Accident on lordship lane 10.15 pm 16/09/12

Elephant

An accident has just happend between a unmarked police car and another car near friern rd. Traffic is being diverted down friern rd. This is the second accident within several months on Lordship Lane. The council needs to look at putting in place speed restrictions on lordship lane.

Live on Lordship Lane and heard the accident the police car must have been going very fast as the noise was deafening. Went to see if I could help but lots of people already helping (weirdly plain clothed policeman from the car was more interested in asking if I had heard the siren). Myself and my neighbours were all asked this but no one had heard sirens or seen a flashing blue lights. I hope the lady they hit is ok but the police really need to use their flashing lights at night as they normally turn off their sirens. As Elephant says this is the second crash on this part of Lordship Lane. Cars regularly drive at 40+ and it's only a matter of time until another crash happens. I am always very surprised how fast cars are traveling when I am reversing out of my driveway. A sign that flashes slow down and shows the car's speed would really help slow traffic if postioned near Overhill Road (on the left hand side of the lane when traveling towards East Dulwich).

If anyone saw the accident & police didn't take your details it would probably be really helpful to call the local police & provide your account in writing(including whether there were sirens or lights). I was hit by the police on ED Grove, luckily no one hurt but my car written off. 4 mnths later they tried to prosecute me for careless driving! (i had been stationary). Luckily as the officer's 'different accounts' in court were obvious, the case was dropped. In my experience the police drive far too fast in London.

Hi mynamehere

Thank you for your information I do feel that a slow down sign is needed as there is a crossing island between Friern and Upland road, which is heavily used by the pupils of Goodrich School, and the Harris Academies to cross Lordship Lane and I have witnessed some very near misses as cars travel so fast there. I have just posted on James Barbers thread to ask him to look into this and how to go about asking the council for traffic calming measures on this section. I hope the lady whose car was hit last night and the plain clothed police officers involved are not badly hurt but I feel with two high speed crashes in recent months the next crash could have a tragic outcome.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When Trams uaed Lordship lane a tram left the

> rails on the bend and finished up in the front

> garden opposite Norman Court a few gardens up from

> the old Fire Station.

> ( Not many know that )

Obviously pre Lordship Lane Estate as they used to be a row of houses along there before the Estate was built in the early 50s.

Good Point.

I do have all the John Beasley and Bob Oxley books.

Its interesting that Robert Oxley was born in 1939, a bit too young to remember very much personally about the war, but it did make me laugh when his mother frightended by a flying bomb overhead, pulled Bob into a ditch saying " here comes Hitler on his bike ".

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Treeviews - that's outrageous, couldn't you have

> pursued the police for fabrication/perjury ?!

Hello. Yes probably could have (advised I could) but was just mostly glad it was all over. Didn't really want to get entangled with the police again. Not so trusting now!