Lime bikes (and other hire companies) left in middle of pavement

first mate

Anyone used one? I am sure that there are many responsible users and it would be good to hear from one of them.

Personally I have bigger things to rant about such as climate change. If e bikes are one of the solutions I'm happy to put up with some teething problems.

E scooters also have a role to play but difficult to integrate on our current road network.

In some places it's not an issue though. I was in another, more modern, city with them for a while and there were wide pavements and grass verges and they didn't seem to impact pedestrians. We don't have those luxuries in our old city.

It's not an issue in some parts of London (City and Camden for example), where they've marked out on street parking bays and worked with the companies to ensure that there are fines / bans for those who don't use them. The problem here is that as much as people don't like them on the pavement, many would not like them on the road either (loss of parking). Personally, I would make sure that every street had at least one space for a car club car, and one or two for hire bikes - on the road (not the pavement).

RX3,

Am I right in thinking that Lime has hooked up with LCC? It is a California based tech company, I believe?

Can you say how many fines have been issued against Lime bike users in Camden to date? How does the fining system work?

In some places it's not an issue though. I was in another, more modern, city with them for a while and there were wide pavements and grass verges and they didn't seem to impact pedestrians. We don't have those luxuries in our old city.

It's not an issue in some parts of London (City and Camden for example), where they've marked out on street parking bays and worked with the companies to ensure that there are fines / bans for those who don't use them. The problem here is that as much as people don't like them on the pavement, many would not like them on the road either (loss of parking). Personally, I would make sure that every street had at least one space for a car club car, and one or two for hire bikes - on the road (not the pavement).

• 1 month later...

Rah,

There are already cycle stands there. How, precisely does marked bays or more room stop people leaving the bikes laying around on the ground? I think you know that it won't. It certainly does not make a difference to how Lime bikes are left on Lordship Lane.

Even in the area described, across from Peckham Rye, there is plenty of room to place the bikes, one just gets the impression it is too much trouble for the user. Easier to leave it lying on the pavement, wherever they choose to dismount.

I understand that your argument for marked bays is simply another way to achieve your agenda of forcing car users out, but I really do not think it addresses the issue here.

There are 72 posts on this, maybe two thirds complaining. Have any of you done anything to address this perceived problem? My starting point would be to write to my MP. At least you would get the government's position, and it would make a nice change for them to think about something apart from wrecking the economy.

Even in the area described, across from Peckham Rye, there is plenty of room to place the bikes, one just gets the impression it is too much trouble for the user.

If there are multiple bikes, let alone 20, they haven't been left there by a USER. They've been left there by the company itself, which periodically drops off bikes so they're spread around town. Unfortunately these guys can't be bothered to spend more than 3 seconds throwing them out the back of a transit van. Urban Forest are particularly bad - worse than Lime now.