East Dulwich CPZ

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why Rockets, they?re all cycling in from Kent

> now😉

I hope some of them are. Like I've done, they will find out how much nicer it is than driving in. And if they keep it up they are likely to live longer too.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> East of Lordship Lane is definitely bearing the

> brunt of the CPZ fallout. Possibly from the West

> Peckham CPZ too now that the schools in that zone

> are back.

>

> I don't think it will be long before the clamour

> for an extension will whelm the council into a new

> consultation.

Perhaps experiencing what those of us West of Lordship Lane went through. Though I'd guess that the CPZ has deterred some from using their car at all. The CPZ has been a massive improvement in Matham Grove.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> But you literally just did blame other residents

> !! "Perhaps experiencing what those of us West of

> Lordship Lane went through"

Empathy is quite different to blame, but hey ho.

Wow, is that really true? Presumably Melbourne residents doing this were probably against CPZ? Cannot believe anyone would vote in all day CPZ and then go and park for free in a neighbouring non CPZ street. However, if this is happening in any numbers it makes you wonder if it was a majority who wanted CPZ in Melbourne Grove?

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> But your empathising with my comment laying the

> blame squarely on those who clamoured for a CPZ,

> some of whom are now parking in the CPZ free

> streets away from their homes!

I wasn't agreeing with your comment, far from it. I was empathising with residents East of LL who you claim are now experiencing their streets suffocated with cars and don't have a CPZ to alleviate the problem.

Rockets Wrote:

>

> Interesting isn't it that time limited CPZs have

> been very effective in areas like Herne Hill in

> deterring commuters yet protecting the local

> community shops and Southwark opted for the all

> day option. Read into that what you will!

The zone around East Dulwich station is 11-1, West Peckham is 9-11. Both were put in by Southwark as well as the East Dulwich CPZ. The roads closest to the shops in Herne Hill have longer hours, the two hour restriction is a few roads further away. Whoever decided the hours had to look at the bigger picture

Is it a very small zone around East Dulwich station that is two hours because the restrictions that I saw on East Dulwich Grove are definitely all day?

The Stradella Road, Half Moon Lane, Winterbrook etc. restrictions (the roads closest to the shops and station in Herne Hill) are 2 hours only - or at least they were the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Rockets

Zone Q is the other side of East Dulwich station and was the first of the East Dulwich zones to be put in. - East Dulwich Grove is in the latest zone. Zone Q went in after 4 consultations and the parking had got worse. We said no to the first 3 consultations but when the fourth came out it was needed.

I thought Stradella Road was all day, guess there is a set of bays at the end that I saw the sign for that?s all day. The zone the other side of the bridge opposite Brockwell Park is all day. So Lambeth also have a two hour zone one side of the station and an all day zone the other. Like the zones around East Dulwich there is a mix of a station, residents and businesses so guess there is something that means a two hour zone isn?t going to work in some areas.

> So Lambeth also have a two hour zone one side of the station and an all day zone the other.

A minor point, but Stradella Road is in Southwark - the border is at the Half Moon pub and then along Herne Hill and Denmark Hill roads.

The introduction of Lambeth's parking zones did make parking much more difficult across the N Dulwich triangle, causing many residents to change their minds and back the CPZ when it was proposed for the second time. But as far as I know, the 2 hr / all day difference between neighbouring zones has no noticeable or wide effect in this area .

N dulwich northerner

I?d not realised about the borough boundary.

There is a difference as a visitor to the area looking for parking - isn?t one of the things a CPZ is meant to do to improve parking availability for residents? It did near us. When I need to make a daytime visit to the Herne Hill area there is a choice. You have to find a bay you can pay in that is free in the all day zone or you time your visit and park in the two hour zone outside of the hours it operates. For residents its only other residents and their visitors parking in the all day zone.

I chose to time my visit for free parking and went to a couple of shops I wouldn?t have if I?d parked in the all day zone which was closest to where I was going.

?For residents its only other residents and their visitors parking in the all day zone?.

Not always the case as commuters may park and pay online/via telephone from work for the two hour parking window. Fortunately not all bays are shared use to prevent this problem.

AylwardS Wrote:

> N dulwich northerner

>

> I?d not realised about the borough boundary.

>

> There is a difference as a visitor to the area

> looking for parking - isn?t one of the things a

> CPZ is meant to do to improve parking availability

> for residents? It did near us. When I need to make

> a daytime visit to the Herne Hill area there is a

> choice. You have to find a bay you can pay in that

> is free in the all day zone or you time your visit

> and park in the two hour zone outside of the

> hours it operates. For residents its only other

> residents and their visitors parking in the all

> day zone.

>

> I chose to time my visit for free parking and went

> to a couple of shops I wouldn?t have if I?d parked

> in the all day zone which was closest to where I

> was going.

AylwardS Wrote:

> N dulwich northerner

> There is a difference as a visitor to the area

> looking for parking - isn?t one of the things a

> CPZ is meant to do to improve parking availability

> for residents? It did near us.

It certainly did here too.

> I chose to time my visit for free parking and went

> to a couple of shops I wouldn?t have if I?d parked

> in the all day zone which was closest to where I

> was going.

It's flexibility that seems to have no downside. There isn't a big influx during when parking is free, but outsiders can still schedule visits like the daughter who calls round to care for her mum, people who have to collect kids from school or childcare, or whatever. The two hour CPZ is a balanced, practical solution for this area.

• 5 months later...

In case of interest- an overview of the council's proposed timetable to roll out CPZs to remaining areas of Southwark is on the agenda for next week's Environment Scrutiny Commission. Not formal proposals at this atage but gives an idea of the direction of travel. There will have to be statutory consultation in due course.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s94318/Parking.pdf

A big chunk of East Dulwich is coloured magenta on the map, with "to be confirmed" against it - I expect that relates to dates, rather than existence of CPZ, as I believe a borough wide CPZ is contemplated by the overall council Movement Plan.