Card theft HSBC lordship lane

Just to warn everyone to take care, woman had her card stolen out of her hand last Saturday lunchtime... Couple working together - one saying "oh it wouldn't take my card either" aim to confuse, snatch card and woman waits few mins then also runs off. Terrible.

isn't it possible it was the same incident?

But it is common enough these days - I don't think CCTV is the answer either.

1) It's expensive - we will get charged somewhere for it

2) every cashpoint? How practical is that?

3) CCTV is already capturing these people somewhere between fleeing the scene and using the card somewhere else

4) they would just adapt measure to obscure faces near a cashpoint. Admittedly this might alert you to their presence but you should already be doing that anyway

As I say they are on camera already - let's say they do you at HSBC on LL and then peg it up to the PLough/Lloyds TSB cashpoint - I'm guessing there are several cameras which have already caught them and would easily identify them.

What's missing are the people resources to review and then act on the footage - something which will only get worse as more and more CCTV is deployed.

But if the banks installed the CCTV, would they be protecting customers? And how so?

And who would they lose customers to? If Bank C set up a network of ATMs with CCTV, would people flock to them? Nope - people don't flock to ANY bank. They sign up when they are young and for most people that' s it - the very thought of moving banks fills most people with dread and inertia

I am always rather bemused that people see CCTV as some sort of wonder panacea for crime. In reality, they are pretty ineffective for the cost.

Retro fitting them to the 55,000 ATMs in the UK would be a disaster as well. One way thieves get your PIN is by installing cameras near/on ATMs, If people start expecting a camera to be pointing at them, then they will be less likely to be suspicious if that camera is not kosher.

I might be being naive but they surely have a duty to protect their customers!!! If there is already cctv at this particular cashpoint then those robbed there need to insist that HSBC trawl the tapes for evidence or hand it to the police. These twats seem to be earning a living robbing people at various points around LL, don't ruin my pretty world by telling me there's nowt can be done about it.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Until people have unique numbers visible on their

> body, linked to a central database) that's likely

> to remain the case (and long may it be so)

>

> If its any consolation you can drive in a bus lane

> in a car with fake reg plates and get away with it

> too. Happy now?

I have literally no idea what any of that means.