Marquee for wedding - good or bad?

Trish

I'm getting married next year and planning to hire a marquee - someone's very kindly offered us the use of a fild close to the church. I'm hearing very contradictory accounts of 'do's' in marquees. What do you reckon - would you or wouldn't you?

We are getting married this year and having a marquee. I think it can work really well provided its organised properly - ie the marquee is able to cater for different weather conditions.

You also need to think about electricity (generator?) and water (catering and toilets).

There was a lot more to it than I anticipated but a decent marquee company does this all the time so can advise.

Happy to share everything I've discovered!

We held our reception in a marquee in my parents garden and it was fantastic (And, unless they're all very convincing liars, the guests all thought it was great, too.)

It was a very relaxed wedding, so a buffet and then relaxing and messing about in the garden. (Spacehopper polo, anyone?). It might have been disastrous if it had poured with rain all day, but I guess a lot of venues limit the reception to one room, so it doesn't really make any difference whether that's an inside room, or a marquee. And if the weather's good and all the sides can be opened up then it beats indoors anytime.

I've also often helped out with the catering at weddings, and more formal events seem to work just as well in a marquee.

We had a marquee in the garden. The company we used had different options, which included heating and decorating options. I didn't want anyone (incl myself) to freeze! We also hired 'posh toilets', which were very good, it even had music! So yes I would recommend it, we were looking for a place with no closing time, and that would be fun and relaxed, and that is what it delivered!

It's the no closing time that appealed to us. We have two bands the second of which is playing until 1230 am after which the party can continue until everyone falls into bed - we have suggested guests (that wish) can camp overnight!

Loving the garden games idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

We had a marquee at home and it was perfect. Downside is you prob have to do ,ore yourselves, eg laying/dressing tables; upside is you get to do more yourselves :) it couldn't be more personal!!

If you do do it, ask people on here for a list of things you'll need to organise

I think the "extras" can make all the difference - some kind of flooring or solid surface if the site is likely to be muddy/boggy in wet weather and heating (I have seriously frozen at a number of outdoor "summer" weddings before), for example. Also we paid a bit extra to have the poles draped with fabric on the insides which made it look much cozier and more special - originally I had said not to bother with that but once I saw it put up I decided it was worth a bit extra! We were lucky to have sunny weather on our day but I did worry a bit about whether the marquee could have coped with heavy rain - but I'm sure the companies can advise on that.

HI I am also looking at a tent/marquee wedding reception. In an ideal world it would be on the banks of the Thames but I ma having a hard time finding a venue? Any ideas peeps or am I best to contact tent hire company and ask recommendations. We love London and are whole family are from SE London so would seem weird travelling to far.

Bloody nightmare this whole wedding thing lols

x