The old Mag Pub on Lordship Lane (The Patch)

gazza_g

I'm sure if you were investing a large sum you would look into the detail of the business...supporting it with the price of a couple of drinks does no harm to anyone and shows appreciation for someone thinking out of the box....

If you read the details the money is only taken once they reach their targets - we must support ED businesses!

On Facebook and www.kickstarter.com and for those twitterers they are now publicising the situation and I quote:-

"Dear all,

We have been very busy here at the Patch, and a bit slow in updating all our friends on what we are up to. So here it goes...We are looking to sign our lease over the next 7 days, which will allow us to open sometime in April (pending legal formalities). However, we will close for a couple of weeks after that for refurbishments etc...

Regarding food, please stay tuned!!!! We have a very exciting announcement to make in the next few days. Thanks, everyone!!!"

ryedalema Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Love the idea and am about to pledge...just two qs

> (for now).

>

> Does anyone know which primary schools they are

> working with? (My eldest is at Goodrich and would

> love her to experience this).

>

> What happens if they don't acquire ?17,500 by

> April 11?

xxxxxxxx

I find it slightly odd that schools would want their pupils to work in a pub garden? Or maybe the Patch will be using school gardens to grow their food???? Don't quite understand this aspect.

I'm also interested to know what happens if the target isn't met. And if it is, what happens if some of the pledges aren't honoured?

PandG Wrote:

> Cant we be a bit more positive Sue?

xxxxxx

I'd love to be more positive, but nobody has answered my questions, or answered other people's questions on this thread ......

ETA: I'm looking forward to the "very exciting announcement" promised as much as anyone, I assure you :)

ok - I'm starting to worry a little bit about this venture now.

Nothing to do with the kickstarter funding and how much it has/hasn't raised. And I'm all for the "community" based ethos (whatever that means in reality)

But the relaunch/promotion/awareness campaign is seriously haphazard and instead of getting locals enthused, it's getting them confused

And if people like Help-Ma-Boab and me are confused (being the sort of guys who spend too much time in local pubs anyway - ammiright HmB?) then more casual punters are likely to be confused as well

The other thing that worries me is it's still an Enterprise Inn - so whilst I don't doubt the intentions of the new management, they don't (and won't) own the place and will be subject to the conditions of the pub tie - which are usually onerous

I'll be checking it out over the weekend, and hoping it's great - but if I was "The Mag Pub", i would:

1) Straighten out the message (is it a pub? is it some community programme? is it linked to previous managers? will it stay open if it doesn' meet it's funding target? if I start going regularly will it be gone in 2 months time)

2) Spread the word about being Open further. If I didn't happen across HmB's post above I wouldn't know it was open. And as I say - knowing which pubs are open in the area is my hobby

This pub is too far up the Lane to attract casual footfall - the message needs to be loud and clear and visible between Goose Green and Franklins - that there is a new pub just up the road and it's worth our while going there

People here suggesting that If the New Mag is a success they would use it..

Same people saying if Hoopers was rescued they would be there.

Same people saying they hope The Ivy House gets sorted . They would defo be giving them there support.

Same people saying the are really excited about The Clock House.. Defo going to be using it.

Just like if there were a Cinema. they would be there.

You can't be everywhere..

Fox

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

> I'm confused

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6

> ,1077040

xxxxxxx

I'm confused too, but sadly I'm not surprised .....

ETA: Is this other thread the "very exciting announcement" promised?

Is Tony, the new manager, the temporary manager who I heard from Steve was being put in place? Or is he the manager who is part of the new three person team mentioned somewhere by Arnold previously (I can't find the reference but I think the third person was called David something?)

Can't help but compare all this with the professionalism with which the Ivy House rescuers have gone about things, sorry.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,1077056

ETA: Sorry if that sounds negative as well PandG, and I shall be down to the Mag soon to check it out too. I genuinely hope that things pick up here, in whatever guise, as it's just round the corner from me :)

StraferJack Wrote:

>

> This pub is too far up the Lane to attract casual

> footfall - the message needs to be loud and clear

> and visible between Goose Green and Franklins -

> that there is a new pub just up the road and it's

> worth our while going there

xxxxxxx

Exactly, so it's very worrying that its location is given as a major strength on the Patch fundraising page, whereas it's surely a major challenge.

Of course that challenge could be overcome (as The Great Exhibition has shown) but the fact that it does not seem to have been recognised by the new team (if that is what they are) is what is worrying.

Enthusiasm is great, but running a viable business entails more than enthusiasm.

I've found the reference I was looking for.

In the "Big Hospitality" link above it says that Arnold Reicher is bringing in David Elphick to run the kitchen and Charlie Grisel to manage the pub.

So who is Tony? And if there is to be live music "every" weekend, and live sports, does this fit with Arnold's already having bought the leasehold of the pub, as the article also says, as "every" weekend implies more than the short-term?

And if Tony is part of the new Patch team, how do live sports fit into the ethos of the self-sustaining community gastro-pub, as they would seem on the face of it to be attractive to completely different demographics (not sure if demographic is a noun!)?

I don't understand how these things work, so maybe somebody can enlighten me. But I also can't understand why nobody has yet come onto one of these two threads to explain the situation.

MissWiggy Wrote:

>

> I'm sure the people there will have an idea of

> what is happening then we'll all be a little the

> wiser.

xxxxxx

Maybe, let's hope so!

But as there are now three threads about the Mag on the forum, one started a while ago by Arnold saying that he was one of three bidders for it, one started today by Tony saying that he is the new manager, and this one started by somebody who has never reappeared promising all sorts of things and asking for financial investment, one would have hoped that we wouldn't have to actually go down to the Mag? Patch? to find out what is happening!

Why has nobody yet come on here to clarify the situation?

I wasn't expecting a sports pub, if that is what the Mag now is. And a DJ is a bit disappointing, as I assumed "live music" would be actual musicians.

But I'll be there anyway - though all the people talking about supporting local businesses seemed a bit thin on the ground when the Mag was struggling before.

I broadly agree with SJ and Fox. Making a profit in the pub trade is hard and even harder when tied in to breweries/ pubcos etc. In this respect the Ivy House has a distinct advantage over The Patch. Whilst trying something different has to be the way forward for rescuing failing pubs, it's hard to be truly different with a pubco setting the conditions.

Confusion certainly doesn't help if you are relying on public investment. And whilst I still think the Ivy House prospectus is ambitious in it's revenue forecast, the figures are at least there in detail for anyone to look at and consider. The whole prospectus is professional and considered. That is the way to do things.

I think there's lot's to like though about the Patch's ideas. I don't know if it will bring in the required custom, no-one can know that, but just as I am keen to see the refurbed Clock House, try the food etc, before having a view on that, I would be happy to give the new Mag the same chance.

According to this:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,1077040,1077758#msg-1077758

the new manager of The Mag, Tony, has nothing to do with the people behind the Patch, and says that Enterprise Inns say that Arnold has not bought the lease.

According to this:

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Business/Entrepreneur-plans-to-turn-East-Dulwich-pub-into-London-s-first-self-sustaining-community-gastropub

Arnold has bought the lease.

So not quite sure what is going on, nor why the Patch team are not clarifying the situation given that The Mag is re-opening tomorrow?

ETA: And given that a number of people have pledged money to The Patch?