scam Virgin Media- Virus phone call

Domme_Jay

Just had a fairly convincing phone call...

They said they were calling from the technical dept of Virgin Media and that there was a virus prob with my computer!

got me to:

go to the team viewer website,

join a remote control session and give them my computers details (which I didn't),

I was googling as we talked, I asked if they had my account number, bill payment date etc, which they didn't.

I then said I wasn't happy, that they should call back in 10 mins when I have had time to check, they haven't.

Scary how close I got to being scammed- be warned.

Hi Domme Jay...

When you say.

go to the team viewer website,

join a remote control session and give them my computers details (which I didn't),

Are you saying You didn't give them your computer details or you did not join the remote session.

If you joined the remote seesion, (and I really do not wish to worry you.) but if you did join a remote session

they would have been able to examine the contents of your PC.

You may of seen your curser move under their control.

Did you download anything. You may of downloaded Dangerous software.

If you did not download or join any remote session you should be safe.

If you did you should change your any login passwords / email passwords and run any Anti Spyware

software you have installed.

You should also Run Microsoft Windows Malicious Software removal Tool. (MRT)

instructuctions for MRT:-

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24076-malicious-software-removal-tool.html

Foxy.

I had the same/similar call a few weeks ago. They got really irate when I immediately said I wasn't interested in talking to them (I asked them to write to me instead - my standard response to cold callers, if it really is Virgin/Inland Revenue/Gas COmpany etc they will not mind having to write) and they called me back 3 times in a row, getting more and more aggressive each time. Finally when I threatened to report them they hung up and didn't ring again. Not sure WHO to report them to though!

Anyway I went and set my preferences on the TPS website, and to be fair I haven't had a single cold-caller since (I used to get almost one a day):

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

sbarry Wrote:

> Anyway I went and set my preferences on the TPS

> website, and to be fair I haven't had a single

> cold-caller since (I used to get almost one a

> day):

> http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

xxxxxxx

I'm registered with the TPS and I still get loads of spam calls, almost all with the number withheld.

If you do 1471 and there is an actual number, you can google it to see who it is.

That is how I found out that Eon keep phoning me, presumably to try to get me to go back with them.

It's all got so bad I've started not answering the phone. If it's somebody I know, or a genuine call, they won't hang up as soon as the answering machine cuts in.

I am registered TPS and still get loads of calls. Straight away I tell them I am about to charge them one pound a minute for wasting my time. Inspired by case a couple of weeks ago where a bloke was able to do exactly that! The court forced the cold call company to award him the costs he had invoiced for their time wasting cold call. It soon shuts them up.