terrible experience hat The Gardens, Peckham Rye

nahlin19

Yesterday I went to the Gardens, 184 Peckham Rye with 8 of my friends to celebrate my Birthday. We arrived there at 9.30 in the morning and the place was empty except for one couple. We asked to put two tables together to accommodate us all. The manager Jane, was very difficult from the get go and said no we could not do that because it was very disruptive and we had not made a reservation. We have been there before with large groups for breakfast and have never needed to make reservations. Anyway we were asked to sit at the back of the place. That was ok I guess, but we found the coffee were terrible and the food not all that great this time. We were overcharged on some of the meals and one of us went up to the manager to discuss that. In the end we decided not to pay the ?10 service charge. I went up to pay the bill and told the manager the reason we were not paying the service charge. She said it was not an option not to pay it and I told her that due to her rudeness it had become an option and we were not paying it. From that moment on she went on the attack and said that you cannot go restaurants of cafe's with a large group without reservations. I told her we had never had to make one before and the place had been empty. THere was no way she was going to accommodate us in a pleasant way. I said she had just ruined my birthday celebration and that we were not likely to come back there if she was going to be there.She then said yea pls do not come back. Honestly if this is how you want to run a restaurant/cafe then you are going to loose a lot of customers. Unbelievable really. She was the unfriendliest person I have ever come across in a restaurant etc. I posted on their Facebook page, but they have removed it. I sent them an email but have not had a reply.By the way we spent ?120 for breakfast there, so not a small amount either. The owners should really take a good look at whom they employ.

This can be the sort of experience that tips an active browser of the Forum to sign up and start participating so no worries re this being their first post.

There have been various grumbles about this place over the last few years compared with somewhere like the Dish and Spoon on the other side of the Rye, which gets nothing but praise.

I have witnessed the reluctance to push tables together in the Gardens with other patrons and also had my own not great experience there.

It looks like it should be great but somehow they seem to get it wrong time and time again. Well done for refusing to pay the service charge.

I've always had great experiences there. The reason people are suspicious of ranty first time posts is because of instances where they have turned out to be from rival businesses. Search for "crushed and devalued" to see the most egregious example. I'm not saying this is the case here - just explaining the scepticism of some of the responses.

I was with the Birthday Party and it was exactly as the post said, the manager was incredibly rude, the service was appallingly slow, the food was at best average, the coffee was undrinkable, they overcharged on the bill and yes we refused to pay the service charge. I have been there several times in the past and while the service has always been slow, rudeness was never on the menu. I'm really shocked at the way we were treated and for the record I am neither a ranter nor a complainer, such a shame, a lovely cafe in a fabulous location, could be so much more, we shall not be going again.

as a shop owner on lordship lane, I am sorry that these diners had a bad experience. it is tough running any sort of retail these days, but a smile really is the only way to welcome a customer.... and cheerful helpful service the only way to make them want to return.

hendrie10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since the place opened it has gone rapidly

> downhill, the last few times I've been there has

> either been an incorrect order, incorrect charges

> on the bill topped up with generally poor service.

i've found the opposite- was not a pleasant experience when it first opened; but the last couple of times (including yesterday) have been lovely.

titch juicy Wrote:

> hendrie10 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Since the place opened it has gone rapidly

> > downhill, the last few times I've been there

> has

> > either been an incorrect order, incorrect

> charges

> > on the bill topped up with generally poor

> service.

>

>

> i've found the opposite- was not a pleasant

> experience when it first opened; but the last

> couple of times (including yesterday) have been

> lovely.

I'm sure you aren't the only one, I was just passing on my experiences.

What a shame. This place has the potential to be something special, other businesses may dream of this, but it seems to be operated with huge inexperience. An amazing location and the right idea for a business is let down by inferior product sold at a very expensive mark up. Food in this price category demands suitable efficient service with a team of confident and knowledgeable waiters. The issue I have with the waiting staff is one of pity. They have not been professionally trained for this environment and there doesn?t seem to be a management figure in sight. The communication between the Kitchen and the Floor was anything but smooth. I observed staff using the customer facilities indicating that there may be inadequate staff facilities for essential needs. Parents take note of following please!

Upon looking around the delicatessen and bakery area I noticed kitchen utensils in full view and within reach of children on preparation tables and display tables. Chefs should know that working such an open environment must bring added caution when using sharp implements and baking equipment, such as hot trays etc.

I hope this information is useful. I am stating what I have observed. You are entitled to make up your own minds.

CH

To Salsaboy, yes it was a rant, so what is wrong with that? Bad customer service should not be praised. and to Ultrauk, toys very firmly out of the pram. Some things need to acknowledged. We work hard for our money and when we spend it, it would be nice to have good service. Throwing toys out of the pram yet again. Ha ha!

Having eaten here twice, returning for a second visit to give the place the benefit of the doubt after a poor first experience. I feel it is such a pity that a place with such a great location cannot fulfill the basics - service, quality and value. With the cafe in the Rye always heaving, it's clear that there is room for somewhere offering a decent lunch/coffee/cake...or all of the above.

Chef Hendrix Wrote:

> What a shame. This place has the potential to be

> something special, other businesses may dream of

> this, but it seems to be operated with huge

> inexperience. An amazing location and the right

> idea for a business is let down by inferior

> product sold at a very expensive mark up. Food in

> this price category demands suitable efficient

> service with a team of confident and knowledgeable

> waiters. The issue I have with the waiting staff

> is one of pity. They have not been professionally

> trained for this environment and there doesn?t

> seem to be a management figure in sight. The

> communication between the Kitchen and the Floor

> was anything but smooth. I observed staff using

> the customer facilities indicating that there may

> be inadequate staff facilities for essential

> needs. Parents take note of following please!

> Upon looking around the delicatessen and bakery

> area I noticed kitchen utensils in full view and

> within reach of children on preparation tables and

> display tables. Chefs should know that working

> such an open environment must bring added caution

> when using sharp implements and baking equipment,

> such as hot trays etc.

> I hope this information is useful. I am stating

> what I have observed. You are entitled to make up

> your own minds.

>

> CH

Thanks for such detailed work there Chef.

Archived