Keeping ED safe - masks in shops (staff and shoppers)

I thought there?d be some kind of negative reply but some of those reading might see the sense in what was said so I could take that.

Don?tbesilly

The intention wasn?t to tell people what to do , though I?m not convinced the government guidance is always right - as you say everyone makes their own choice.

I do think the points made are worth sharing. The view on the wearing of masks has changed over the months but it?s now widely accepted they reduce the transmission of the virus and you could have it and feel fine so you are not wearing it for you. I wouldn?t want to pass it on unknowingly. That?s why I put it on here.

Thanks for your response, probably got this a few more views.

I hope not to hear of anyone else who had it but just because you don?t and don?t expect to be badly affected should you get it doesn?t mean it?s wrong to wear a mask to protect others.

Your initial response says to me you are looking at this from your point of view not how what you do could impact others but in another response you did ask that your points be addressed not just written off as they didn?t agree.

? I never wear a mask, as i cant really be bothered to have this thing on my face. ?

Totally agree masks aren?t comfortable and my glasses steaming up is only going to be more of a problem as the weather gets colder. Everyone can make their own choice, except where the law says they must be used. Balance how you feel when wearing a mask against the benefits - it?s in all our interests to reduce the spread.

?I am young and fit anyway so i have no fear of the virus.?

I hope that lack of fear means you don?t catch it but it?s not just those who are old and unfit that can be badly affected. I know of someone who caught it, spent weeks on a ventilator, weeks in hospital after leaving intensive care and is due home on Monday. Still some way to go in his recovery but he was the one in the family they were least worried would catch it. I?m sure if you are the young, fit person who catches it and ends up in hospital it won?t matter to you and your family that most young people don?t get it bad.

?Anyone who does would do well to avoid catching it by NOT going to shops on 'the lane' and keeping yourself safer like common sense would dictate.?

Plenty are, but it?s not fully in anyone?s control just as you can be involved in a road accident when you?ve followed all the rules but the other driver didn?t.

I don?t expect anyone to respond to this to say this has made them think but if it makes one person think I?ll be happy.

dontbesilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What makes you think you are above the government

> guidelines, and you can tell others what to do? It

> remains peoples choice whether they wear masks or

> not, with the exception of public transport.

>

> I never wear a mask, as i cant really be bothered

> to have this thing on my face. I am young and fit

> anyway so i have no fear of the virus. Anyone who

> does would do well to avoid catching it by NOT

> going to shops on 'the lane' and keeping yourself

> safer like common sense would dictate.

YOU may be young and fit and YOU may not be at risk of dying or becoming seriously ill.

but how would YOU feel if as an asymptomatic carrier of the virus you passed it on to a single mother with underlying health issues and she died?

how would YOU feel if someone fit and healthy and young like you carrying the virus whilst not wearing a mask passed it on to your grand parents or parents and one of them died or they passed it to your also young friend who due to his obesity ended up with organ failure in ICU?

Its people with your attitude that are helping to spread this potentially killer disease.

Dont be selfish-you could save lives.

I raided my charity bag and made some from t-shirts using this video

but I also got a pack of single use ones in Sainsbury's for ?8 for 10 which will help.

It then occurred to me that if masks are mandatory then people on benefits will need a supply and ?8 is a lot of money if you are on benefits and have mouths to feed.(and if they are deemed mandatory the vultures will then buy up all the stock unless they are rationed)

Good point seenbeen. Given there is a good chance they will be made mandatory in shops when Boris clarifies if enforcement will take place maybe if you give to a food bank donation they might have community links they could distribute masks via

pk Wrote:

> looks like Boris has finally got away from the

> masks do more harm than good BS!

He's apparently not around much at present - Cummings running the show :)

At the start of the pandemic many people thought masks (even non surgical ones) would protect them - rather than masks protecting others from you. To have encouraged or even endorsed mask wearing then would have been to court danger, it could be argued, whilst now mask wearing is seen as a courtesy to others, as well as offering (albeit minimal) protection to others from symptom-less carriers. Had more been known about them and their prevalence maybe the advice could have been different.

But certainly distancing and handwashing are still your best protection from others.

To some extent at least mask wearing is a second set of braces once you have the belt and braces of handwashing and distancing - although in circumstances where distancing is difficult (public transport, cramped shops or workplaces) they may offer something to others around you, should you be the one silently infected.

But now we (mostly) know what masks do (and, crucially, don't offer) - more wearing of them may be sensible.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> At the start of the pandemic many people thought

> masks (even non surgical ones) would protect them

> - rather than masks protecting others from you. To

> have encouraged or even endorsed mask wearing then

> would have been to court danger, it could be

> argued, whilst now mask wearing is seen as a

> courtesy to others, as well as offering (albeit

> minimal) protection to others from symptom-less

> carriers. Had more been known about them and their

> prevalence maybe the advice could have been

> different.

>

> But certainly distancing and handwashing are still

> your best protection from others.

>

> To some extent at least mask wearing is a second

> set of braces once you have the belt and braces of

> handwashing and distancing - although in

> circumstances where distancing is difficult

> (public transport, cramped shops or workplaces)

> they may offer something to others around you,

> should you be the one silently infected.

>

> But now we (mostly) know what masks do (and,

> crucially, don't offer) - more wearing of them may

> be sensible.

isnt the current view that (proper) masks can reduce the risk of infection for the wearer as well as those around them?

i don't agree on the 'courting danger' point

i've always believed masks weren't encouraged earlier as the government knew that there was inadequate supply (i don't have evidence for that being the reason tho the supply issue is fact)

Masks are ok, they do help somewhat, I think. What also helps is keeping one?s distance, not like the good parents of Goodrich who meet and chat at very close quarters of a morning, mask- and worry-free! Don?t hang around in shops, go early or late to avoid any crush and just think that everyone around you could be symptom-free but still infective.

I am worried about the issue of public transport. I travelled on the P13 on Saturday evening and a large group of teenage girls boarded at Goose Green, without masks. Not only were they without masks, but they then sat behind and in front of elderly people, leaning over the seats and definitely in other people's space ........

siousxiesue Wrote:

> I wonder if the system of ticket inspection can be

> broadened to include spot checks for masks.

I've actually spoken to BTP and TFL about this having seen large groups of people going through ticket barriers at the tube station not wearing masks and not being spoken to or refused entry.

This was when a half a dozen BTP were stood nearby.

I was told that they haven't actually been given any power to enforce the rule.

A colleague made a good comparison (I thought) yesterday in comparing the anti-mask brigade to those who took offense to the law requiring seat belts to be always worn. Those opposed to seat belts also believed that they were not effective in reducing injury risk. So it would seem there are just a section of people who will never believe anything they are told, irregardless of the evidence to the contrary.

Duly authorised TfL employees and any police officer, even a PCSO, are among those with some enforcement powers. But the powers exist only in respect of those who are do not have a reasonable excuse for not wearing a mask. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/592/made. I suspect it's open to both TfL and BTP to enquire of any passenger why they're not personally wearing one. But I doubt that either body will consider it useful, politic or justified to exercise that discretion universally. There's no regulation saying you must declare your excuse every time you travel.

NewWave Wrote:

> siousxiesue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I wonder if the system of ticket inspection can

> be

> > broadened to include spot checks for masks.

>

> I've actually spoken to BTP and TFL about this

> having seen large groups of people going through

> ticket barriers at the tube station not wearing

> masks and not being spoken to or refused entry.

> This was when a half a dozen BTP were stood

> nearby.

> I was told that they haven't actually been given

> any power to enforce the rule.

Do they need to enforce - can't they just go over and remind ?

I was in Forest Hill Sainsbury's last night. At least a third of people were not wearing masks. One recorded message played while I was in the shop asking people to wear masks. It was immediately followed by a message asking people to being considerate of staff and customers who might not be able to wear masks or to social distance for personal reasons. With this kind of mixed messaging I don't think it will be long before a lot more customers stop bothering to wear masks. It seems that Sainsbury's are as concerned about people without masks being judged or confronted as they are about trying to protect their staff and customers from Covid. It seems crazy to me. Very disappointed in Sainsbury's. And even more so in its customers.