Advice for middle class parents

My brother and I went to a very posh private school and I remember him and I getting nits at least once, at the same time, he had short hair and I had long hair, he has dark hair and I have blondish hair, he has curly hair and I have very straight hair, he used to hate bathing and I was a clean freak. We are not aristocracy but I had a rich great-aunt (since deceased so can't comment on her nits status). I think everybody and anybody can get nits. Very funny thread. I can still smell the stuff our mum put in our hair though.

I'm reading this with Nit spray in my hair as discovered nits in my youngest two today and both have been too close to my hair for comfort over the last couple of days - they treated too.

Now for some quails eggs and rye toast for supper as we squalor in our middle class filth.

I went to posh school, like, forever, and I never had nits, even with thick, dark, not-very-clean hair (only washed once a week in those days, Sunday night with me Ma singing doom-and-gloom Scottish folk songs about wronged maids dying and whatnot).

When I was a teacher I caught nits that were discovered by a hairdresser who had just finished cutting my hair! She politely asked me to leave - it was mortifying!

Funnily enough, it never occurred to me to wonder which socio-economic class was spreading them round the school. 'Local teacher', you seem to have some very strange ideas indeed!

I've worked out who local teacher is (it wasn't difficult).

I'm not going to post it as I don't think he really wanted to risk his livelihood over a mildly humorous class-War dig. Stupid thing to do though. My kids pretty much fit the dirty middle-class definition.

Who i am is unimportant ,what i have to say is the issue

my views are my own and nothing to do with anyone that employs me

Bishop accused me of being a troll , i find this unsubtle remark insulting

i do not go on other peoples threads pedantically commenting on their grammar and punctuation or outing them ,

like many of the borum users (see above)

i do not go on this forum to upset people but to educate and inform them of the view of someone who works in a school

i teach children of all classes nitted and nit free and treat them all with the upmost respect and always have done

my comments were not directed at any specific individual person, and certainly not at a specific child

i was simply pointing out that there are headlice around at the moment

paticularly prevalent in middle class families with children with long hair

if your child has long hair and you check for nits well done

if you dont check maybe you should

if you are offended by my comments ask the admin to delete this post

or look away

If your intention was as per your last post, then why not just write 'head lice is going the rounds at local schools, so please could parents be vigilant about checking their children's hair, especially those with longer hair, thanks'. Instead of singling out middle class boys with longer hair - your original OP makes no mention of girls at all, something you still haven't explained btw. The whole thing suggested that what you don't like is those middle class parents who allow (how very dare they) their sons to have hair longer than a grade 2, and who might be a bit scruffy with it, and suggesting that they are responsible for the spread of nits in Southwark schools. If that wasn't your intention then perhaps you need to improve on your written communication skills.

As it is, your public health warning has been a spectacular fail, don't you think?

I disagree. When you are in a position of responsibility, your profession DOES matter. Plenty of people (in private and public sectors) have been "outed" and held responsible for their comments and views shared hiding behind anonymous on-line identities. With your clearly anti-middle class views, I wouldn't want you to teach my children and for that reason, you should think twice about what you are saying. The views and attitudes of a teacher can have a lot of influence on kids in my opinion.

LocalTeacher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Who i am is unimportant ,what i have to say is the

> issue

> my views are my own and nothing to do with anyone

> that employs me

> Bishop accused me of being a troll , i find this

> unsubtle remark insulting

> i do not go on other peoples threads pedantically

> commenting on their grammar and punctuation or

> outing them ,

> like many of the borum users (see above)

> i do not go on this forum to upset people but to

> educate and inform them of the view of someone who

> works in a school

> i teach children of all classes nitted and nit

> free and treat them all with the upmost respect

> and always have done

> my comments were not directed at any specific

> individual person, and certainly not at a specific

> child

> i was simply pointing out that there are headlice

> around at the moment

> paticularly prevalent in middle class families

> with children with long hair

> if your child has long hair and you check for nits

> well done

> if you dont check maybe you should

>

> if you are offended by my comments ask the admin

> to delete this post

> or look away

I've sussed who our 'Local Teacher' is too, very disappointed, thought he was a profesional.

I'll not be able to look him in the eye again when I pass him outside the school with his cup of tea and cigarette.

Ahhhh, so you're the steel pans teacher at our local hill-top school eh?

Hmm, should be careful about posting your class prejudices on your local forum. The parents of the kids in your care might not be too happy that you're assuming they're 'too posh to wash'.

I posted on this thread because I found the generalisation made by the OT amusing, but I get the sense that he/she is about to be outed and be ridiculed and I would just like to say that although I belong to the middle sometimes unwashed class and could take offence at the assumptions behind the post, I really would hate for this thread to turn nasty, so just a plea to please keep things in perspective and although some may not agree with him/her lets just keep it as an irritating opinionated post and hope that him/her conveys the message differently next time. And I agree with others that one should think before posting (a friend once gave me a wonderful piece of advice - don't write anything down you would not shout across a room)