frozen veg

uptime

It's often said that frozen peas taste as good as (and are as healthy as) the fresh variety. Are there any other tasty frozen veggies out there? I really need to increase my veg consumption and the 'fresh' stuff I buy at the weekends has usually gone off by the latter half of the week. Sorry in advance for such a mundane question, but I reckon there must be some other time-constrained mums out there who have reliable freezer fallbacks.

I like waitrose grilled mixed vegetables - good to toss into pasta sauce for a bit of a veg boost when I don't feel like cooking.

Sweetcorn and chopped spinach are also staples in my freezer - chopped spinach can go in just about any sauce or on its own, frozen sweetcorn is far nicer frozen than tinned, though it's hard to beat fresh at this time of year.

Hi uptime! Hope you're ok.

We have in our freezer as staples frozen peas, frozen sweet corn (only just discovered this) and a bag of mixed chipped veg from sainos which is surprisingly nice. I only really use them for E's dinner as they microwave in about 90seconds so v handy. Also have frozen chopped spinach which is really handy to throw into pasta. I also use that sometimes to make creamed spinach for us.

Apparently waitrose do a nice rice and mixed veg which is handy for dinner in a rush for the kids with goujons etc.

yeah, agree about frozen broad beans. also frozen corn on the cob.

also slightly off topic but am a recent convert to frozen bags of rice you can pop in the microwave...

And jamie oliver frozen fishcakes are great - maybe bit small for adults unless you have 3, but good size for the kids. sorry I know these aren't veg!

oh - frozen berries good too - my son likes eating frozen strawberries for some reason.

sylviamaria Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Edamame beans are delicious and chopped spinach is

> always useful in our home. Also corn on the cob

> for the kids?

Sorry to hijack, but where do you buy frozen edamame beans please?

Broad beans, sweetcorn, edamame and artichoke bottoms in our freezer (in addition to peas of course!). Also tend to freeze left over pulses when I've only used part of a tin so they get added into meals too.

When Baby Knomester was little I also used to make batches of sweet potato wedges and freeze those so they were ready to eat. Same with any veg really - I'd cook extra when we were having it and pop into bags in the freezer (good way to make sure veg isn't wasted too).

Not been able to order edamame from Ocado recently for some reason - always out of stock - but they sell them in SMBS on Lordship Lane.