Neighbourhood Vet overcharging?

froggy

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Callie said:

I wondered if anyone has successfully managed to get a prescription for monthly cat flea & worming drops or tablets from Neighbourhood vets so they can order it online? And if so, did it work out cheaper? I see the stuff is so much cheaper online but says you need a prescription from the vet to order it.

I did but as I only saved £5 overall I'm not sure it was worth the extra admin on my part. Managed to do it all via email with NV who sent prescription electronically 

On 17/10/2022 at 13:03, Multitrades said:

Hi all

My dog used to have to take loxicom

Every day

So I got the vet to provide a prescription cost of £10

Then set up account at pet drugs online

Vets were charging £55 for a bottle 100ml

On line with delivery I got 2 bottles for the price they was charging

So head up get online if it's regular meds you need

Vets are over charging they are not animal lovers

Hi there, I too need prescription drugs but the price of the prescription has also gone up a few pounds in ND. I was recommended a small dosage tablet for my dog which would have cost £6 in total a day! I got a second opinion from another vet and they couldnt see what difference having her on one of the recommended drugs would make. So removed one and I got the larger tablet (so much cheaper) and split it! 

On 07/09/2023 at 06:23, turtle said:

The financial directir of nv holds over 400 directorships?

34 minutes ago, Maria Mac said:

The financial directir of nv holds over 400 directorships?

And there in lies the problem! These vet practices are being run for the fat cats to cream off vast salaries at the expense of us pet owners.  Apart from Ms Robson in Highshore Rd, does anyone know if there's any independent vets left in the area?

Would like to suggest doing a worm count test for your animal, to see if they actually have worms and so you don’t have to load their bodies with poison.  A lungworm test (and others) can also be done.    Wormcount.com is a lab also used by vets. 
Raw ground pumpkin seeds can be sprinkled on food to kill worms. There is a lot of info online.  I wouldn’t use the pills, collars or drops provided by vets.  Bad reactions can be had.

Those stupid monthly paid subscriptions is just a way to make money for the vets.  There are alternative ways to protect from fleas, but cat fleas are the worst and dogs usually pick up those.  

There is a lot of info out there re alternative flea treatment methods including essential oil sprays.

Oh dear

Hope you lot don't start to look at other large companies that you all use.

Amazon, apple, just eat, uber, tesco, m&s.. 

Unfortunately, we've all sleep walked into larger companies selling stuff to us, killing off smaller businesses in the process and the vet industry is no exception.

13 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Oh dear

Hope you lot don't start to look at other large companies that you all use.

Amazon, apple, just eat, uber, tesco, m&s.. 

Unfortunately, we've all sleep walked into larger companies selling stuff to us, killing off smaller businesses in the process and the vet industry is no exception.

Yes but in some of those cases, eg Amazon, prices are often cheaper than elsewhere, not more expensive.

Also, you can buy items from smaller companies via Amazon. I'm not saying that's ideal for the smaller companies, but they must get more trade that way, which possibly balances out any costs to them.

Tesco and M&S have been around for years.

There is also the convenience factor in some cases of home delivery and a much wider choice.

I'm not sure you can compare the vet industry. I don't currently have any pets, but judging from posts about vets on here, the issues don't seem to be the same?

Edited by Sue
Adding information

On a recent trip to France, I had to take my dog to a French vet for tapeworm tablet and ‘fit to travel’ inspection before our return to the uk. My dog was a bit itchy - a reaction to a different pollen the vet thought, so administered and anti histamine injection. The whole consult lasted 30 mins and cost 60 euros. On my return, one of my  cats had a urine infection so took her to a local vet - 15 min consult plus antibiotics cost me £150 …. That really brought it home to me how much we are being ripped off. 

I always remember when supermarkets first started expanding (70s)  and prices were at a point that was lower than local greengrocers, Butchers, fishmongers ... to tempt people in, then, when the competition from local businesses was quashed, slowly prices went up. Similar model to how Amazon operates and let's look at UBER who tried to undercut black taxis and minicabs and now we are programmed to think "I'll get an uber" they aren't cheaper.

The point of my discussion Sue is that we have all shunned local businesses, including vets, for what advertised itself as cheaper and more convenient and when small businesses are gone we whinge about corporates over charging us because they have little or no competition.

There was a time when local vets who knew your pet were everywhere, but they were forced out of business by the bigger brands who are now not the cheapest. 

As you say, it has happened, a real example is Rye Lane which at one time was a real shopping hub, four deep on the pavements.

Change is gonna happen. People would rather have food deliveries to there door or order via Amazon than using the high street, you use it or lose it. And we've lost it..................................

The point of my discussion Sue is that we have all shunned local businesses, including vets, for what advertised itself as cheaper and more convenient and when small businesses are gone we whinge about corporates over charging us because they have little or no competition.

There was a time when local vets who knew your pet were everywhere, but they were forced out of business by the bigger brands who are now not the cheapest. 

You can's include vets in your analysis.  We've had no choice but to "shun" independent vets as they have one by one disappeared and we have no alternative but to use the chains. The chains (well there are two around here) didn't start out in competition with existing vets enticing us through the door with cheaper prices. Neither were independent vets forced out of business, they were made an offer to sell up they couldn't refuse with the added bonus of not having to deal with the day to day financial oversight. 

Seems like you're not a pet owner.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2023/sep/07/pet-owners-share-your-experience-of-using-veterinary-services-in-the-uk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Hope this link works. I still haven't got the hang of inserting links on here  when on my mobile.

The text: 

"Britain’s veterinary sector is being scrutinised by the competition watchdog amid concerns about soaring costs and that pet owners are not getting value for money.

We’re interested to hear from pet owners in the UK what their experience of using veterinary services is like.

We’d like to hear what kind of vet’s surgery you’re visiting, how you feel about the costs and value for money, and whether you have any concerns."

Edited by Sue
Adding information

1 hour ago, Jenijenjen said:

You can's include vets in your analysis.  We've had no choice but to "shun" independent vets as they have one by one disappeared and we have no alternative but to use the chains. The chains (well there are two around here) didn't start out in competition with existing vets enticing us through the door with cheaper prices. Neither were independent vets forced out of business, they were made an offer to sell up they couldn't refuse with the added bonus of not having to deal with the day to day financial oversight. 

Seems like you're not a pet owner.

Well said  that's  exactly the case.

The issue is that local our vets were originally independent businesses charging ‘normal’ fees but were taken over by chains hiking up the prices. Another example - I have an elderly long haired moggy who used to get a bit matted. I would take her to my vet who would shave off the mats and charge £25-£30. They were taken over by a large chain. When I went again for the same service I was quoted £225 - for consultation, sedation, hospitalisation etc- i of course declined but it clearly shows the massive escalation