Blackberry Playbook - any good?

Husker

I'm looking at buying the Blackberry Playbook. I want a tablet that is smaller, lighter and cheaper than an ipad and as far as I can see, the main criticism of the Playbook is the lack of apps in Blackberry App World.

But, reading some of the techie forums it sounds like you can get the Android Market on the Playbook if it is the OS 2.0. So, with my lack of tech speak, is the OS 2.0 the same as BlackBerry Tablet OS QNX (which is what I'm thinking of buying)? And if so, is it easy enough for a non techie like me to get this onto the Playbook?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts/help!

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Stay away from BlackBerry.

Yes and no. It's the equivalent of a betamax with 75% off the price. You might be the only person you know who has one, but if it will serve its purpose for a couple of years, why not.

I was given one by RIM to test/assess. The Playbook is an excellent device for use around the house or office provided you have wifi.

It is great at multi tasking and the messaging aggregation/integration with all your web accounts is excellent. we use it at home only for a varietty of things especially iPlayer, general web and personal email. Lovely crisp HD screen with great contrast...which was a surprise to me. Watching stuff via iPLayer works really well. Very fast native browser. Very well made and really well designed. Robust and very good materials. Good battery life. Fits into some jacket and coat pockets. People are surpised how good it looks and feels when shown.

Massive drawback - No native 3g - that's right, I'll say it again... NO native 3G ... which is completely bonkers.... so you need to couple it with a blackberry handheld when out and about for connectivity. There's no SIM slot and you als can't hook it to an iPhone.

Apps - If you want it for all the lastest games and fun apps - forget it! Many Apps don't exisit and likely won't ever exist for it so it seriously falls short for all the larking about stuff. However there are sites that provide Android apps that have been compiled for Blackberry and some local software to successfully install and use some of the most popular Android apps.

Hope this helps.

I have a Playbook running OS 2, It now has native email and calender. runs android apps (albeit a tad slowly) more android apps on the way, some the more popular will be re-written, a LTE (4g) version is on it way. Personally I really rate it. and at ?130 is a real bargain, I use it mostly as an ereader (sepia paper and dimmed) works great. solid piece of kit and when the new 4g is released it is sure to pick up momentum. If you buy it soon you'll get free 90 day support when you register so no real reason to fear getting teched out!

Right-Clicking