to priority issues..