A genuine question for the Kiwi's around here...

Top Banana

There are regular recruitment drives from the NZ Police and I am seriously interested.

I am single, 38, in good fitness, no family issues and sound finances so can use the talented worker section of the skilled migrant scheme.

The questions is...where?

I have heard really good things about Rotorua and the Bay of Plenty. I don't want a particularly large city and would like a nice house with possibly some land. How easy is it to get to skiing areas on the South Island?

Any suggestions?

... these are the type of skills you'll need ;)

Location really depends on what lifestyle you want. The big cities in NZ are like big cities everywhere. The south island tends to be a bit more relaxed and the ski fields are easily accessible if you live in the south somewhere. Property cheaper the further south you go, and more space in general. I grew up a 2 hour drive from the Centrsl Otago ski fields, it was fab and made for easy weekend ski trips.

Rotorua is, from memory, a bit grim (it stinks, to start with)! Some cool stuff to see in terms of thermal activity and traditional Maori crafts etc., but I can't imagine living there.

As a 38 year old single (male?) with an accent you will find yourself surrounded by adoring kiwi females. You have been warned!

What Pickle said. The Bay of Plenty is beautiful but quite isolated. Roto-vegas, well, if a town earns the suffix 'vegas' it's usually not because it's like Vegas.

There are ski fields in the North Island, but the South Island is where it's at.

One thing to consider carefully is climate, as it varies wildly from the top of the North Island (warm) to the bottom of the South (cold), with various micro-climates in between.

If in doubt, go to Dunedin 'cause that's where I'm from and I've a mate who's a copper there.

Thanks for the responses so far...

@Pickle - yup, male. Pies I can deal with. Not a lot of experience in that particular aspect of criminality but I am a fast learner.

Climate..? I guess I like summer to be summer - warm - and winter to be winter - snow. I would like to see the occasional cricket match as I have been to Napier before. Well done to both the men and women today who both kicked arse.

Canterbury?

Christchurch! South Island, temperate climate, easy access to the outdoors and all its beauty and adventure. And still a bit of a city life (though think more big town). I lived there for a couple of years, and also lived in Auckland which I really didn't like.

Christchurch is a nice place, as long as the quakes have stopped! Probably the best place in NZ to go at the moment to see true Kiwi spirit in action.

For proper winter/summer the south is your best bet. We got occasional snow in Dunedin when I was growing up, not as much as here though. Gets warm in summer, but not unbearably so - Central Otago (Queenstown, Wanaka, Alexandra etc.) get really hot in summer. My brother lives in that region and looks like he's from a completely different family with his Kiwi tan.

Crikey yes apologies, my mind blanked out the earthquake thing which is weird as all my in laws lost property (been a long week). My old house got a boulder through it, and according to my best mate who's now moved back and is from Christchurch the city isn't the same since. So maybe not. Lots of my friends live in Wellington and like it for the arty vibe, and I liked it, and if I were to move back to nz this is probs where I'd go

Eta I really miss nz now!!

I'm originally from the bay of plenty and its a good place to live if you are outdoorsy. More beach/fishing/diving than skiing though.

I have a friend who is a cop in NZ (Auckland) I could always ask if I could put you in touch with him if you like. He is not a kiwi so might be a good contact for your q's!

A friend of mine and dedicated Scot went out to NZ on a 5 year contract advising the government on prisons and rehabilitation policies. Still there having become a naturalised New Zealander with son, who joined then out there, now married to a NZ girl. He obviously liked it - the big surprise to me was to hear about some very tough drug and gang warfare issues that went on in NZ prisons - so law enforcement might be a challenge?

We are moving back home to NZ after 6 years away. Been back regularly & active in NZ community in Lomdon. PM me & I'm hap to arrange a time to chat. Can also put you in touch with some NZ copper if you want first hand accounts.

Drugs & 'gangs' in prisons is no different than here - nothing like the US & pretty much all related to methamphetamine these days.

My limited experience (2 months motorcycle trip around the whole country) and with NZ family and a glider expert for a husband taught me that in the northlands of the north island the industry is pretty much marijuana these days. And the best gliding site in the whole world is in Omarama in the south island.

lane lover Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The main issue with NZ are the locals.

>

> From experience, the West Island is far better in

> terms of job and lifestyle - and the people far

> more accommodating.

Err - I thought it was North & South Island - where's the West Island?

I think LL means Australia.

And I very much doubt his/her assertion that he/she is a Kiwi.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> lane lover Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The main issue with NZ are the locals.

> >

> > From experience, the West Island is far better

> in

> > terms of job and lifestyle - and the people far

> > more accommodating.

>

> Err - I thought it was North & South Island -

> where's the West Island?