Dulwich Hospital Wasteland - New ED Carpark?

Gimme

I'm always tickled by the euphemistic phrase "affordable housing". Do you mean "cheap housing"? Because all housing is affordable to someone. If we assume you mean cheap housing, then Southwark PCT is unlilkely to see as good a return as it would get for... er... non-cheap housing. So wouldn't that be robbing health service Peter to pay social housing Paul?

The challenge with affordable housing is that unless it's unappealing housing it rapidly becomes unaffordable housing.

Housing will become affordable when we build enough for supply to outstrip demand, whilst simultaneously shutting down the social crime of buy-to-let.

Just spending more taxpayer cash or more housing benefit distorts a ridiculous market to an unworkable conclusion.

mastershake Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>North Dulwich is the closest station to the

> private schools and nurseries in dulwich, and you

> don't see a high demand for parking there..

>

> Because it has a CPZ surrounding it

Have we reached meme on this thread?

Jeremy Wrote:

> BNG, Canada Water is an example of another zone 2

> station (better connected) with loads of available

> free car parking. Still, only a handful of people

> use it for commuting.

No free parking close by though - having just checked the shopping centre has a max 4 hour stay?

There's loads of free parking round Peckham Rye station and that's arguably better connected

mastershake Wrote:

> >>North Dulwich is the closest station to the

> private schools and nurseries in dulwich, and you

> don't see a high demand for parking there..

>

> Because it has a CPZ surrounding it

You can still easily find an unrestricted space within a 5 minute walk.

Hi Dulwihcfox,

Huge waiting list for allotments. We need more. But such a valuable site is never likely to be turned over to allotments.

Hi DJKQ,

The site is owned by the Dept of Health. Their plan is to use a PPP to finance a new health facility funded by sale of the remianing land. Most likely for private housing.

But we need at least a new Primary school. We have an aging population. Such a big site 27,000m2 should be able to accomodate all these needs.

Hi Hugenot,

I agree in principle but the London Plan see's an extra 2 millions residents over the next 10-20 years taking Lnodon from 8m to 10m residents.

Where should we build 1+ million extra homes just to stand still let alone get to grips with unaffordable house prices?

Why the assumption that people want a CPZ in East Dulwich? If I recall the survey last year correctly only Derwent Grove voted in favour of having one. Even St Francis Road, right next to the station, was not in favour. Kind of suggests this drive-to-the-station brigade are not really the nuisance people imagine.