Pruning of Trees on Barry Road

Those of you that have used Barry road within the past few days will have noticed that some of the trees on the left side of the road have been pruned back by the council - they are looking very bare indeed!

I personally think it is a good thing, and I want to know if they will do all the trees on the road, or just a selection of them?

Does anyone know if this information is available?

Worlingham Road has also been "done"

& yes, in the short term it does look drastic.

But .... having seen it a few times before, the trees do seem to come back at least as vibrant

& maybe even stronger.

They have also replaced the few tress they have had to remove over the last few years, so all in all, my observation would be that, short term visuals aside ..... the trees seem to be being looked after OK.

We're on Friern Road and I think they could really prune the trees here, literally blocking sunlight and I've heard some residents saying their satellites being affected but the Council have told us that cutting them would encourage more growth so they stopped doing it so often. However it seems like a long time since they did a proper survey or did any cutting

I live on Barry Road and they're busy pruning the trees as I type. Sorry to get all First World Problems on everyone but I really hope they don't reach my place today. The leaves provide a lot of privacy into my living room and block the ugly building site across the road. Shame they have to prune them so early - goodbye, summer...

The RHS says "The least favourable time for pollarding is the autumn, as decay fungi may enter the pruning cuts ".

But of course if pollarding is done prior to the annual autumn leaf fall I guess Southwark reduces the work load for street sweepers and saves money .

I can't find words to express how unhappy I am to loose so much of these trees and to have the street scene so radically altered .

I live in an upper flat and like you Becs can see every detail in the living room opposite me .

I'm off to search for that thread on rescuing a nest as I believe there was mention of discussion of Southwarks tree pollarding policy at a Community council meeting .

Robin Crookshank Hilton wrote ( on stranded birds thread )

" There are discussions going on about whether severe pollarding is the best way to address regular tree maintenance "

and

" in addition to planning, trees are another one of my passions and I work very closely with the tree department. As Peckham Rose has suggested, I definitely intend to ask them to attend a Dulwich Community Council meeting "

Robin - any more info on the discussions ? Can anyone contribute to them ? Has there been any outcome ?

Will this be discussed at a CC meeting ?

Hi All... I've been liaising informally with the tree dept on this. I believe that the pollarding schedule was put on hold for a couple of weeks until any nesting birds could leave the nest.

My understanding is that there is going to be a public Tree Maintenance consultation shortly, I'll let you know when it's launched so that everyone can respond.

There appears to be two views on the concept of pollarding... one view is that the severe pollarding saves on maintenance costs overall by overcoming the need to prune the crowns of the trees every two or three years. The other view is that the pollarding actually increases the maintenance costs because the severe pollarding creates basal growth all along the trunk of the trees, which then needs trimming every year - you can see the columns of growth all along some of the trees that were pollarded in the spring.

I haven't been able to schedule an item about Tree Maintenance at next week's DCC meeting (which I'll update on another thread), but I'm going to see if we can do it at the November meeting, January at the latest (tree planting season runs from Sept to March, but the maintenance works run all year round).

Thank you for this Robin .

For me I think the impact of the pollarding is greatly increased by it being done now and the sudden move from trees in full leaf to bare sticks .

I have never known it be done at this time of year before .

Will the RHS view that autumn is the worst time to carry out this work ( risk of fungal infections to the trees ) be considered when these protocols are discussed ?

I guess they've had to make savings .

But who knows - presumably it's a more tricky and therefore costly job to pollard trees in full leaf as opposed to after the leaves have dropped .

And how we feel about such a drastic change to our environment doesn't come into it I suppose .

I am really upset though ,very shocked by how it looks .