Home Secretary on Ivydale Road

John Hegley?

Oooh he's a smart fella is he.

I am in USA at the moment, just checking emails and connections and so on, and popping in to see what's happening back home, and reeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly???????? The Home Secretary is a neighbour now????

Can't wait to get back home, get on my motorcycle and bomb up and down past her house to greet her and leaflet her to try and persuade her to be on the Police Ward Panel; but only as a concerned socially aware resident you understand...

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mr Churchill's selective memory. He was good at

> this sort of thing.

On the whole though as he did save the world, do you think we should let him off his various mistakes? I think he still comes out ahead of the present lot, all told.

Can't read the book as I see it's ?35 plus seoond handbut I would do you swapsies for: Armed Madhouse (Greg Palast); Cowboy Republic (Marjorie what's her name) and Le Monde Selon Monsanto (Marie Monique Robin), all of which are very educational.

macroban Wrote:

> A fine example of an evidence based policy-maker.

Did you mean this, maccers?

[quote name=Police should be harassing badly behaved youths by openly filming them and hounding them at home to make their lives as uncomfortable as possible' date=' the home secretary will say today.

The crime initiative is part of a government strategy to win back voters by proposing more radical approaches to tackling deep seated problems.

In a speech in London the home secretary, Jacqui Smith, will acknowledge that the number of antisocial behaviour orders being issued is falling, but will argue that there has been a shift to the use of parental orders instead.

As part of the crackdown on bad behaviour, she will urge police forces across the country to follow the example of Essex police, who have mounted four-day "frame and shame" operations by filming and repeatedly stopping identified persistent offenders on problem estates.]

I cannot but help think that the behaviour of young persons just tells us what kind of society has brought them up, for they are empty vessels and if we have filled them with greed and aggression that is what they will reflect back to us.

Surely we need to fix ourselves, not blame children for our having been the most selfish, infantile and greedy generation of no hopers the planet has ever seen?

Is it true that we are suddenly seeing more police officers generally in the area, now that Mrs Ultimate Boss is in residence, or is that just a mean nasty rumour?

How can we track the crime rate within 1/2 mile of Home Secretary-ville to see what happens?

> How can we track the crime rate within 1/2 mile of

> Home Secretary-ville to see what happens?

We can't now, as we don't have data from pre-Smith. We can track if it increases outside the magic circle though. case in point:

Just under 1 mile away from Ground Jacqui (ED in other words). Awoke this morning to smashing windows to discover a couple of enterprising youths had broken in to neighbour's to steal a laptop. Impressively, the cops were there in 5 minutes, guess it's just a short drive from Ivydale.

Can it be right that these cabinet members move in and displace these crims from their hard-fought stomping grounds of Nunhead?

macker Wrote:

> Can it be right that these cabinet members move in

> and displace these crims from their hard-fought

> stomping grounds of Nunhead?

Ooohh I hope so. What a lovely, preternaturally quiet summer we are going to have. Right now, children, not a peep from now on.

snoozequeen1 Wrote:

> macroban Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A fine example of an evidence based

> policy-maker.

>

> Did you mean this, maccers?

>

>

> I cannot but help think that the behaviour of

> young persons just tells us what kind of society

> has brought them up, for they are empty vessels

> and if we have filled them with greed and

> aggression that is what they will reflect back to

> us.

>

> Surely we need to fix ourselves, not blame

> children for our having been the most selfish,

> infantile and greedy generation of no hopers the

> planet has ever seen?

Us? We? Our generation?

I don't know about you and your kids but my son has matured into a responsible adult who works and contributes to society.

This is the sort of self-flagellation that people who live in decent areas like ED like to indulge in from time to time to show how empathetic and in touch they are.

The poor sods who live on crappy estates whose lives are being made miserable by the antisocial antics of thye few wouldn't mind the empty vessels being 'harried' for a while by the police. Then when they're asked if they know what sort of misery their behaviour causes, they could truthfully answer yes. A greater financial commitment to real youth provision and facilities in order to help prevent the situation arising in the first place would also help.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> The poor sods who live on crappy estates whose

> lives are being made miserable by the antisocial

> antics of thye few wouldn't mind the empty vessels

> being 'harried' for a while by the police. Then

> when they're asked if they know what sort of

> misery their behaviour causes, they could

> truthfully answer yes. A greater financial

> commitment to real youth provision and facilities

> in order to help prevent the situation arising in

> the first place would also help.

Well I agree with all that. But I think "real youth provision" would have to include setting a tone of decency and inclusion. As a generation, the now-middle-aged did keep voting for M Thatcher "there is no such thing as society" and then for T Blair (groan). The gap between rich and poor gets ever wider. Denigration of the poor and contempt for the weak is everywhere, to the extent that the most popular comedy sketch is the "joke" that a disabled man is pretending...Infantile, and essentially, nasty. The message that you look out for yourself and if you don't you are just a "loser", that there will never be any call on you to sacrifice a little bit of your loot and fancy-freedom for the sake of another person, has been more and more entrenched. So it's hardly surprising that there are large nos of the young who have never heard any other message and think this is the way to behave.

You and your son may well be lovely people, but you aren't the way UK 2008 will be remembered by history or is viewed now by the rest of the world.

Snoozequeen1 is right. In the mid seventies youth looked forward to "no future for you", as the Sex Pistols said. At that time there was high youth unemployment. Thatcher(vomit) came and things started getting really tough. Rapidly rising unemployment was "a price worth paying". Economic policy deliberately decimated industrial production, but since most large manufacturing companies were unionised, it was desirable to the government for them to go out of business. They also made greed the desired quality for survival. Now, after a couple of generations of marginalisation of the poorest social sector, where the lowest wages do not keep pace with the overall increase of wealth (and god help DSS claiments), kids are made to feel like failures if they don't have the right brand of bling type crap.Billions are spent promoting this culture in advertising. A kid growing up on a crappy estate with no wage earner in the family, whose parents grew up with hopelessness under Thatcher, see massive wealth trousered by morally corrupt high fliers in the City. They also see a government in thrall to these tax dodging buccaneers. What message does that send them.

In my younger years I was optimistic for the future, but now there seems no viable political force for change. Certainly not xenophobic rants from the far right.

Never mind, most of us will be under water in a few decades. Thankfully i will be dead by then.

stereforth Wrote:

They also see a government in

> thrall to these tax dodging buccaneers. What

> message does that send them.

This is what really puzzles me. Surely the role of the government if nothing else, is to defend the nation. I thought this was the basis of your extreme right wing thinking.

But since 1979 all our Thatcher/Major/Blair govts have done is to arrange for the country and everything in it to be bought by whatever spiv has flashed the most (borrowed) cash. Now we're completely in debt to a tiny number of the super rich and states that treat their own populations with brutality, no pretension at democracy. We are nothing more than the world capital of spiv-servicing.

Some quotes - London is the centre of hedge fund management in Europe - - 50% of hedge funds are based in the Cayman Islands for tax purposes - - ...today's hedge fund techniques are becoming tomorrow's mainstream lending'.

What is a hedge fund? I don't think I've heard a better definition than yours, ie the "tax dodging buccaneer".

Even the Sheriff of Nottingham had to pay tax, but apparently, not only does your modern tax dodging buccaneer

treat the citizenry with contempt, they are ****ing the state too.

Strikes me there are much bigger villains than the children of the underclass for elected defenders of the nation to be "harassing", a bit of visible quid pro quo from the top of the heap might help set the tone.

I have heard a few old labour stalwarts around here venturing the opinion that maybe Jacqui has come to live here as a bit of a statement and (quietly) (very quietly) intends to throw in her lot with the common herd. As these seem to be the world's most self deluding persons though I am with you at this stage, currently 100% convinced that a country so stupid that we have sold ourselves down the river would probably be better under water.

snoozequeen1 Wrote:

> stereforth Wrote:

> They also see a government in

> > thrall to these tax dodging buccaneers. What

> > message does that send them.

>

> This is what really puzzles me. Surely the role

> of the government if nothing else, is to defend

> the nation. I thought this was the basis of your

> extreme right wing thinking.

>

> But since 1979 all our Thatcher/Major/Blair govts

> have done is to arrange for the country and

> everything in it to be bought by whatever spiv has

> flashed the most (borrowed) cash. Now we're

> completely in debt to a tiny number of the super

> rich and states that treat their own populations

> with brutality, no pretension at democracy. We

> are nothing more than the world capital of

> spiv-servicing.

>

> Some quotes - London is the centre of hedge

> fund management in Europe - - 50% of hedge

> funds are based in the Cayman Islands for tax

> purposes - - ...today's hedge fund techniques

> are becoming tomorrow's mainstream lending'.

>

> What is a hedge fund? I don't think I've heard a

> better definition than yours, ie the "tax dodging

> buccaneer".

>

> Even the Sheriff of Nottingham had to pay tax, but

> apparently, not only does your modern tax dodging

> buccaneer

> treat the citizenry with contempt, they are

> ****ing the state too.

>

> Strikes me there are much bigger villains than the

> children of the underclass for elected defenders

> of the nation to be "harassing", a bit of visible

> quid pro quo from the top of the heap might help

> set the tone.

>

> I have heard a few old labour stalwarts around

> here venturing the opinion that maybe Jacqui has

> come to live here as a bit of a statement and

> (quietly) (very quietly) intends to throw in her

> lot with the common herd. As these seem to be the

> world's most self deluding persons though I am

> with you at this stage, currently 100% convinced

> that a country so stupid that we have sold

> ourselves down the river would probably be better

> under water.

I think that there is a point to what you say, bigger villans etc. But let's start with the small stuff. Do you honestly think that an anti-social bufoon has a sense of 'politically' why he is such?

He is what he is, because he is. Political theoriticians can guess and second-guess all they want but the change is only going to come from communities/societies/groups of people themselves. In the recent Mayoral elections, people were asking the candidates what they were going to do about gun/knife crime amongst the youth, they all tried to answer. Had any of them said 'I don't have a bloody clue, I'm only looking to be a Mayor', he'd have got my vote.

On your last point I do not want to drown. I am still optimistic about human beings, I think you are too, really,

Love And Peace on you.

macroban Wrote:

> Ivydale Road - pilot area?

Well if the front page of this week's South London Stress is to be believed, the local police (Lambeth) are already taking photos of kids coming out of school, to see if they can match anyone up with suspect descriptions... Hasn't gone down well at the Lambeth CPCG.

• 1 month later...
It's fantastic here since the Home Sec moved in. It's much quieter and I swear the traffic levels have fallen - or maybe it's the result of the six months closure while the sewers were fixed. Whatever, it's cool having our own armed police here but frankly it must be costing us a fortune. Nice to see someone gave them a mug of tea the other day!