Southwark Primary School Admissions for Sept 2013

We went from 3rd to 14th at our second choice school (no hope of Ivydale which was our first choice)!

There must also be people who didn't apply in time or didn't apply there originally and have now joined the list ahead of us, I can't believe that many kids moved into the area etc. and are closer than us!

Where are you kes and where is your 2nd choice? Ivydale has gone crackers over the last year or two. It never even occurred to me 6 years ago, when we moved here, that we wouldn't get in to Ivydale but the area's changed so much in that time.

Hello all,

the movements downwards on lists will be for a variety of reasons, late applicants and new residents (including those with siblings at or joining the school). Also looked after children and those who have social or medical need which means a particular school would best suit the needs of a child; these need to be good reasons, substantiated eg by doctors and social workers. Be aware also that most schools allocate distance places on as the crow flies so people can move into the area any direction from the school eg in the case of Ivydale, on the other side of the railway line. Lists will stay with Southwark until 31st August.

Renata

Hmmm, I know carbonara but there is a fair bit of uninhibited land surrounding Ivydale which takes up a fair bit of the radius. I found a handy map tool thing though that showed how far 600m reaches and there are a fair few streets I hadn't thought of. Ah well, we'll just have to bide our time and see what happens.....

We went through this a few years back, do remember that a lot of families are on 6 lists so it can look much more desperate than it is. If they get their first choice they leave 6 lists!. We went from having nothing to having our 1st choice just before the summer holidays. Plus there was loads of movement in the first few weeks of term. Good luck!

I'm bit confused about the figures on that chart - I understand the furthest distance bit, but what does the figure in the column marked 'distance' mean? Also, when will we know which schools will bulge next year - 2 of the schools we'd have high up our list for next year have bulged this year which presumably makes their furthest distance figure a bit meaningless for next year?

Any prospective Sept 2013 Langbourne parents from East Dulwich going to the 'Getting to know you' event at the school on July 12th? It would be good to meet you. I'll be there, we live on the south side of the school. We are excited about new developments at Langbourne, and hoping to be part of a strong community around it...

Hi GinaG3, it starts at 10am. We've just received a letter with details inviting us, and I think you should receive one too, if you have a place there for Sept 13, as we have for our daughter, which she will definitely take up. Sympathising with East Dulwich parents who are some distance from the school, but hoping that, when we all get there, we can build up a supportive community which may make it worth the journey ...

At last! Anyone else having good news? We have miraculously jumped from 14th on Bessemer to 2nd. All my other hopes are dwindling though, moving up to 5 places backwards with DV, Goodrich and Heber. Really wishing everyone the best of luck, and hope we all get the places we want for our children. This has been a very hard couple of months.

Thank you number 2, I do really hope so. I wholeheartedly wish everyone on this thread the best of luck with a reception place. Its been such great support to be able to chat to so many people in the same position, I think I would of gone crazy without everyone!!

Loving the positive attitude GipsyMama! It was no doubt a similar bunch of parents that helped to transform Bessemer Grange and Goose Green into the oversubscribed schools they are today. I'm willing to bet that Langbourne will head in the same direction with parents like yourself on board!

I hope so goosemum. Just wish the school was a bit easier to get to for us. Great news for you Gina - really pleased for you. I agree it has been a very hard couple of months - very stressful indeed and certainly did not expect this .

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly how you feel, Gina! It's an incredibly frustrating experience. We started at 6 with our first choice school, and felt reasonably positive, and are now 13th with absolutely no idea whether we'll continue moving down the list or eventually succeed in gaining a place. One other school we were told we were first and are now 30 odd!

Helpless and furious in equal measure probably covers it.

oh no gina!! i'm sorry to hear that! and for you too emski. it's infuriating. it's the whole thing that you have ABSOLUTELY no idea of what is going on in these lists and you often get 2 different stories from 2 different people. i hope it resolves itself soon.....

Emski, Crikey! I feel bad, I know others have it worse.. Where do they get these figures? I honestly think they are plucking numbers out of thin air. Is there actually lists?! I'm inclined never to ask for my wait list positions again, I was in two minds about emailing in the first place. Completely fed up now.

We went through something similar to this a couple of years. Our position went up and down on the waiting list and I spent several months completely on edge. We only got the school place (at our first choice) one or two weeks before term started. I gave up asking about the waiting list as I would get my hopes up and then have them dashed by finding out I had dropped to 20th place from 1st on the waiting list.

Always good to hear a reassuring story from someone who did get a place via waiting lists - thanks Rachel. I also think you're right about not checking your positions too often - I'm going to restrict myself to once a month! There's just no knowing though, is there?!