Neighbourhood Vet overcharging?

froggy

On 22/02/2024 at 22:41, Froglander said:

Has anyone tried the 24 hour Medivet in Kenbury Street, Camberwell?  Was previously a non chain called The Animal Hospital and owned by a vet called David Cuffe who had a branch in Abbeville Road in Clapham. Don’t know if he still works there.  Medivet has also taken over the Clapham branch.

We had to take one of our newly born week old corgi puppies there last Saturday & in the end he was kept in overnight.  The team on duty were fantastic,  we were given an estimate based on what they believed was required and they committed to doing everything they could, although admitted he seemed really poorly and realistically had a poor chance of survival.   

Was in contact with the team 1st thing Sunday to learn he had thankfully pulled through against the odds - in the end the final bill came to less than half the estimate as the team hadn't wanted to add any additional stress to the puppy with tests they deemed unnecessary.   A breath of fresh air compared to most practices.

Couldn't thank them enough obviously as we thought we'd lost him! 

Edited by kbabes
Grammar

On 28/02/2024 at 18:31, kbabes said:

We had to take one of our newly born week old corgi puppies there last Saturday & in the end he was kept in overnight.  The team on duty were fantastic,  we were given an estimate based on what they believed was required and they committed to doing everything they could, although admitted he seemed really poorly and realistically had a poor chance of survival.   

Was in contact with the team 1st thing Sunday to learn he had thankfully pulled through against the odds - in the end the final bill came to less than half the estimate as the team hadn't wanted to add any additional stress to the puppy with tests they deemed unnecessary.   A breath of fresh air compared to most practices.

Couldn't thank them enough obviously as we thought we'd lost him! 

How wonderful that your puppy pulled through after being admitted and what a nerve wracking time for you.  That’s a great testament to post about this vet practice.  

• 2 weeks later...

Think they score highly on Google reviews but on the bigger picture the CMA investigation will also show that as consumers shopping around helps keep prices down.  Although like dentistry, hairdressing, and funerals this is quite personal and you will often stick to a provider you are happy with/feel comfortable with.  

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the medicine dispensed, or did you mean writing a prescription that will be fulfilled elsewhere? I think last time that came up it was £40c for writing a prescription, but that was a while ago.

However, on looking at the price list online, a prescription charge is listed as £29.50, so it has improved [https://www.theneighbourhoodvet.co.uk/about-us/prices].

Edited by IlonaM
update

Do the women who started NV still work there? They expanded quite rapidly.  They have branches in Penge and Crofton Park. That £40 price for a prescription is/was shocking.

On 25/02/2024 at 18:11, Alec1 said:

They may not NEED vaccinations, but if you want to board them at all, most catteries and kennels require them to be up-to-date with the vaccinations offered. 

I wouldn’t use a place that forced your animal to have completely unnecessary vaccinations.  Better to have your pet looked after in their own home (especially cats) or in someone else’s home they are comfortable with.

Edited by Froglander

1 hour ago, Froglander said:

Do the women who started NV still work there? They expanded quite rapidly.  They have a branches in Penge and Crofton Park. That £40 price for a prescription is/was shocking.

I wouldn’t use a place that forced your animal to have completely unnecessary vaccinations.  Better to have your pet looked after in their own home (especially cats) or in someone else’s home they are comfortable with.

Agreed.  If I were to get another cat, whether vaccinated or not, I would prefer to have them looked after at home.

10 hours ago, IlonaM said:

What I have suspected all along with the chains, but sad to read nevertheless. And I feel sorry for the poor vets, I'm sure this wasn't how they envisaged it would be when they started to train as a vet. The corporates should bow their heads in shame. 

On 06/04/2024 at 21:35, d walker said:

And I feel sorry for the poor vets, I'm sure this wasn't how they envisaged it would be when they started to train as a vet.

I suspect quite a few vets went into the work hoping to make money. They weren't forced to take the corporates' shilling when they sold their practices. It may be that newly qualified vets don't like it. As doctors (GPs) who can't buy into partnerships don't like it. Salaried vets and GPs get paid less, but that doesn't mean they don't want to be paid more. 

Happened recently to my cousin's 3 year old Frenchie who became pregnant. 

Made her go back and forth, charging each admission and consultation on top of all the medication, she passed away within a few hours after waking up from her c-section and we are now in a medical negligence dispute with them. They had even prescribed the dog paracetamol, then looking at the bill afterwards it said Calpol 5ml per dosage, exactly as you would have for a 2 year old, same bottle and charged her £25. The vets is called VETS NOW and is a chain, please avoid at all costs. 

We had no idea that we could take the prescription and go get the medication ourselves, especially for something like Calpol. 

On 08/04/2024 at 08:33, Penguin68 said:

I suspect quite a few vets went into the work hoping to make money. They weren't forced to take the corporates' shilling when they sold their practices. It may be that newly qualified vets don't like it. As doctors (GPs) who can't buy into partnerships don't like it. Salaried vets and GPs get paid less, but that doesn't mean they don't want to be paid more. 

According to the NV website, they have a total of 19 veterinary surgeons across their three practices.  This includes Suzanne, who is one of the co-founders.