In Bruges

Mick Mac

Great film. But as I'm going there for the weekend, and have done no research, any tips on what to do or see are greatly appreciated.

Especially I'd like a restaurant recommendation if anyone has one, mid price. Thanks.

Oh and where I might be able to see the Grand National on tv would be good too.

There's a good steak place called "Eetkroeg In 't Nieuw Museum". Sort of rustic pub-like vibe, meat cooked on an open fire in the middle of the dining room. Not expensive, good beers on tap. A 10 min walk from the main central/tourist area. You should probably eat there on both days.

Brugs Beertje is a decent pub with a huge beer selection... it's something of an institution, and you get quite a few tourists there, but that's kind of unavoidable in Bruges.

When I went, I got caught out and ended up eating kebabs because the majority of the restaurants appeared shut at 8.30-9ish, so watch out for that. We didn't do much touristy things but instead wandered around on foot - was lovely. enjoy!

Bruges is lovely - and bloonoo is right that wandering around on foot is really all you need to do. But I?d also recommend a boat trip along the canals ? there are various different start points near the Burg and boats leave regularly throughout the day, with the round trip taking about half an hour.

Things to see: the obvious place to head for is the vast Markt square with the Belfort - the bell tower which you can pay to climb up (and up and up)... be aware that the steps do narrow tremendously the higher you get! Adjoining the Markt is a smaller square called the Burg, where you?ll find the Staadhuis (with a grand frescoed hall), and the Heilig Bloed Basiliek (Basilica of the Holy Blood). My tip is that if you visit the Basilica, you?ll find that everyone heads up the wide staircase to the big, ornate church but few notice the door tucked into a corner near the foot of the stairs; this opens into the much plainer and more peaceful vault, which we found made a lovely contrast to the grandeur above and the crowds outside...

We also really liked the Gruuthuse Museum ? the grand 15th-century house of a wealthy merchant. It?s in a lovely spot by the canal and right next door to the huge Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady)...and the wealthy merchant cheekily got permission to build a special viewing room jutting out from his house right into the church so that his family could worship without leaving the comfort of their own home! It?s amazing looking down from the windows of this room straight into the church and seeing people wandering around oblivious to you peering at them...

Food (1): I?d recommend a restaurant called Poules Moules (9 Simon Stevin Plein) - a lovely old building; friendly/attentive but not bothersome service; great food ? not over-fussy, just good, fresh stuff, beautifully cooked and delicious. We had pasta, can?t vouch for their poules or their moules...

Food (2): Friends who?ve been to Bruges swear by Restaurant Jan Van Eyck (12 Jan Van Eyck Plein), which also seems to have a lot of rave reviews online...if I ever get back to Bruges I plan to eat there.

Food (3): Just to echo what bloonoo said about restaurants closing earlier than you might expect (both at lunchtime and at dinnertime...)

Bar: Lokkedize (33 Korte Vuldersstraat) Not the kind of place where you can watch the Grand National (can?t help with that, I?m afraid) ? but Lokkedize is a great place for a drink. Cosy, quirky, frequented by locals as much as visitors. Does food, too ? Mediterranean meals and snacks. And often has music: jazz/blues/chanson. It?s something of a Bruges institution.

Hope some of this is useful. Have a great time!

Definitely echo PennyDreadful's recommendations of boat trip and bell tower, I would also add The Beguinage which is a small park surrounded by alms houses where nuns live (sorry hard to describe, but harder to forget). A suggestion would be to do the boat trip first to acclimatise yourself to the town and it's layout. Can't remember names of bars/restaurants but the beer is wonderful and there are so many that it's best just to wander around and find your own favourite. Bruges is just the right size to lose yourself in as you can never really get lost!

"Friends who?ve been to Bruges swear by Restaurant Jan Van Eyck (12 Jan Van Eyck Plein), which also seems to have a lot of rave reviews online...if I ever get back to Bruges I plan to eat there."

Thanks PennyDreadful....we went there tonight. It was excellent. Garlic scampi were sooo nice. Thx.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Last Irish man who went up the bell tower

> didn't

> > fare too well.

>

> I didn't go up. I was too fat.

`I'll do the jokes

A bit late on this one but can highly recommend Sale e Pepe for the most amazing Sicilian food, Kardinaalshof for fine dining and Books and Brunch for great coffee and food. You can sit and read the books while you wait. Wish East Dulwich had one.