Mural at bottom of Spurling Road

funkymadam

Brightly coloured pictures on the walls, crazy foam sculptures and scarecrows everywhere - I quite like the deliberately naff quality of most of it - like walking through an outdoor infants school.

The outside of 265 LL continues the child-like theme - it's a mess, like a teenager's bedroom.

Have you looked carefully at the toad on the left of the front of the building? It has a beautiful textured skin and a delicate dragon fly in its mouth. Its a shame that Malarkey https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=malarkey+street+artist&rlz=1C1SKPL_enGB416GB416&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CfSTUb3yDc73O7mYgMgG&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=892 painted his bright and simplistic figures right next to it today. It drowns a very beautiful mural. Careful curation should prevent this, and I slipped up here.

However, one of the best street artists in the world, Nunca, has flown in from Brazil to paint Dulwich. He was one of the 6 street artists invited by Tate Modern to paint the walls of the building in their street art exhibition in 2008 http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/street-art He is painting the wall in the Plough pub's car park at the top of Lordship Lane.

I liked the toad, didn't much care for the crocodile(?), the cigarette in the doorway or the rest as it makes the house look like an exploded sketch book. I'm sure the inside is worth a look though judging by the report on the beeb.

IngridB, respect - I don't know how you have managed to organise all this amazing street art, but we in ED are so lucky to be benefiting from it. Ignore all the nitpickers, I think most of us here are so thrilled that these artists are using their skills in our "modest" suburb. We are very lucky to have such inspirational people contibuting to our community.

Don't be an arse treehugger - it is not nitpicking to have a critical opinion any more than it is symptomatic of an idiotic desire to please to say that we adore it all and are SO lucky to have it in our "modest" suburb.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This will be a sale of cleaning materials?

>

> John K

Yesterday, the @BellendenRd Twitter account (I know, so shoot me) retweeted this snap that is described as a shot of the window of Chener books on Lordship Lane:

https://twitter.com/philardo/status/334971684895469569/photo/1/large

Are you acting as an enabler of this "cultural imperialism and artistic colonisation", John? (Or just looking to profit from its adherents?)

PS It is a tight crop, perhaps there are some ironic signifiers that have missed. I am not allowed out these days, so cannot stroll over to your valley to check.

• 2 weeks later...