Neighbourhood Vet overcharging?

froggy

8 hours ago, tiddles said:

The issue is that local our vets were originally independent businesses charging ‘normal’ fees but were taken over by chains hiking up the prices. Another example - I have an elderly long haired moggy who used to get a bit matted. I would take her to my vet who would shave off the mats and charge £25-£30. They were taken over by a large chain. When I went again for the same service I was quoted £225 - for consultation, sedation, hospitalisation etc- i of course declined but it clearly shows the massive escalation 

This demonstrates another side of the problem, that they are suggesting a course of action that may not be necessary. In this case there had been a satisfactory outcome without sedation or hospitalisation, now they are advising additional, and more expensive, methods. 

I also used to have a long haired cat whose fur got matted but I managed to tackle it myself without sedation (for the cat that is). She let me know her displeasure of course but we made up afterwards.

The interesting (and worrying) thing they mentioned on the radio 4 phone in, was that these big chains have protocols,  so when an animal comes in with a problem,  treatment A is applied,  regardless of the individual pet. And treatment A is always the most expensive course of treatment. Whereas an independent vet would give options and prices and owner and vet would decide together.  These chains have shareholders to keep happy. And profits are king. The speakers on the programme strongly advised to support independent vets to give them support to keep them in business. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/09/2023 at 04:14, tiddles said:

The issue is that local our vets were originally independent businesses charging ‘normal’ fees but were taken over by chains hiking up the prices. Another example - I have an elderly long haired moggy who used to get a bit matted. I would take her to my vet who would shave off the mats and charge £25-£30. They were taken over by a large chain. When I went again for the same service I was quoted £225 - for consultation, sedation, hospitalisation etc- i of course declined but it clearly shows the massive escalation 

Contact some groomers to see if they can help.  Many do groom cats and do a very good job.  One of my cats loved going to a groomer when I lived in North London and not because of mats.  She had a visit there a few times a year and adored it.  

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, IlonaM said:

A few years ago (pre-covid) I'm sure I paid £80/90 on a Sunday. Certainly not over £100.

Yes it was £40 or 45 for regular consultation and £90 for an emergency consultation. I’m sure I paid this only like a year ago 🤔

2 hours ago, IlonaM said:

https://www.theneighbourhoodvet.co.uk/about-us/prices

image.thumb.png.3447a491e446f436e4bc22c35a9f73e2.png

God, the emergency charge has gone up since I last had to go in on a Sunday a few years ago!

Thank you so much for posting this. The prices have definitely gone up especially the emergency consultation from £90 to £165 that’s crazy 😯

2 hours ago, IlonaM said:

https://www.theneighbourhoodvet.co.uk/about-us/prices

image.thumb.png.3447a491e446f436e4bc22c35a9f73e2.png

God, the emergency charge has gone up since I last had to go in on a Sunday a few years ago!

Thank you so much for posting this, looks like the emergency consultation has gone up from £90 to £165 that’s shocking 🫢

3 hours ago, d walker said:

So emergency consultation price is after 3pm on a Saturday!?  As I was charged that at 1pm on a Saturday. These are the reasons I no longer attend this vets. I think they make up charges as they go along! And although the various vets seem OK,  I never saw same one twice 

That’s shocking.   You should ask for a refund.  

We use Medivet & generally find them to be very good, everyone there seems genuinenly interested in the welfare of our dog rather than blatant profiteering which unfortunatley seems to be the case at neighbourhood vets.   Never had a good experience there tbh, hence the switch to Medivet.

So far I can also vouch for Medivet ED. OK, so to me the premises looks and feels like it hasn’t been updated much since the days of Lomax c2010 but I decided to ignore that and see. 

At Medivet 9 times out of 10 my newly adopted kitty has been seen by the same staff. I’ve also felt very much acknowledged in each appointment.

I recently thought how impressive it was that the vets and nurses can handle an uncooperative fluffball, make assessments/diagnose and include a client, all at the same time.

Edited by ED09
Accuracy

3 hours ago, ED09 said:

So far I can also vouch for Medivet ED. OK, so to me the premises looks and feels like it hasn’t been updated much since the days of Lomax c2010 but I decided to ignore that and see. 

At Medivet 9 times out of 10 my newly adopted kitty has been seen by the same staff. I’ve also felt very much acknowledged in each appointment.

I recently thought how impressive it was that the vets and nurses can handle an uncooperative fluffball, make assessments/diagnose and include a client, all at the same time.

is this the branch in lordship lane?

Has anyone tried the 24 hour Medivet in Kenbury Street, Camberwell?  Was previously a non chain called The Animal Hospital and owned by a vet called David Cuffe who had a branch in Abbeville Road in Clapham. Don’t know if he still works there.  Medivet has also taken over the Clapham branch.

We go with our dog to medivet Camberwell. They've been great for us. 

We've had plenty of regular appointments and a few emergency appointments both within the normal hours but also out of hours and not had a bad experience once.

For the 24 hour service it is a rota of vets who are often coming in from other practices. Otherwise we often get seen by see the same small group of vets and nurses and they all seem qualified, professional and friendly. 

I can't say that prices sound very different to what people have reported from TNV and I think it's subjective, but we often come away surprised that it didn't cost more, so obviously wouldn't feel like they're ripping us off. 

3 hours ago, chris_i said:

We go with our dog to medivet Camberwell. They've been great for us. 

We've had plenty of regular appointments and a few emergency appointments both within the normal hours but also out of hours and not had a bad experience once.

For the 24 hour service it is a rota of vets who are often coming in from other practices. Otherwise we often get seen by see the same small group of vets and nurses and they all seem qualified, professional and friendly. 

I can't say that prices sound very different to what people have reported from TNV and I think it's subjective, but we often come away surprised that it didn't cost more, so obviously wouldn't feel like they're ripping us off. 

Are the prices similar to the £165 quoted above for a Saturday afternoon?  Would be interested to know what a late night charge would be.  I presume that TNV advise that emergencies go to Camberwell unless they advise the emergency vet in Beckenham - if it’s still there.  I have used that one and also the vet in Elizabeth Street in Victoria for emergencies.  

It’s a long time ago, agreed, but pets in the last 1/4 of the 20C didn’t get the same kind of healthcare they seem to today… Is it a bit of a swizz? Nobody wants a poorly pooch, etc. but the vet care plans, treatments and consultations seem to me to be of a cost that suggests that. 

11 hours ago, Nigello said:

It’s a long time ago, agreed, but pets in the last 1/4 of the 20C didn’t get the same kind of healthcare they seem to today… Is it a bit of a swizz? Nobody wants a poorly pooch, etc. but the vet care plans, treatments and consultations seem to me to be of a cost that suggests that. 

My parents had a dog in the 1960s and I can't remember us ever taking it to the vet. It probably wasn't even vaccinated for anything. all I can remember is it once had fleas. I do think life expectancy for dogs has increased in recent years which may be down to increased healthcare.

We now have a dog of our own for the first time and even the cost of standard vaccinations feels astronomical. We thought we were done after a year but last time we went to the vet we were told he needed more jabs. We've timed it badly with our first dog as by the time it is "middle aged" and more prone to illness we will be retired - I've no idea ho we will be able to afford it then.

21 hours ago, Froglander said:

Are the prices similar to the £165 quoted above for a Saturday afternoon?  Would be interested to know what a late night charge would be.  I presume that TNV advise that emergencies go to Camberwell unless they advise the emergency vet in Beckenham - if it’s still there.  I have used that one and also the vet in Elizabeth Street in Victoria for emergencies.  

In Camberwell they have Saturday regular appointments as far as I know, but would expect they are maybe hard to come by! Saying that, we've had emergencies on other days where we had to just drop in at short notice and we've always been seen and treated well. 

From their website, looks like after hours is £219+. That sounds more than I recall but could have increased recently. 

If you look at reviews however, there are some people telling a totally different story as always! 

Edited by chris_i

On 23/02/2024 at 11:19, Froglander said:

I was with TNV up until about a year ago and I had an out of hours emergency. I don’t know what they advise on their voicemail now but back then it was to go to the SLEVC on The High Parade in Streatham. In my panic I heard the message and went to Streatham instead of Camberwell (which is closer to ED) & the experience in Streatham was appalling. Perhaps my pet and I were just very unlucky with the vet on duty that particular night, I don’t know, as I hadn’t been before. But I do know I’ll always regret going to the High Parade clinic in Streatham and will never go near the place with a barge pole ever again. A couple of the nurses were wonderful but the rest was truly dreadful.

Edited by ED09

On 23/02/2024 at 23:47, sandyman said:

My parents had a dog in the 1960s and I can't remember us ever taking it to the vet. It probably wasn't even vaccinated for anything. all I can remember is it once had fleas. I do think life expectancy for dogs has increased in recent years which may be down to increased healthcare.

We now have a dog of our own for the first time and even the cost of standard vaccinations feels astronomical. We thought we were done after a year but last time we went to the vet we were told he needed more jabs. We've timed it badly with our first dog as by the time it is "middle aged" and more prone to illness we will be retired - I've no idea ho we will be able to afford it then.

Your dog does not need more jabs.  No boosters are needed, despite what the vet says.  It’s solely to make money.  The Lepto jabs are especially dangerous.  Would never give any Lepto vax now.  Vets now also want to give kennel cough jabs which are also unnecessary. There are too many strains to vaccinate against.    Medivet used to offer titre tests to show immunity for around £50 but now charge over well over£200 as they realised that they would lose income from the annual booster scam when tutting shows lifelong immunity.  Some dogs are non responders and so no matter how many times they are jabbed, they will never respond.  

Cats don’t need annual jabs either. Many vet nurses I’ve spoken to give the kitten vaccinations and then no more.  

Look out for the Complete Book of Cat And Dog Health by holistic veterinarian Lise Hansen.  She has clinics in Denmark and London. She is also qualified in alternative treatments.

Edited by Froglander