Petition: re-open Rye Lane to buses

I am an ED resident who regularly uses the bus to get to Peckham Rye Station. Since July 2020 buses have been diverted meaning they no longer connect. There's a petition to make this permanent, and doing so would ruin one of the only actual public transport routes we have available. I found this counter-petition, i.e. making the case to re-open Rye Lane to buses. It reads as follows and the link to sign it is below:

"The closure of rye Lane has made it difficult, and in some cases impossible, for people with disabilities and those with impaired mobility to access shops, churches, dental and other professional services, banks and railway station. The increase in the number of bicycles and electric scooters has made it extremely difficult for people with sensory disabilities, (such as the visually impaired and people using walking frames and walking sticks). Access to bus routes will increase footfall to local businesses at a very difficult time."

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=500000060&RPID=0&HPID=0

Ok - did try before posting and still can't see it, searching that and various other terms. There's a general one about healthy streets phase 3, if that's what you mean? If you have it, post a link and happy to close this thread.

I suspect that this petition will go like many others straight into the bin.

Have contacted local Cllr Jasmine Ali for Rye Lane on this on a number of occasions never received fed back or information.

That is why I suspect the bin will be the end result.

Strange when social distancing was supposed to be enforced and no buses, Rye Lane was like party central.

Cllrs have a party line to follow.

I'd be in favour of bus stops being put on the diversion route, one on Copeland Road at the junction of Bournemouth Road, which would give closer access to Peckham Rye station and another on Consort Road by Peckham Bus Garage for buses heading towards Dulwich.

LOL - It doesn't really matter to me too much but outside my flat has now become an unofficial taxi rank late at night (it's the nearest the Ubers can get to pick people up)

I don't think this can be permanent without someone thinking up how it'll operate though.

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd be in favour of bus stops being put on the

> diversion route, one on Copeland Road at the

> junction of Bournemouth Road, which would give

> closer access to Peckham Rye station and another

> on Consort Road by Peckham Bus Garage for buses

> heading towards Dulwich.

Why not just open Rye Lane back to how it was but for buses only.

Even with your idea there are many people who find it very difficult and need access to Rye Lane

sally buying Wrote:

> Bic Basher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'd be in favour of bus stops being put on the

> > diversion route, one on Copeland Road at the

> > junction of Bournemouth Road, which would give

> > closer access to Peckham Rye station and

> another

> > on Consort Road by Peckham Bus Garage for buses

> > heading towards Dulwich.

>

>

> Why not just open Rye Lane back to how it was but

> for buses only.

>

> Even with your idea there are many people who find

> it very difficult and need access to Rye Lane

Even with buses only it'd return to buses having to navigate past delivery vehicles which would take longer for buses to navigate through. One of the positives of the closure is that buses have been more reliable using Consort/Copeland Road than using Rye Lane and most passengers have figured out the alternative bus stops.

I'd also debate that with Peckham Rye not being a step-free station that those with mobility disabilities aren't going to use the station in the first place and travel to Peckham on buses.

Bic

The following link may help as there are plans afoot to add lifts for disabled people so the ability for them to actually get to the station is important

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/kent-and-south-east-london-railway-upgrade-plan/peckham-rye-station-redevelopment/

The comments about delivery lorries blocking the lane can easily be solved by moving the bus gate from Dulwich village to Rye Lane thus restricting when deliveries can happen but allowing buses access

Bic Basher Wrote:

> I'd be in favour of bus stops being put on the

> diversion route, one on Copeland Road at the

> junction of Bournemouth Road, which would give

> closer access to Peckham Rye station and another

> on Consort Road by Peckham Bus Garage for buses

> heading towards Dulwich.

I remember many years ago when Rye Lane was closed due to works by a utility company (seems to happen frequently, but that's another story!), there was a temporary bus stop placed on Copeland Rd. This was ideal to get to the station. However, I understand that as there is now a zebra crossing located near that junction placing a bus stop there is no longer possible.

Yes, I now think it is time to reopen Rye Lane to buses, although they need to continue to limit the times delivery vans are allowed to use the street.

Congestion is caused by :-

Unnecessary One way Streets.. Road Closures.. No right Turns... No Left Turns.. No Entries .. Restrictive Parking..

Roads were built for Traffic. Open them all up to traffic and everything will balance out.

Some restrictions are necessary But there are far too many.

Over paid Bureaucrats sitting on Desktops creating schemes to disrupt the flow of our roads and towns.

Financially damaging businesses at a time when they are already struggling.

When people leave their cars at home or do not drive.. and go shopping, they rely on The Buses

to get them home. People do not want to Lug bags of Shopping around trying to find a Bus stop.

Trying to find where the P13 now stops is a classic example. The P13 is a Valuable asset to many.

Open up our Roads.. Get our Buses back where we need them.

DulwichFox

"Roads were built for Traffic. Open them all up to traffic and everything will balance out."

This is just silly, and classic "pub bore knows more than entire highway engineering and urban planning professions" waffle.

Dulwich and Peckham have a late 19th century/early 20th century road layout. The current volume of traffic was literally never imagined when the roads were built. You could abolish every speed limit and restriction and nothing is going to "balance out" to remove congestion. Demand for road space is always going to exceed supply in London. You just can't fit a quart into a pint pot...

...especially when someone is adding more to the pint pot already. There has been huge growth in traffic in the last few years with Uber, UberEats, Amazon and their imitators. The population of London is growing long term and so is the demand for transport.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

>

> This is just silly, and classic "pub bore knows

> more than entire highway engineering and urban

> planning professions" waffle.

>

Never a truer word spoken in jest Billy, never a truer word

Most people who live and work in an area know more then highway engineers who possibly commute in from outside the borough.

Remember highway engineers need to justify their role when new roads aren't being built so they seem to constantly tinker with existing roads to keep themselves busy.

Maybe we should get rid of them all and just call in a consultant when new roads / estates are built. But that's my opinion and perception

I wouldn't hold your breath about that. I have a very knowledgeable and otherwise sensible friend who five years swore that we'd have more than 50% self-driving cars on the road by the end of 2021. I'm looking forward to collecting my winnings off him... Seriously, techno-fantasies usually fall apart as soon as they come face to face with the messy realities of a huge, complex world. We were promised jetpacks!

In the meantime, Rye Lane should open up for buses again. It's bonkers that a major rail hub like Peckham Rye station doesn't have bus stops outside.

"Most people who live and work in an area know more then highway engineers who possibly commute in from outside the borough."

Attending a consultation /? pre consultation meeting at Dulwich library a couple of years ago I was shocked at the presentation of A4 sheets depicting maps of the area with no attempt to combine them to give an overview of the whole area under discussion .

But even more shocked that the individuals running the session had no knowledge of the local area so it was impossible to have a discussion involving street names ,it was back to rifling through a sheaf of A4 papers .

I'm getting so old and pedantic !

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> I wouldn't hold your breath about that. I have a

> very knowledgeable and otherwise sensible friend

> who five years swore that we'd have more than 50%

> self-driving cars on the road by the end of 2021.

> I'm looking forward to collecting my winnings off

> him... Seriously, techno-fantasies usually fall

> apart as soon as they come face to face with the

> messy realities of a huge, complex world. We were

> promised jetpacks!

> In the meantime, Rye Lane should open up for buses

> again. It's bonkers that a major rail hub like

> Peckham Rye station doesn't have bus stops

> outside.

Jetpacks and hoverboards - I still hope.

I have seen the word "cloud" just take over everything in networks recently and am maybe projecting LOL :)

I contacted Jasmine Ali a few years ago about something. She was very rude and dismissive. I was clearly an inconvenience to her and my request did not concur with her personal view, which must have been more important than representing her constituents. It put me off bothering to deal with Councillors.

• 4 weeks later...