Incident at Sainsburys cash machines

Jimmyv

What with this and the bike theft recently it would seem that particular big supermarket is getting targetted.

Would it be too much to ask for Sainsbury's uniformed security staff to be more assertive and patrol outdoors?

This is going to affect Sainsbury's reputation - how safe customers feel there.

Jenny Eclair tweeted yesterday that she had been distracted at a Sainsburys cash point and her card stolen. She didn?t say what Sainsburys it was though, although I suspect it was the Dulwich one as she retweeted someone who had a similar thing happen at the DKH branch.

?just fallen foul of oldest ATM heist, guy distracts me, i tell him to get lost, he nicks my card, i think machine has swallowed it, .... waste time telling supermarket, -10 min later get through to bank, cancel card, he's already used it twice at machine ten min down rd. grrrrrrrrrrrrr- I knew he was up to something, he told me the machine had swallowed his card the day before, the lying shit- feel v cross?

On Saturday, someone tried to distract me at the cash machine by shining one of those high-powered lazered green lights on the cash machine and around it. But I stayed focus on what I was doing because I kind of realised that this could be a trap to get me to turn around in order to take my attention off from what I was doing. I think Sainsburys need to get a grip of the problems that are happening at that particular branch and they do have a duty of care and I hope that Sainsburys reads the EDF.

I don't understand this, surely you only put your pin in once the card is actually in the machine, so at what point did this guy steal the card?

He must have seen the pin being entered otherwise he wouldn't have been able to use the card down the road?

Don't underestimate the deviousness of these thieves.

I had a card/pin stolen years ago and the bank couldn't believe that I hadn't written it down.

Years later I saw the scam on TV and realised how they did it - they will have a method that they practice, to get both pin and card.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't understand this, surely you only put your

> pin in once the card is actually in the machine,

> so at what point did this guy steal the card?

>

> He must have seen the pin being entered otherwise

> he wouldn't have been able to use the card down

> the road?

They have all kinds of methods for getting pin numbers (including card readers). Just simply following the target at the checkout is a great way to get the pin (the keypads at the checkouts are so badly designed). Cameras stuck to or zoomed in on the machine are another one, which is why you should always cover your hand when dialing in the pin and don't turn around for anyone until you are finished at the machine.

I thought it was Jenny Eclair but did not want to say without being certain. So the theft goes as such.

1) you put in your card type in pin and wait for cash

2) you are momentarily distracted whilst you wait for the money

3) thief steals your card

4) you look back and your money is there

5) you have money but no card so feel ok

6) stranger tells you that if you enter pin again card will come back

7) card does not come back back but thief has both card and pin

8) you know the rest

The smartest bloke I know got done by this scam so please do not assume you won't be

If the scam was carried out as described by Jimmyv, presumably there would need to be at least two people involved - one to distract and one to take the card (and to advise you to re-enter your pin).

Because I can't see how the distracter (word?!) could lean across and take the card at the same time as distracting you, unless he was David Blaine :))

I'd say they work in teams (more than 2).

Sue Wrote:

> If the scam was carried out as described by

> Jimmyv, presumably there would need to be at least

> two people involved - one to distract and one to

> take the card (and to advise you to re-enter your

> pin).

>

> Because I can't see how the distracter (word?!)

> could lean across and take the card at the same

> time as distracting you, unless he was David

> Blaine :))

Hiya

Its been done to me (Piccadilly, London)

They work in pairs, one lines up behind you and gets the PIN number whilst you are entering it. The other then distracts you (In my case they dropped a ?20 note on the ground), and whilst you are distracted the other (behind you) takes the card. They then quickly use the card, often near you, and the guy you did not see (behind you) gets the cash out. They don't run away, they saunter away. It takes you a while to get back to being grounded, and by then they have done it all, and thrown the card away.

If you are being distracted, put your hand over the card (whilst it is still in the machine).

Don't expect much from the Police. They record it, but if there is no CCTV and no violence, they give you a case number and that will help to ensure you get your dosh back.

Rgutsell

this happened last year summer on a few occasions ,i witnessed one theft at the natwest. young guy told the lady who was with her granchildren that the machine was not giving money out and then grabbed the card..but a lady on a motorbike took chase..two men young in brand name tracksuits age between 20 and 25yrs..i was behind the lady in the queue.she was shaken..i don't believe they caught them..think they had a drive around the back of where lloyds chemist is..beware they are everywhere

Dear ED readers, Sainsbury's central management have been looking into safety on the DKH site and write back as follows:

Thanks for [my email] and comments about our Dulwich store. I?m sorry to hear that people are discussing bike thefts and cash point machine robbers at work around the store and the car park doesn?t get adequately patrolled. I can understand how disappointing this must be, as you and other customers may now fear visiting the store.

We want our customers to enjoy visiting our stores and using the facilities provided so we set very high standards. We also want them to feel safe so we check they?re meeting these by visiting them regularly and checking the quality of their service.

With that in mind, I?ve been in contact with the store today and spoke with Mat Carlson, Duty Manager and passed on your comments. He told me they had a spate of bags thefts in the past outside the store but nothing has been reported recently. The car park gets patrolled on a regular basis and is also covered with a number of CCTV cameras which are monitored within the store.

He also told me he was aware of the forum and if you have any specific thing that you want to report, you can bring this to the attention of him or the store manager directly. They will then discuss this with you in more detail.

Jeremy Wrote:

> The Sainsbury's duty manager has said "nothing has

> been reported recently".

>

> There are two possibilities - either the duty

> manager is lying, or peope have genuinely failed

> to report these crimes. Perhaps some of the

> victims can fill us in?

Or the reports have not got through to the Duty Manager. If I was reporting a crime, I would talk to security in the store. You would assume that all reports of crime in around the store would be reported up the line but you would also assume that the duty manager has spoken to security. I don?t believe that the crimes have not been reported. Did every member of staff completely miss the police presence last weekend outside the store? The e-mail sounds like a complete ?not my problem? cop out