Aggressive cold-caller

gaylad

Had a slightly scary experience just before 3pm today on Ondine Road of a cold-caller. He looked about 30 years old, tall, black hair, with north England accent. No badge or offer of ID. Claimed to be an ex-prisoner but never got around to actually stating what he wanted. After a couple of minutes and repeating my 'no thanks', I closed the door to him, which resulting in him shouting that I was a prick. Fortunately, he did not approach the door. We know that cold-calling is frustrating, especially during lockdown, but this was someone behaving in a chaotic way with escalating threatening behaviour.

Deeply regret answering the door without wearing a facemask. Attached is a partial photo from my doorcam, anyone else had problems with this guy or know what this is about?

Hey, this guy just knocked on our door (overhill road) about 15 mins ago. Same deal, said his name was Paul just out of jail and wanting to better himself, didn't get any further as his knock on the door woke up our baby, so I wasn't best pleased. No idea what he wanted but he is now making his way down the street, knocking on every door as he goes, heading towards underhill road.

Yes knocked on my door also on Ondine. Was messing about with his phone all the time & saying how difficult it was to get a cab. Said he was from Newcastle & and had been in prison. When I said I didn?t do any business on the door he said I was being rude. I laughed & told him I was just saving him time & shut the door. The only reason I answered the door was it looked like he had a big AMazon delivery bag on his back so I thought it was a delivery.

Same guy knocked on my mums door today claiming to be working with the homeless or something. My mum refused his offer of whatever it was and he said ?The people around here are dogs? and when my mother (who isn?t afraid of speaking her mind) asked him to repeat himself he backed off and said ?Not you love! What are your neighbours like?? Very strange but not sure whether it would be worth noting to the police.

• 2 weeks later...

I?ve just been checking the government guidance on what businesses should close in tier 4. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/closing-certain-businesses-and-venues-in-england

Looks to me as if cold calling shouldn?t be happening. Under ?Businesses required to close? it says ?Door-to-door sales should not be taking place ....?

Maybe not something to raise if he?s aggressive but might be worth mentioning to the police. I?d guess anything related to coronavirus is prioritised and no harm in getting a positive outcome. If not it might get their attention as it could help them achieve two targets in one. As it sounds like he?s been doing this for some time they probably know of him. Could stop him going to somebody?s door the aggressive behaviour frightens.

He?s not trying to sell anything, he?s asking for money but trying to make it sound like it?s for a charity or for him personally to get money together ?to join the army? and other various, vague reasons. He?s been to our door with a variety of different stories over the last couple of years.

This guy literally ran into me coming out of a drive way on Dulwich Village just before Christmas - all in black and carrying a big black bag. My initial reaction was that he looked a bit like a painter and decorator that had once done some work for us and whom we have since recommended alot - my first reaction was that it was him that I'd banged into and I greeted him with a "Oh, hi". He said something along the lines of "You have a beautiful smile but the people around here are all so up their own ar$s$" .... needless to say I was a bit taken by surprise and realised on hearing him that it wasn't our painter and decorator. I did wonder afterwards whether I had interrupted a burglar leaving the scene of a crime, such was the speed that he came out of the driveway and thinking through the large black bag that he was carrying ... I did let the police know about this incident incase there had been a break in reported with a description - but seeing this post with the picture attached makes me feel a little bit better as I can probably assume now that he'd just been given the short, sharp shrift from someone who he'd been hassling on their own front doorstep.

• 1 month later...

We just had the same experience at 8:30pm on Forest Hill

Road, just near the herne tavern. He said he was just out of prison. He wouldn?t take no for an answer and wouldn?t leave the doorstep so my partner shut the door. He opened the letterbox and yelled through ?you will

Regret this?. The same experience happened to my neighbour 5mims

Before. I saw him climb into a dark grey people mover. There was an altercation in the back of the car with another person and he is punched who was in the back before

Getting in. It feels like it?s an organised racket. We reported it to the police. It looks like the photo and description of the guy who was in the area in December. It?s mad that he?s still in the area. I wonder if we can build

More of a profile for the police from this thread?