Cheap groceries around Dulwich?

Jphobia

Dulwich Supermarket & Off License on LL (Mentioned above, opposite ED Deli) Does a big bag of onions for about a quid. I always get them from there.

Iceland on LL do cheap veg and the quality is fine, as good as any other cheap veg option. Their frozen veg is cheap too and decent, particularly the spinach which is cheaper and MUCH nicer than the equivalent from Sainsbury's, which tasted of fish and was disgusting.

My housemate tells me the greengrocers on North Cross Road is good, and reasonably priced too.

Did anyone watch the Dispatches programme on fruit and veg?

They undertook a secret shopper style mission to buy various items on the shopping list. Turned out supermarkets were cheaper for some things, markets for others. I was surprised, as I thought, given the premise of the show, that it would be markets and greengrocers all the way who were cheapest.

There's really no hard and fast rule - as has been stated a couple of times above, you've got to shop around. And if you're going to Sainsbury's, buy their Basics range.

wilson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BRIXTON BEST PLACE FOR VEG

> Don't forget to have cheap Lunch in the NEW

> Brixton Village

> Great way to spend a Saturday P12 bus from Opp

> Audi Garage in the Village.

xxxxxxx

the 37 also goes to Brixton. Stops just off Lordship Lane at the Goose Green end.

Or want to visit Brixton Wholefoods for your herbs and spices...

The only trouble with trying to find cheap food is the amount of travel involved! You could end up spending more on bus fares than you save if not careful. I wonder how much you would really save if you went to Brixton or Lewisham for your fruit and veg, rather than Peckham or Northcross Road? And how much it would cost you in time too (I know students have more time, but even so). I can do most of my weekly shop in about an hour in various shops on Lordship Lane (Pretty Traditional, SMBS, Iceland, Co-op, fishmonger stall). Am assuming that the OP is just shopping for themself, and not a large family anyway.

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and locations. I'll be trying these out a week at a time and I'll see how it goes:

+North Cross Road Grocers/Pretty Traditional

+East Dulwich Supermarket - opposite of Deli

+Iceland Basics - Milk, eggs, frozen veg - Always avoided Iceland after discovering their microwave food on fridge-digs, but I'll give it a go :)

+Forest Hill Supermarket

+Brixton village, Wholefoods & Market

+Brockley and Lewisham Market

+Khan's in Peckham is great- very cheap and full of staple goodies. I've been here recently and the people are very helpful.

However the vegetable stall by the station entrance is shocking. I was looking through the peppers- looked normal on the outside, maybe a bit wrinkly, though one burst and leaked a sticky rotten liquid. Then when going to pay for the decent ones I did find, the shop keeper fought with one customer and made mock-Chinese noises at the poor Asian lady in front of me. I came home and realised the ones I did have which were the better ones of the pile were covered in this petrol-stinking sticky dust. Never again. D:

RosieH - I saw the advert and didn't catch the show but I assumed the verdict was solid pro-markets like you said too. I'll watch it today at some point :)

Twirly: I've always got a monthly bus pass on me and I don't mind the bus journeys as I can always write or listen to an audiobook. I've been shopping on Lordship lane and it usually comes to ?40-50 per week (including trips to William Rose, which hurt the wallet), though I'm sure we can do better without dropping quality too far. (I'm shopping for my boyfriend and myself - we usually buy and live off fresh vegetables.)

In our last place, there used to be an independent supermarket which we would travel an hour away for just because the prices were so cheap

Giacomelli: I would love to take part in the scheme but the site doesn't state the weight we'll be receiving of each bundle (as far as I could see, I might have missed it) Can you tell me what your experience with them is like? .

I would also recommend Forest Hill Supermarket, and there is some breaking news.

After a bit of a grumbling campaign to the excellent Jai behind the counter, they have significantly reduced their wine prices. I've always loved their veg and other stock, at great prices, but their wine was always your standard corner-shop fare, and greedily priced. They have now made it really competitive, so well done them. Next step is to get them to stock stuff a little more drinkable.

Additionally they sell lovely flowers (as a sideline for someone else).

Good blog!

I am also an Asda fan and recommend Smart Price yoghurt at 55p, mozarella at 44p and salad cheese at 75p. Old fashioned prices! I posh up the mozarella with herbs, olive oil and lemon juice some times. The salad cheese is great chopped in salad or used it with mint in an omelette once and it was divine. A little goes a long way. I also love their peanut butter at 62p which is a nice mix of smooth and crunchy! Oh and digestive biscuits as a treat for around 25p a packet.

Thanks who recoment us as competetive local shop.

Now we are in our 10th year of business, and We are working out hard to satisfy our customer.

we are so determine to bring different varity of product, including wine, groceries, and fresh fruit&vegs.

and we looking more feedback from our customers as well as our services.

Thanks who recoment us as competetive local shop.

Now we are in our 10th year of business, and We are working out hard to satisfy our customer.

we are so determine to bring different varity of product, including wine, groceries, and fresh fruit&vegs.

and we looking more feedback from our customers as well as our services.

FOREST HILL SUPERMARKET