Mural at bottom of Spurling Road

funkymadam

I am soooo impressed. The mural is absolutely wonderful. Do go and see it if you haven't already. Conor Harrington is an amazing artist - better than Banksy. We are so lucky in ED to have this piece of art work. Yet another thing to be proud of. Really well done Conor - you are fabulous.

Went to go see this on my way through town today and its drawing a lot of deserved attention.

Its up there with the best examples of street art what have you that I've seen... I just wish the whole thing could be moved down about a foot so the guy on the lefts head is clear of the window.

Hannah1988 Wrote:

> Its up there with the best examples of street art

> what have you that I've seen... I just wish the

> whole thing could be moved down about a foot so

> the guy on the lefts head is clear of the window.

First thing I said too! It is very good tho otherwise!

Another Baroque the Streets wall is going up on Sunday/Monday. Its on the big 'white' wall in Vale End, opposite East Dulwich Station. It will be painted by Remi Rough and System and is based on 'Girl at a Window' by Rembrandt and 'Triumph of David' by Poussin, both in Dulwich Picture Gallery.

Cedges Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hannah1988 Wrote:

>

> > Its up there with the best examples of street

> art

> > what have you that I've seen... I just wish the

> > whole thing could be moved down about a foot so

> > the guy on the lefts head is clear of the

> window.

>

>

> First thing I said too! It is very good tho

> otherwise!

Every time I look at it, I think he is ducking slightly away from the window............................

Nigello Wrote:

> IngridB - what about the big wall on Goodrich

> Road, near to the junction with Barry. It's now a

> right mess although it was once fairly pretty and

> amusing. Please have a look and see what can be

> done.

Nigello

Yes I have permission for that wall to be repainted. It will be done by Phlegm https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=phlegm+artist&rlz=1C1SKPL_enGB416GB416&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YgmGUfaFKOmg0QXNtICYDw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=909 on 10/11 May. The condition I was given was that the landlord's 9 year old son could help! Phlegm is fine with this.

Since there is discussion on Street Art on this thread, you may be interested to know that there will be a debate on Street Art as part of Baroque the Streets and the Dulwich Festival on Sunday 12 May upstairs at the EDT at 7.30pm. There are 2 street artists involved, MadC http://madc.tv/ , the only woman in this project, and Shok-1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/shok-1/, and also Garry Hunter, curator and author of 'Street Art From Around the World' http://www.amazon.com/Street-Art-From-Around-World/dp/1848585403/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0 You can get tickets here. http://www.dulwichfestival.co.uk/node/757

edhistory Wrote:

> I visited the next valley today and went through

> Dulwich Village.

>

> Quite a few suitable blank walls, but no art?

>

> Is there a problem?

>

> John K

The only wall I have asked for there is from Audi on Carlton Avenue at the bottom of Court Lane, a perfect wall. I got a straight 'no'. I think the Dulwich estates might be difficult too. There are a couple of ones by Stik painted last year in Court Lane which they haven't spotted.

There will be another mural on the bowling building in Dulwich Park, by Thierry Noir, and one on the back of the tennis practice wall in Belair park (both offered by Southwark council) by MadC. These are being painted on 11/12 May.

stingray Wrote:

> That looks brilliant. Can't wait for ROA at the

> Victoria Inn.

Please NO.

I'm not going to argue artistic merit here, but rather the subject of location...

The Victoria Inn is a beautiful building constructed from lovely London stock brickwork. Personally gutted at the sight of the Paxton in Gypsy Hill (how was that ever allowed?). Surely buildings in a conservation area (I'm talking about the Victoria on Bellenden) need to get permission and public support (i.e. seeing the 'artwork' that is planned before it goes up) before this goes ahead?

Did he have any thought about blanking out the Road Name, and popossibly leaving an Ambulance driver unable to find that person needing emergency treatment? Lets hope he does not fall off of the Cherry Picker he is using.

If he did have permission to paint this then who is to blame for this removal of a Trafic Sign.

Ask Southwark Council.