Bric-a-brac guy took my stuff and won't pay up

Adam

I gave some stuff to David, the bric-a-brac shop owner on Upland Rd. We agreed he'd try to sell it for ?60 (it was easily worth that). 6 months and about a dozen visits later, he won't give me the money or my things back. There's no sign of the stuff in his shop. He always fobs me off with some excuse why he can't pay - recently simply claiming he has no cash. It doesn't seem to bother him that he's basically just stolen my stuff. And he seemed like such a nice chap too...

You would hope that if you took your possessions to a local established bric a brac shop that you wouldn't need a written agreement, but sadly I guess you do. I don't think that would stop you from seeking legal recourse in the small claims court. It might be worth having a word with the local police station - phone them first?

He's actually alright and a decent bloke who's taken back stuff for me. But he's disorganised and I doubt the place takes much at all so not the best play if it mattered to you. Why didn't you ebay it if was worth anything? Best sorted out offline?

@stephen509 - that was my thought, but there's nothing here I want

@KidKruger - I asked for one, but he persuaded me that he didn't work that way!

@Chillaxed - yes

@DJKillaQueen - wise words

@right-clicking - nice idea

@MrBen - yes, I liked him too. Spoken to him on a few occasions before giving him the stuff. I do occasionally use eBay, but it seemed like too much hassle for these items.

@Annette - Yes, he's a very mellow, friendly guy (even when he's telling you he won't pay you!) And yes, the stuff was definitely worth at least ?60 - it was all good quality.

@Gidget - I'd rather not do that

I'm going to keep asking him for my cash (or stuff back) whenever I go past. One day he may pay. Just thought others should know in case you are entering into a similar "deal" with him.

Does he agree he has your goods (and does he agree what the list of goods is).

Does he agree he promised you a certain amount ?

Ask him.

If he does agree, ask for your money or goods.

If he refuses/makes further excuses say you'll proceed now through small claims court.

Be polite.

But make sure you have someone with you who is not related / your partner, to 'witness', they don't need to be stood beside you, they could have happened to stroll-up previously and be browsing at the time you approach the shopkeeper...

Personally I would record it, given the circumstances, but that's probably not recommended by most.

I've used recorded phone calls in court to counter lies, even though I had no permission to record from the opponent. Nothing quite like the recording demonstrating the complete opposite of what the liar is saying, very humbling for the liar - the arrogance suddenly diminishes and the court's patience with them starts to wane.