Why are UK pubs reopening on......a Saturday??

DovertheRoad

It will indeed be messy in places - especially with some pubs opening early morning. I'm not sure how much trouble we'll see round here though, I don't know anyone planning to visit a pub tomorrow. It's not like we've had Prohibition or anything, the pub can wait just a few more days.

I just don?t get why pubs are allowed to open from 0600 tomorrow.

People living near pubs may be suffering the fallout by 0900 !!

During normal times 0600 is never allowed, so why now !!?

?But Downing Street said the later opening time for pubs was a "sensible precaution" to avoid midnight parties?.

Huh ?!?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I just don?t get why clubs are allowed to open

> from 0609 tomorrow.

> People living near pubs may be suffering the

> fallout by 0900 !!

> During normal times 0600 is never allowed, so why

> now !!?

>

> ?But Downing Street said the later opening time

> for pubs was a "sensible precaution" to avoid

> midnight parties?.

>

> Huh ?!?

If they had just given a date, they thought some pubs might open just after midnight (i.e. 12.01 am on 4 July, just after midnight tonight).

But why 6am, God knows.

Not sure what that means - unless most pubs somehow lost their license during the fabled ?lockdown? period ?

diable rouge Wrote:

> I read somewhere that only those pubs with an

> existing licence to open at 6am will be able to do

> so. I suspect the numbers that can are small...

Not many pubs have a licence to open at 6am KK, you might get the odd one around the early morning markets e.g. Smithfields. I'll be surprised if any of the pubs along LL will have one. Here are the licence details of the EDT...http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=872457

Oh I see what you mean, I was thinking 'all pubs have licences, so why would some not be allowed to open at 0600 whilst others are ?'.

You mean some pubs already have the licence to do that.

Yeah, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case locally, meeting loads of pissed-up fellas on my morning dog walk just ain't gonna work for me !

As I understand it... The E.D.T. is now fully booked for Tomorrow.. Sat 4th July.

.. but will be allowing some individuals entry at the discretion of staff / management.

I have a late appointment at Kings for a MRI scan of my Pancreas tomorrow (5th Scan)

Was due to be discharged Last Friday but that is not to be. Complications.

Think I will give the EDT a miss. Really not up to it.

Will probably have a wander to see what's going on.

Memsaab are opening and have offered me a safe isolated seat / table after 10 o'clock.

I think I may opt for a delivery instead.

Millenium have been really good throughout lock-down.

Nice food.. large portions.. friendly service.

Have plenty of beer and wine at home.

Can no longer see the TV. If I wear my current prescription glasses and an older set at the same time

I can just make out the screen. Cannot see anything when out shopping.

Boots at Surrey Quays have agreed to an emergency appointment to help me out. Just have to get there.

Feeling very down at the moment. BUT .. There are a lot of people worse off than me.

Foxy.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> R number in London is now 0.8 - 1.1

Watch it rise further rise as UK "reopens for business". Over here in Portugal we reopened in phases from 4th May and fully by June 1st. As a result R has risen from < to just over 1 in specific areas (Lisbon) leading to the first spot lockdowns.

The vast range in the UK R number you quote illustrates the data quality problems and the potential for political manipulation. From what I can see UK has stopped counting properly.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> As I understand it... The E.D.T. is now fully

> booked for Tomorrow.. Sat 4th July.

>

> I have a late appointment at Kings for a MRI scan

> of my Pancreas tomorrow (5th Scan)

> Was due to be discharged Last Friday but that is

> not to be. Complications.

>

> Think I will give the EDT a miss. Really not up

> to it.

>

> Will probably have a wander to see what's going

> on.

> Feeling very down at the moment. BUT .. There are

> a lot of people worse off than me.

>

> Foxy.

Best wishes and good luck for your scan DulwichFox.

Sephiroth Wrote:

> ties in with 'spoons breakfast club doesn't it?

Spoons opens at 8am and starts serving booze at 9am.

A friend of mine lived in a pub called the Railway Tavern and it used to open at 5am. I daresay Dockside pubs and Railway and market pubs have licences that start early

Didn't mean to but went to three pubs today. Wont give their names

Pub 1 - not an upmarket place. Temperature checks, details recorded (phone for track and trace), at table service

Pub 2. None of the above. Locals mingling in-doors. Long queue for those sitting outside (served inside)

Pub 3. Fell in between 1 and 2. Again didn't do what pub 1 did. Staff serving behind screens with masks too. Manager mingled with mask at half mast.

Second wave on its way.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

---------------------------------------------------From what I

> can see UK has stopped counting properly.

From what I can see, the UK never started counting properly!

Hope your health improves soon, Foxy 🦊

I have no intention of going inside a pub this summer.

I know that businesses need to get back on their feet - it is important. But only seems to be the minority that are doing the reservations, track-and-trace, table service thing. Most of them seem to be pretty much a free-for-all. this is just going to be counter-productive if we all have to close everything up again in a few weeks time.

Don't forget, the Gov's initial strategy in dealing with the virus was one of 'herd immunity', allowing the virus to spread among the population until it runs out of hosts and dies out naturally. It was only the optics of the NHS being overwhelmed with body bags that made them change this strategy to a lockdown.

What we're seeing now is a return to the 'herd immunity' approach. It started with the 'common sense' campaign, put the onus on the people, it they catch it, it's their fault. And if the poll on Peston last week is anything to go by, it's working as to who the public will blame if there's a second wave...

Eb36kQ3XkAArZVg?format=jpg&name=small

malumbu Wrote:

> Don't think I'll be venturing down Soho or Borough

> Market for the time being. A time warp would be

> good to take the Market Porter back to the mid 90s

> when there was no issue with crowds.

>

>

> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/soho-like-pe

> tri-dish-super-22302716

Totally different vibe to that shown on TV from only six months ago - although I was more likely to be in the Grapes and the Southwark Tavern - both very crowded on a usual night and space at a premium - no idea how they did spacing.

A Welsh persons favorite England hooker (Brian Moore) seemed to be at a pub called the Garden Shed in Wimbledon and gave it a good review for spacing, atmosphere etc. There are some pubs that look to be OK and may be worth visiting in a couple of weeks.