Traffic barrier - Goodrich Road

I wonder why Southwark have gone for the full closure rather than a school street, as they have for other schools in the borough. That would allow residents? access at all times, whilst cutting out other traffic when the kids are about.

It?s odd. I?ve written to Helen Hayes, Cllr Browning and the head of highways explaining it?s better to have a cul-de-sac. The addresses are further up this chain. The officer came to assess on 13 May and as far as I know S/he didn?t consult anyone. Measures are needed but not this. Put up a barrier but give all householders a key.

I've written to Southwark Council today to complain. I live on Upland Road, and it's shocking to me that they're proposing to implement something like this without making any attempt to inform, let alone consult local residents.

tas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder why Southwark have gone for the full

> closure rather than a school street, as they have

> for other schools in the borough. That would allow

> residents? access at all times, whilst cutting out

> other traffic when the kids are about.

Also, cul-de-sac closures outside schools are a bad idea. It would turn the road into a drop-off car park with a lot of 3 point turns going on e.g. Greendale outside JAGS, and that?s a much wider road.

Actually, now you mention it, the proposed Tell Grove barrier on MG may become a parent drop off point for Charter. They are removing parking and putting double yellow lines in the run up to allow cars that try to use it as a cut through space to effect a three point turn and go back. Who knows how these things can turn out.

As far as I recall from the Healthy Streets meeting held earlier in the year (or was it late last year?)at Christ Church, the barrier would only be in operation at the beginning and end of school day. Check with Cllrs Browning and Hartley.

I will be fighting the closure of Goodrich Road on both ends as I am one of the houses affected with a highly vulnerable husband who needs weekly services and deliveries. This is a sledge hammer to crack a nut. How are the residents supposed to access emergency services, deliveries, building maintenance, etc?

Thank you everyone for your concern. We are now writing letters to the powers that be. As a resident in my home for over 30 years I can?t believe what I saw in the plans. I am pro school safety and pro environment but this is going to cause endless congestion in the neighbouring streets and more chaos and pollution. We have received no consultation or letter. I only found out about it through our fantastic local What?s app group Lordship to Upland. If you see a crazy lady lying across the road when they try to put the barriers down say hello.

It does seem a really unusual design given there are houses on that road. Normally you might expect one end to close and the other to have some kind of moveable barrier for access (like the school street barriers or bollards)

@goodgirlbadhairday suggest speaking to your councillors (dulwich Hill ward I think there) for them to get greater clarity.

The plans certainly show barriers at each end of the road - you have to hope that is some sort of mistake or oversight - the council seems to be rushing these all through so maybe commonsense will prevail.

All of the council's plans overlook displacement issues caused by them and there is a long held view by many that the fact these measures cause chaos elsewhere is useful to the council to help justify more changes.

Oh well Rocky, there?s a massive planning application just behind my back garden - massive excavations which will cause subsidence, noise... and Southwark didn?t deem it necessary to inform me and even people who live much closer than me... No planning notice on site. And impossible to engage councillors on it. I think Southwark Council and Southwark Labour are competing in a race to the bottom.

With reference to my previous message - one of the parent governors of Goodrich was at the Healthy Streets meeting at Christ Church and he was attending on behalf of the school. Both Maggie Browning and Jon Hartley were at the meeting.

Pugwash, there was talk last year of closing the roads around Goodrich at school drop off and pick up time. This has now been replaced with closure of the road with concrete blocks that will stay there initially for up to 18 months. I?ve come to realise that we?re not central enough here for Southwark Council and Southwark councillors to give a damn.

Goodgirl, sorry to hear about your husband and how this is all making things more difficult. I do hope our councillors have the decency to get in touch with you.

This from a neighbour

Thank you for your letter.

Our highways officers have been in discussion with Goodrich School on how best to operate the road closure, which is proposed to improve safety for their children and make them more confident to walk and cycle to school. Through those discussions, we have agreed that the closure would be through having removable barriers at one end which would be managed by the school and only put in place at school dropping off and picking up times.

This would ensure that the homes within the closed off area would have access to vehicles outside of those times (usually about 30 minutes in both the morning and afternoon). In addition, at other schools where we have already put similar arrangements in place, the school has been amenable to any requests by residents living in roads within a closed off area to open the barrier if access is needed during the closed period.

I will ask our officers to make the school aware of your specific requirements to ensure that you are not locked in through these changes and that emergency vehicle access to your home won?t be prevented through this scheme.

I hope this provides reassurance. If you wish to follow up further on this, I have copied George Mellish (the officer overseeing the borough?s school streets programme) into this email and I am sure he will be happy to provide further answers.

Best wishes

Councillor Richard Livingstone

The proposal we are now looking it is to install a permanent closure (with NAL blocks) at one end, and a retractable gate to be used at the other at drop off and pick up times. This gate would be operated by the school, and through local agreements would be moved for residents of this section of Goodrich Road if access or egress is required. NAL blocks are only being used as a temporary measure for the duration of the experimental order, but we are looking at getting some sleeves produced for the blocks.

We believe this proposal will help solve the issue of this narrow section of road being used as ?cut-through?, whilst also providing additional space for safe social distancing and as a result encouraging active travel.

We are currently in conversations with the school and trying to finalise the details with the school. At this point we will be able to amend the design drawings before the ETMO is advertised in the local press.

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards

If the intent is to improve safety for children, and make them more confident to walk or cycle to school, surely it only makes sense to implement the closure during those school hours. Why close one end permanently, and during weekends and evenings when the school isn't even open ?

The initial plan was for 2 permanent barriers. But, per the letter above, it's already been adjusted to become 1 permanent barrier, and 1 re-moveable. This is a more recent development, so isn't reflected in that original plan.

The rationale, according to the councillor, is to 'improve the safety of schoolchildren', allowing them to walk/cycle to school. But, surely that can be achieved with 2 removable barriers, and without having to close the roads completely during evenings and weekends, when there are no children there ??

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not firing on all cylinders today ,I've looked

> at the plan and I can't work out which barrier

> will be permanent .Can someone assist me ?