Peckham Rye Station - rebuild

ryelane

I guess the ones on Rye Lane are set to remain (for now?). It's my understanding that only the businesses in front of the station have been earmarked for clearance at this stage. I'm not sure what Peckham Vision's intentions are regarding the rest of Rye Lane.

sarz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As long as they get rid of the dirty butcher

> shops, the untold amount of hair and nail shops.

Cleaning up the outside of the station will make a huge difference, as for the rest of the shops on Rye lane they will slowly change due to demand. Case in point, Ellies Bakehouse and Cafe Viva on Choumert Grove. These two businesses would not look out of place in East Dulwich but they are just off Rye Lane. Also on the corner of Peckham Rye station Im sure some of you have noticed that three units are undergoing building work. From my research this is set to be a bar or cafe bar by the same people who are responsible for Franks in the Summer. If these types of businesses prove to be sucessful, then more will come.

To those of you who dont see the need for all the nail salons and hairdressers, I have friends from all different walks of life with different spending power who specifically come to Peckham to get their hair done. The only thing they all have in common is Afro hair. They dont like Rye lane but they all say the haridressers are the best and offer value for money.

C'mon pexprincess - all but one of the hundred hairdressing salon's on Rye Lane and the side streets, are run by unqualified hairdressers. I don't mind hairdressers - as long as they are decent and kept in a clean satisfactory manner, and of course, don't discard their rubbish into the streets. Like I said before - wonders how they have bypassed Environmental Health checks.

Qualified are not, they have loyal customers who keep returning and keep their business going.

The matter of the mess they leave is a seperate issue that needs to be addressed by the council. Any business that leaves rubbish and a lot of it is food not just hair on Rye Lane has been an issue for years. Even if every business was spotless, that wouldnt change the face of Rye Lane. The businesses would still be the same as long as the same customers keep rolling in.

Pexprincess - where are these units and where have you heard that Franks will be taking them over? Interesting!

pexprincess Wrote:

> From my research this is set to be a bar or cafe bar by

> the same people who are responsible for Franks in

> the Summer. If these types of businesses prove to

> be sucessful, then more will come.

This sounds great. Araucaria, who is Hannah Barry? Will the Peckham Refreshment Rooms be a permanent fixture or is it a pop-up concept?

pexprincess Wrote:

> When you come out of Peckham Rye Station and turn

> right. The units on the right hand corner,

> opposite Il Gardino. THere is a notice outside

> these premises that they have an alochol license.

> Google the name on the notice ; )

I've also heard about the Peckham refreshment rooms.... I know one of the lead people and can highly recommend his food as we went to a pop restaurant evening he ran last summer. Have booked my babysitter in anticipation....

JDR Wrote:

> I've also heard about the Peckham refreshment

> rooms.... I know one of the lead people and can

> highly recommend his food as we went to a pop

> restaurant evening he ran last summer. Have booked

> my babysitter in anticipation....

I've actually seen a copy of the new menu online - it does sound great!

By the way, I walked past the hugest clump of hair this morning on the way to the train at Peckham Rye Station, and nearly got it tangled round my foot! :D Not nice. The council really needs to clamp down on those businesses that seemingly have no concern about littering the streets.

Nigello Wrote:

> Girl82 - Call the people on 7525 2000 and report

> it. Otherwise, nothing gets done. If you see a

> worker dropping hair outside, tackle them - before

> the locks tackle you or choke a fox/beloved pooch

> or hobble a pigeon.

Thanks Nigello - unfortunately I didn't see which business it was from, and I didn't actually see anybody drop it - it was just floating down the street as I walked into the station!

Maybe a few of those hair shops can pack up and allow for a bit more retail diversity along Rye Lane now that the station is getting a makeover. I just do not understand how/why anyone would dump loose clumps of hair into the streets, or at the very least not ensure that any waste products were disposed off appropriately. Clearly a few bad businesses are ruining it for all the other hair extension shops.

Louisa.

I don't think people disapprove of the hair shops per se. But they do disapprove of the rubbish that many shops seem to regularly dump on the streets.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Hold on, the hair shops are there for a reason,

> because there's been continued demand over many

> years.

> What's the rationale for wanting some of those

> shops to pack-up ?

> Because some white folk dissaprove of them.

> Behave.