What is East Dulwich Listening to?

capt_birdseye

Mercury Rev's new fella.

For those who thought Deserter's Songs was a step too far in terms of their self-reinvention, leave alone the pastoral twee of Secret Migration, then nothing on Snowflake Midnight will convince you otherwise, taking in song titles such as Butterfly's Wing, Dream of a Young Girl as a Flower, or A Squirrel & I.

I must say I was a bit of a sucker for all of it, and despite Flaming Lips overkill and my disappointment with their last album, which tread very much upon the Rev's territory, I'm being charmed once again.

This time the Rev try out a bit of electronica.

Obviously don't go expecting The Prodigy's Narcotic Suite here, think more Postal Service or Her Space Holiday, but with enough Rev eccentricity and creativity to keep away a saccharine aftertaste.

Worth a punt in My book at any rate. (I only went in to look for the Lambchop album, any idea when it's out?)

Christ on a bike. I remember going to see Mercury Rev when they were a bunch of noiseniks supporting House Of Love at the Albert Hall back in '92. Got chatting to Debbie Harry that night as it happens. Swoon swoon. They've come a long way since then though haven't they.

My flat mate back in 92 got me into both the Rev and the Lips, along with the likes of the Jesus & Mary Chain and other members of whatever name that 'new wave' went by back then when I was a mere whippersnapper.

I drifted away from them and was staggered to hear Deserters Songs about 7 or 8 years later. A long way indeed Jah.

capt_birdseye Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone heard Ys by Joanna Newsome? Absolutley

> bonkers, but in a good way.

Yeah I love it .... I wonder what she will come up with next ?

recently I have been enjoying listening to

bert jansch , birdengine , mary hampton , some early fall , fourtet ,...

• 2 weeks later...

Had my monthly Fopp splurge.

Won't bore you with all the details, but listening to Lambchop's new album Ohio, which is just lovely.

Not that Damaged was depressing or anything, Kurt doesn't really do down, regardless of what life throws at him. But you can just sense this album was recorded during happier times. It's really beautiful if very much trademark Lambchop territory, which to stretch the metaphor, is probably the long bar at the Sanderson, with a pair of wood pigeons cooing in the retro decor and chipmunks teasing at the bands frayed trouser hems.

On to Montreal's latest, which can only be described as a ludicrous album. I can sense genius in there somewhere, but honestly where to start looking, no sooner have you pressed play and thought, hmm electro bright eyes, than it's immediately changed to Spinto, followed about 35 seconds later to Queen....or Abba or something, before becoming Ziggy Stardustesque glam en route to Joan Jet via a 30 second stint of discordant industrial power drill music before...you get the picture.

All terrifically executed I must say.

And a debut from Ottowa's the Acorn, which from a brief listen seems to be doing all the right things with pianos, strings, guitars and the usual mcgubbins to my mind.

beef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Jah ,have you listened to Lee 'scratch' Perry's

> new pair with andy WK and Mr Sherwood? Are they

> any good? Umming and Ahhing due to small budget

> after ebay splurge

I haven't yet. I've been humming and ahhing about that a bit myself but due to a current financial crisis I'll have to give them a bit of a miss. I've got about 30 or 40 of his albums though, mostly the Black Ark stuff and before and a little beyond so I reckon that's enough to be getting on with for a while.

It's like playing spot the made up bands...

Too right. I would imagine that about 90% of the music listed on this thread is completely un-listenable to all but the most hard-core "muso".

This week I am mostly listening to The Best of Disney. Hakuna Matata everybody (it means no worries)!

• 2 weeks later...

Good choices.

Loved Boxer, might even pip Alligator in my book. The Producer is producing the EP for some mates of mine, which they are hugely excited about, as they're big National fans too.

Here's an old one of theirs if you're interested, clearly they were rather into Coldplay and U2 at the time if you get my drift.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BHC4CIb5Exg