Movember

Atticus

Don't buy into it, though tempted just through curiosity to see how I would suit a moustache.

I would much prefer it if Movember was side-saddled with another act of good will, say, helping out at a local hospice for one morning or, cleaning shit out of a local canal.

I think sporting one's moustachioed photos whilst detailing a genuine act of good will would be more thought provoking and thus more profitable.

I enjoy Movember and like to sponsor a good mo. A friend of mine (in quite a senior job where he has to meet clients) this year has upped the ante and had his head partially shaved and the remaining hair and beard dyed red, white and blue. Hard to describe the result.

I particularly appreciate it when someone grows an unironic-looking moustache so that you're not quite clear whether it's real or for laffs. Droopy handlebar moustaches, while fun, are not quite as brave. But I can see *Bob* frowning at me now, so will run away.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For the record, of course I 'buy into' Movember.

> Can there really be any reasonable reasons for not

> doing so?!

Apart from a shed load of blokes growing dodgy 'taches without any sponsorship etc. but rather to convince the world they are charitable angels - like getting to wear a 'flag-day flag' for a whole month without actually donating.

But even if ("if") that were the case, it's still a win-win on the awareness front.

The sponsorship element is fine, but the yearly reminder to give your nadgers the once-over is more important.

There are lots of genuine reasons to thumb your nose at a particular charity or other (say, Comic Relief because of Lenny Henry) but this one seems to be a perfect balance of being both well useful and completely harmless.

Well, Atticus, all I can say is b*llocks!

As someone who suffered from testicular cancer at 23 if I had not been back to the doctors THREE times I'd have died and my son wouldn't be the same age now as I was when I was diagnosed.

Sure it doesn't take much to grow a moustache, but it makes men consider their health issues. I'm now of an age where I will be making sure that my prostate gets checked out.

Movember helps men realise there is no stigma in losing a testicle, having a per-anal prostate examination and to be less afraid of facing up to their fears. Testicular cancer holds the stigma of being less of a man, and allowing someone to penetrate you even for medical reasons is complete anathema for some men. Testicular cancer is eminently treatable. Prostate cancer is a silent killer because it is virtually asymptomatic.

Movember helps fund research into both the cause and treatments for diseases. Trust me you would rather have your prostate shrunk via microwave than someone shoving a telescope the size of your little finger up your urethra. I know, I used to sell them.

I wonder, would people criticise women for just wearing a pink bow for breast cancer, or should they also do a genunine act of goodwill?

We are all entitled to an opinion, however I really do think you are 100% wrong Atticus. Perhaps this post will help you reconsider.

Growing a moustache without it being linked to donations is similar to sporting a red Aids or a pink breast cancer ribbon in my mind but a bit more itchy. What does it mean? That you are aware? You have a friend or family member with the disease? If you have a Just Giving page or something similar then fantastic.

randombloke, no doubt you are more aware of male health issues due to what you went through. I don't think lots of men growing moustaches in November is going to make the average male consider his health more.

*Bob* Wrote:

> It's like those poppies innit. Every every year, I

> see people wearing them.

>

> What's that all about then?

Maybe your friend with the Hitler tache wore his poppy at the same time?

randombloke Wrote:

> Well, Atticus, all I can say is b*llocks!

> As someone who suffered from testicular cancer at

> 23 if I had not been back to the doctors THREE

> times I'd have died and my son wouldn't be the

> same age now as I was when I was diagnosed.

>

> Sure it doesn't take much to grow a moustache, but

> it makes men consider their health issues. I'm now

> of an age where I will be making sure that my

> prostate gets checked out.

> Movember helps men realise there is no stigma in

> losing a testicle, having a per-anal prostate

> examination and to be less afraid of facing up to

> their fears. Testicular cancer holds the stigma of

> being less of a man, and allowing someone to

> penetrate you even for medical reasons is complete

> anathema for some men. Testicular cancer is

> eminently treatable. Prostate cancer is a silent

> killer because it is virtually asymptomatic.

>

> Movember helps fund research into both the cause

> and treatments for diseases. Trust me you would

> rather have your prostate shrunk via microwave

> than someone shoving a telescope the size of your

> little finger up your urethra. I know, I used to

> sell them.

>

> I wonder, would people criticise women for just

> wearing a pink bow for breast cancer, or should

> they also do a genunine act of goodwill?

>

> We are all entitled to an opinion, however I

> really do think you are 100% wrong Atticus.

> Perhaps this post will help you reconsider.

Our office is full of moustachied men. There are flyers for Byrons Burgers, Gilette and some other corporates.

Until I read your post, I couldn't tell you what Movember was actually for...it would be interesting to see how much it promotes awareness...

Women are so much better at this kind of health awareness campaign. Men are rubbish at looking after their own health, so it's great to see Movember taking off over here.

Movember started in Australia, which just has such a better track record of men's health issues. I just wish some of the other stuff going on over there could make it to the UK, like Mensline (depression, relationship issues, etc) and the Men's Sheds movement (general health).

Movember is a genius charity format in it's sheer simplicity because:

- Any bloke can do it (unless you're a baldy mouth). Beats running a marathon.

- it's funny and so people are more likely to dip into their pockets

- it's backed by a great website and has caught on - loads of people doing it for a decent cause

- It's thankfully temporary.

Hi all,

Apologies for the shameless plug but I wanted to mention what I'm doing for movember and hope you don't mind hearing about it? If not maybe it will raise some more awareness at the very least?

This november I'm raising awareness and money for movember (http://uk.movember.com/about/). I'm not just growing a mo' i'm doing 'The South London' 10km run and hoping to do it in the quickest time possible. Before November I had done no medium or long distance runs in the last year so it has been a big challenge, with a physio appointment used at one stage!

I've been pushing myself really hard and over the course of november I've been on 26 runs and covered 153 km (94 miles).

I hope you appreciate the time and effort I am putting in, and please be aware of the issues a large majority of men

will face in their lifetime. We can all do small things to help, both for prevention and detection.

I'll be updating how I get on, on my movember page, pictures from the 10km event will also be uploaded.

http://uk.movember.com/mospace/1877906

Thanks for your time :)