New flats on Derwent Grove

A new planning application has been submitted to Southwark for demolition and building work to convert a house on Derwent Grove into 3 flats - conversions of single dwellings like this is the real reason why parking is so tight - and something a CPZ wouldn't tackle. Hasn't reached planning consultation stage yet, though the scaffolding and skip has appeared already. Can't quite imagine how they will fit 3 flats into one house, certainly isn't room on the road for 3 cars!

I've seen this too. Its no 19 Derwent Grove, so not even one of the 3 storey houses. Putting concerns about how they can actually fit 3 flats into one house even if they do demolish and rebuild the back, the main concern here is the impact on parking.

I agree with the comment above that the conversion of single houses into multiple flats is the real reason why parking is such a problem in East Dulwich. The issue of commuters is minor in comparison - to be honest, I can't imagine where they'd find a space! There is only room for 1 car outside this house. Three flats could equal a minimum of 3 cars and they're going to have to park somewhere. Whilst I'm not suggesting you should be able to park outside your front door, a simple logic summary would show that if houses are converted to flats it is likely that there will be more cars on a street.

I didn't realise that it was compulsary to have a car when you move into a flat.

I would have thought if you surveyed the majority of small flat owners in SE22 they don't have a car, but most large houses are occupied by families who have one or more.

I can't see why parking problems would be the issue here, surely the problem we have is a lack of housing?

I'm just making random sweeping statements, of course.

But if it's too unbearable to hear random sweeping statements from people who don't live on your street, perhaps a quiet residents meeting with tea and Battenburg might be the way forward - instead of posting on a public forum in the 'general issues' section?

Whilst I don't live on Derwent, I'd happily bet that at least half a dozen households there have more cars than they need (like on every other street). If everyone whittled their vehicles down to what was necessary, everybody on Derwent (including the (*spits*) new flat owners) could park and live together in peace and harmony. Well.. Until the overspill on Elsie (say, four or five cars) ends-up on Derwent and then you're back to square one.

Crazy idea.. Maybe there are just too many cars on London, not enough parking places, a demand for more housing etc

Norhternmonkey

I never mentioned social or affordable did I? There's a general lack of one and two bed properties in areas like this, which suprise suprise is why developers are turning houses into flats. If there were enough supply maybe they would become more affordable.

Would I be making a random sweeping statement by calling you a tit? You're so annoying I might start parking in your road for the sake of it.

I lived on Derwent Grove (next door to the sh*t pit that is currently number 19) for 4 years and can confirm that parking is/was a nighmare on that street and has nothing to do with the number of cars people have (don't recall any of my neighbors having more than 1) it is to do with the lazy sods who cannot be arsed walking to the station but drive and park on said road