-------------------------------------------------------

> I see one of the protesters against the Heathrow

> expansion on the roof of the House of Commons

> today was from East Dulwich, or as the Daily

> Cookwank calls them "the new pin-ups of the green

> movement"

>

> "Olivia Chessel the youngest of today's protesters

> (bottom left), was also involved in that campaign.

> She was pictured today with one arm raised aloft

> in triumphant salute. She lives with her mother

> Karen, 59, in East Dulwich."

>

> http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_04/protes

> ter1_800x567.jpg

>

> I prefer having the picture of that tennis girl

> scratching her bum pinned up on my wall, but maybe

> that's just me

Is Olivia a cyborg, or a terminusator?

Well yes, I'm sure they won't keep the number of aircraft exactly the same with a brand new runway. However, increasing 2 runways to 3 doesn't means a linear increase in traffic at all times of the day.

There are planes circling overhead at peak times that would be landed more quickly and quietly with less queueing. Also, there are government regulations in place regarding available slots.

Yeah - probably two steps back three steps forward on the traffic front, I'm sure.. for the short-term anyway.

Longer term.. I'm sure traffic in the air is rather like traffic on the ground. You build three new lanes and bask in the joys of the open road for a year or two, but in a few years time you're sitting in the same old jam - just with more lanes.

I must have been drunk when I volunteered, but volunteer I did and today I went off to T5 as a trials volunteer.

A fabulous building. Big glassy etc etc.

They said they'd treat us as if we were regular passengers on a flight out.

And the exercise today (there have been a lot of these trials days) was to work out what happens when the computers go down and we all have to be herded about without computers but with the staff (cough splutter) writing things down, like our boarding passes for example.

And sure enough, we were indeed herded. No-one explaining the delay on the tannoy system. Out "flight" (and indeed we did get to go on a plane and then off again!) was over an hour late with no explanation.

We had far too small a space on our feedback forms for feedback so we all wrote where we could on the forms to say what we thought.

An interesting experience. Remind me not to do it again!

I'm sticking with Virgin; BA will be the ones using T5 mostly.

I know this is not quite the topic in hand.

I can't make up my mind about 3rd runway.

If we all didn't want to fly, there'd be no need.

Just like,

if we didn't buy the Sun it wouldn't be published.

If we didn't watch crap TV they wouldn't make it.

etc etc.

Too tired to make any more coherent points!

Ohhhhhhhh and JUSt like the real thing, the air conditioning and herding made me sneeze.

Why on earth did I volunteer? Just a goodie bag handed to us, an electric adaptor for Europe/UK/USA and a cheap plastic wallet and a name tag holder. Seriously.

I moved to East Dulwich as I was at the end of my tether with planes in Fulham. They were so noisy at 5am every morning. I desperately hope we don't get more planes above. It can seriously damage your quality of life.

London is a (the?) global city....fed up of the subsequent problems? (noise etc) then move to Scotland you luddites - alternatively, never use a plane again or buy any produce flown in buy plane then legitimately moan, I'm really, really fed up with smug Nibyism and hypocracy on everything nowadays...

I think they may have started routing the planes on a more southernly pattern going in Heathrow. I came in from the West on a flight and our approach took us to the north of london, turning over the Dartford bridge and then round over Crystal Palace rather than straight down the river as they used to go. Are the folks hearing more aircraft noise living more towards the Forest Hill end of ED? I live up that way and today every plane was coming in over our house rather than just a few as it used to be. They changed the holding patterns for Stansted and Luton a few weeks back and I wonder if that is forcing planes further south over London.

I live over in Herne Hill and can definitely vouch for the fact that there has been a change in the flight routes to Heathrow. I don't have a garden but the gardens behind my flat were an oasis of tranquillity until the morning of new year's eve when I woke up at 5.30am to the sound of Boeings overhead. Apparently flight paths are 3k wide and within that they can go where they want. Still, somebody somewhere has obviously made a conscious decision to change the route over SE London. Does anyone know if the routes do change periodically or if this is just it from now on? The Civil Aviation Authority aren't much use and the Heathrow 24 hr line (0800 344844) is just an answer machine message, which shows how little interest they have in being accountable...

I suspect the arrival procedures (known as STARs) have been changed and I bet it is because the new holding areas for Stansted and Luton are pushing planes further south on their approach to Heathrow. Why does the cynic in me also suspect the changes may also have something to do with the third runway plans. A bit like Red Ken changing the phasing of the lights in London before the congestion charge came in!

Either that of a government minister has complained to BAA about the noise above their house in Chelsea and has got it changed!!!

Hi all,

I've just moved to East Dulwich - really like the area - but just noticed this thread and was wondering if the plane noise has been worse over the last few days than normal? I've been looking around and been here alot over the last few months and haven't really noticed any plane noise but yesterday and today has been like living right next to an airport!!I was out near Hounslow today and the planes seemed less frequent there than here! Or maybe I am just focussing in on it subconciously?? Look forward to meeting people.

Richard.

It's a pain when the wind blows this way, but it has seemed worse than usual. Maybe there's a shallower approach due to winds, or just something about the atmospherics?

Purest guesswork from me, but it definitely seems louder than usual to me, and those planes this morning seemed awful low for this neck of the woods.

It's the wind/clouds channelling the noise down, I'm sure. It's not such a problem when it's cloudless, even in the summer when there are definitely more planes because of the holidays. Anyway, I miss Concorde at 1730 and 1845 every night.